Roaccutane? Watch

PollyParrot23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with roaccutane. I'm curious to know what the process you went through was and how long it took to get on it.

I'm currently 21 and have suffered with acne (cysts, whiteheads, blackheads, red scars and extreme oily skin) for the last 10 years. I've been on Lymecycline 3 times and have trued topical treatments such as Duac, Hibiscrub and Differin. Nothing seems to be working. I'm six months into my most recent course of antibiotics and my skin hasn't changed.

It really gets me down and makes me incredibly self concious. My acne isn't the most severe but it is persistent and uncomfortable and given the extreme oily nature of my skin, I'm going to ask my doctor about being referred to a dermatologist for roaccutane.

I don't know how severe acne has to be to get given roaccutane but given the impact it has on my self confidence and how persistant it seems to be despite being on antibiotics since I was 15, I'd like to think I've got a decent chance of getting it.
CatnipGlows
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PollyParrot23)
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with roaccutane. I'm curious to know what the process you went through was and how long it took to get on it.

I'm currently 21 and have suffered with acne (cysts, whiteheads, blackheads, red scars and extreme oily skin) for the last 10 years. I've been on Lymecycline 3 times and have trued topical treatments such as Duac, Hibiscrub and Differin. Nothing seems to be working. I'm six months into my most recent course of antibiotics and my skin hasn't changed.

It really gets me down and makes me incredibly self concious. My acne isn't the most severe but it is persistent and uncomfortable and given the extreme oily nature of my skin, I'm going to ask my doctor about being referred to a dermatologist for roaccutane.

I don't know how severe acne has to be to get given roaccutane but given the impact it has on my self confidence and how persistant it seems to be despite being on antibiotics since I was 15, I'd like to think I've got a decent chance of getting it.
First of all, sorry you're dealing with this! I don't suffer from it directly but my partner and best friend do, and I know how much it can impact your self esteem. Both have been on roaccutane. They have said that it works, although to varying degrees, so I think it can be quite personal. It is quite hard to get as it's fairly strong and can have some serious side effects, but if you've tried all other treatments they will probably put you on it. It's worth talking to the doctor about the side effects and contingencies, as I think there are some restrictions on what you can and can't do.

Another note, it really dries your skin out, so be prepared to invest in a good chapstick.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads