The Student Room Group

Help -GCSE option choices in Y8

I'm looking for a bit of advice for my 12 year old son in Year 8. He has to choose his GCSE options and is really struggling. He is not particularly academic and is predicted mostly 4s and 5s in Year 11. He has to take maths, 2 English, double science and RS. Then he gets to choose three other subjects. He loves computer science so that is a definite. He is then struggling to pick two from DT, history and business studies. I think he would find DT and business studies easier, however I know history is better academically and he does like it. Is he better to pick the ones he likely to get a better grade in or give the more academic option of history a go? Thanks.
It's great that he's narrowed down his subject choices, many students at this stage don't have a clue of what they want to study. At GCSE, grades are more important than subject choice. Regardless of what he chooses he wont be limited in the future as he will have the same basic qualifications as everyone else (maths, english, science, etc.). I think that it all comes down to what he likes, as this usually translates to getting good grades. If he can't decide, I'd suggest asking teachers about the things you learn in each GCSE course, and take a look online to see whether he'd enjoy them (and therefore get good grades).
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest