Mattli25
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm planning to apply for the bay campus accommodation in Swansea University and I can't find any information about parking whilst living there! Does anyone know how much it would cost or if there is free parking nearby the bay campus accommodations?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Like most universities you cannot usually park on campus. There is a car park off campus but I dont know the cost or whether you would be able to park there. I suggest ringing the university to see if they can help. However I would suggest not taking the car as you will not need it and any cost would outweigh the benefit. If you are staying on campus you would be walking to lectures. There are regular buses about every 10 minutes between campuses and the city centre during the daytime and less frequently throughout the evening and most nights.
(Original post by Mattli25)
I'm planning to apply for the bay campus accommodation in Swansea University and I can't find any information about parking whilst living there! Does anyone know how much it would cost or if there is free parking nearby the bay campus accommodations?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Travelling west on the M4 leave the motorway at junction 42 and follow signs for Swansea on the A483 (Fabian Way). The Bay Campus is situated to the left hand side of Fabian Way and the main entrance is controlled by traffic lights. There is a Visitors’ Car Park immediately to the left of the main entrance. There is a large Park and Ride facility located at Fabian Way, which is a short distance from the Bay Campus. This facility costs £2.50 per car, per day for city centre travel. If you wish to travel to the Bay Campus using Park and Ride, there is an additional cost of £1.50 per car per day. The total cost of using Park and Ride to travel to the Bay Campus is £4.00 per car. The site is open from 6.45 am to 7.30 pm.
Swansea University Enquiries
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
HiMatti25,

Parking on-campus can be a little difficult, but there are solutions we can offer. First of all, thank you to @swanseajack1 for covering some of it already!

If you have special dispensation from our welfare or disability departments, permanent parking passes can be arranged. However, if that is not the case we do offer out-of-hours permits for purchase that allow you to park on campus between 4pm and 8am on weekdays, as well as all weekend. However, to leave the car on campus during the day you would need to then use our pay-and-display facilities if there is space, or otherwise take your car out during the day.

I will admit that my knowledge of the full set of rules is a little basic, but if you send an email in to [email protected] they will be more than happy to provide you with further detailed information.

I hope this helps!

Jamie
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The bay campus including the parking area has a few hundred parking spaces. There are somewhere in the region of 10,000 staff and students there. Disabled students and staff will get spaces first and students staying on campus will get last call. This is what happens elsewhere.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Here is an example from Bath

Students living in University accommodation

If you are an undergraduate or postgraduate student and live in University accommodation, on or off campus, you are not permitted to park a motor vehicle:

on University property
on public roads within the city of Bath boundaries

We may grant permits for exceptional circumstances, like medical conditions.

Another example from Exeter

Students residing in Halls/flats or those residing within the city boundary (post codes EX1, EX2 & EX4) are NOT eligible to apply for a permit. Read more at https://www.exeter.ac.uk/students/ca...6lBR8GJuq1S.99

The policy from Durham

Q. What are the criteria? A. Students will only be entitled to apply for a permit to park on University premises if they meet one of the following criteria:  they have an exceptional medical need and are in possession of a blue badge;  they live in University premises and have academic commitments requiring them to travel to locations not easily accessible by public transport;  they have other exceptional circumstances;  Students who are active in elite sport representing the University may also apply. NB. Students who fall into this category and who are awarded a permit will only be allowed to park in restricted locations.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have just found this for Swansea university. There is no student parking

Transport and Parking

Where is the Bay Campus?
The site is situated on the eastern approach to Swansea on Fabian Way, straddling the boundary between Neath Port Talbot and Swansea. The address is:
Swansea University
Bay Campus
Fabian Way
Crymlyn Burrows
Swansea
SA1 8EN
Wales, UK
Expand all Collapse all

Parking
What parking facilities are there at the Bay Campus and surrounding area?
There is parking for 600 cars at the Bay Campus including staff parking, disabled spaces, 100 pay and display spaces and parking for visitors to the Site of Special Scientific Interest.
Staff Permits allow staff to park on both campuses.

There is a controlled parking zone in Elba Crescent and Baldwin’s Crescent to avoid overspill parking.

Is there parking for students?
As has been longstanding University policy, there is no parking for students on either campus. However, parking for students is available at the Swansea City Council recreational ground at Singleton and the Fabian Way ‘park and ride’ facility for the Bay Campus, where students can connect with a bus to the Bay Campus and Singleton Park Campus. Students with disabilities will be able to park on campus – such cases will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed