JJJJJAAAAMES
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Are we given the full formula sheet for Edexcel A level maths, as in Formula sheet, or are we given just the section with AS and A level maths, without the A level further maths formulas sections?
JJJJJAAAAMES
Rep:
?
bump
begbie68
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
why would you want the further maths formulae?

my philosophy on formulae is that if we do enough practice using a particular formula, then we end up learning the formula. we also learn how to manipulate the formula, and various processes associated with it. We also get familiar with how best to lay out our work when using a particular formula, and also what kind of follow-up questions we're likely to see.

At that point, we don't need to refer to a formula sheet.
JJJJJAAAAMES
Rep:
?
(Original post by begbie68)
why would you want the further maths formulae?

my philosophy on formulae is that if we do enough practice using a particular formula, then we end up learning the formula. we also learn how to manipulate the formula, and various processes associated with it. We also get familiar with how best to lay out our work when using a particular formula, and also what kind of follow-up questions we're likely to see.

At that point, we don't need to refer to a formula sheet.
I agree, but there is the derivative of arcsin, arccos, and arctan on the further maths section of the formula sheet, and they're all really similar for arc, so I want to find out if its worth going through the hassle of memorising each of them.
begbie68
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
those are the three that I thought you'd want!

arcsin & arcos have very similar derivatives : just the negative in the arcos. arctan slightly different.

I don't think it's a major feat of memory to get to know these three results. The only type of question where it will help is of the sort :

y = f(x)arcsin(x)

find dy/dx, and perhaps (but not likely) find second derivative in terms of y &/or dy/dx

You'll need product rule & some algebra skills.

I thinks it's quite unlikely that you get a question like this on P2, and so it would be more advisable to practise the process involved in finding the derivatives of arcsin, arcos, arctan.
It takes only seconds to find, for example, d/dx(arcos(x)) once you've done a bit of practice ...

You'll be better placed to then answer

y=5arcsin(3x^2) , find dy/dx (and use it for eqn of normal, for example)

Some students in the past have tried to memorise the chain rule results for these. My opinion is that's definitely one step too far for memory feats ...

hth
FreedomFighter01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not everyone is on the same level
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.41%
I'm not sure (42)
4.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
30.02%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (491)
48.81%

Watched Threads