BPTC Scholarship interview Watch

Mazza-G
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello everyone!

Is anyone else currently going through the interview process for a BPTC scholarship from the Inns? I have mine in the Inner Temple next week and I want to prepare for it thoroughly to increase my chances of getting one. I am a bit nervous as I have sat next to a barrister who has written one of the questions for it, but he has not given us any tips or advice on it :confused: Has anyone had their interview yet or in the past? Could you possibly share your experience?

Thank you very much!

Maria. :clip:
pinkbuttery1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I have a scholarship interview at Lincoln's this week and I am also unsure what to expect. Have you applied for the BPTC yet?
Mazza-G
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello, pinkbuttery1!

I have, yes. I have applied to University of Law, BPP and City. On the 6th the offer letters from all three came through, luckily I got an offer from all of them, I was so worried! I am currently applying for scholarships at all of them (apart from ULaw as I already applied and my interview was recorded because of that. I've emailed them asking when they will let me know about the outcome). All 3 are in London as I wanted to stay closer to home because of commuting. What about you?
I am looking through YouTube videos and forums on here to find some tips and types of questions. How are you preparing?
(Original post by pinkbuttery1)
Hi, I have a scholarship interview at Lincoln's this week and I am also unsure what to expect. Have you applied for the BPTC yet?
pinkbuttery1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hiya! Those are the three I applied to as well, and I also got offers from all three. I applied for a scholarship for ulaw and I was told I would hear the outcome this week. For BPP I received a letter yesterday saying I had been awarded an excellence scholarship for a minimum of £1000, and they will be in touch to arrange an interview to determine the amount of the scholarship. I am just preparing by reading through my application and current legal affairs. I’m not really sure how else to prepare? Plus I am so busy with my dissertation!
Mazza-G
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Oh my goodness! Congratulations on it! How did you apply for that one? What do you have to do to be eligible? On my offer email they told me that they will invite me to an interview about the Advocacy Scholarship, but that will be after 25th of March which is VERY close to the time by which we must accept offers. When they called, they said that places go quite quickly, so the pressure is on!
Do you have any good websites for current legal affairs? I look at Legal Cheek Monday round up, but I suppose there might be something else out there that would work just as well?
Good luck with the dissertation! I am in the same shoes, mine is due on the 2nd of May and I need to start research now so that I don't panic as much when it gets to it. Plus revision, of course, so workload is not helping.
Hiya! Those are the three I applied to as well, and I also got offers from all three. I applied for a scholarship for ulaw and I was told I would hear the outcome this week. For BPP I received a letter yesterday saying I had been awarded an excellence scholarship for a minimum of £1000, and they will be in touch to arrange an interview to determine the amount of the scholarship. I am just preparing by reading through my application and current legal affairs. I’m not really sure how else to prepare? Plus I am so busy with my dissertation!
RMJohnson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I heard back from UoL today, was awarded £4000 for the senior advocacy scholarship. Havent heard from the Inn or City yet though
AndrewMarkSP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Good luck to you all!
Mazza-G
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
They already replied to you? Congratulations on the scholarship, that sounds fantastic! I dream of at least one of them giving me something, all these costs are ginormous for students to be able to pull off. All I keep getting is phone calls from BPP and emails from UoL, but for all the wrong reasons! The Inn emailed today saying the results will be out on 29th, the rest said "end of March" (how much of an end is there if the deadline is so fast approaching?!).
(Original post by RMJohnson)
I heard back from UoL today, was awarded £4000 for the senior advocacy scholarship. Havent heard from the Inn or City yet though
RMJohnson
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Yeah I got the email from Georgina this morning about Inner Scholarships. I'm not holding out for anything from the inn though, I messed up my case analysis entirely - mind went blank. But you win some you lose some. Yea UoL emailed me this morning just with the amount I received and told me it was the senior advocacy scholarship I had been awarded. Attached some literature also about the role you play as an advocacy scholar on the campus. Good luck!! I unsubscribed to BPP's emails because they drove me mad.
(Original post by Mazza-G)
They already replied to you? Congratulations on the scholarship, that sounds fantastic! I dream of at least one of them giving me something, all these costs are ginormous for students to be able to pull off. All I keep getting is phone calls from BPP and emails from UoL, but for all the wrong reasons! The Inn emailed today saying the results will be out on 29th, the rest said "end of March" (how much of an end is there if the deadline is so fast approaching?!).
Mazza-G
Rep:
?
Thank you, good luck to you too! You already got 4 grand, so not bad at all!
I agree on the BPP emails, they are too much. And Orlando keeps calling me to ask about my progress (I'd much rather he told me if I get money or not, the sooner, the better).
Which case did you do? I did criminal and I tried my best to give them all the information they ask for in a competent way, but I don't think it was my strongest answers out of all the questions they have asked. The best one was "What would you have wanted us to ask you?", which is the ultimate dream question.
Could I ask you about the advocacy scholarship? I applied and went for the interview, but it wasn't specifically "senior" advocacy, it was just "advocacy scholarship". Is there a difference?
(Original post by RMJohnson)
Yeah I got the email from Georgina this morning about Inner Scholarships. I'm not holding out for anything from the inn though, I messed up my case analysis entirely - mind went blank. But you win some you lose some. Yea UoL emailed me this morning just with the amount I received and told me it was the senior advocacy scholarship I had been awarded. Attached some literature also about the role you play as an advocacy scholar on the campus. Good luck!! I unsubscribed to BPP's emails because they drove me mad.
RMJohnson
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I did the criminal case also, but literally sat down and forgot everything. Started talking about the facts of the case rather than the issue of the case. I spent too much time reading it and not enough time analysing it, live and learn!

From what I can tell, you just apply for the scholarship and you are awarded one of the 4 types. Master/Mistress of the moot (1 award), Senior advocacy (2 scholarships) advocacy scholarships (24 I believe?). I think if you were awarded one you will have been notified today - as master of the moot / senior advocacy scholars essentially run the advocacy societies in each of their campuses. But I could be entirely wrong, I just know that I was notified today! Im sure if you email [email protected] they might give you some solid information?
pinkbuttery1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Well done Mazza-G thats amazing! Which Inn's have you both applied for a scholarship? I had my interview at Lincoln's and they also said the end of March, but its driving me mad checking my emails. I have another interview with BPP in a couple of weeks for the excellence scholarship, as they award £1000 initially but can up the amount based on your interview. Theres just so much to think about.
Mazza-G
Rep:
?
Hi pinkbuttety1,

Thank you! Once again, well done with your excellence scholarship, quite difficult to get to that stage! Good luck with the interview! I'm having mine for advocacy scholarship next Thursday, they've just sent out the problem to prepare for it.
So are you thinking of choosing BPP then since they offer you some scholarships already? How did you base your decision and which course are you doing (with LLM or without?)?
I'm planning to do with LLM in order to boost career prospects but also to have that extra debt *cough* to help me cover at least half of the course. I'm struggling to make the decision as they all don't tell us until end of march which is dangerously close to the deadline as well as each don't have much flexibility with payments. My parents are suggesting Ulaw as they have either 1, 3 or 10 monthly instalments, which makes it easier to cover. City has £9250 before September and the rest before end of January, which isn't very helpful, and with BPP I'm not entirely sure, so it's a bit stressful right now in that sense.
Well done Mazza-G thats amazing! Which Inn's have you both applied for a scholarship? I had my interview at Lincoln's and they also said the end of March, but its driving me mad checking my emails. I have another interview with BPP in a couple of weeks for the excellence scholarship, as they award £1000 initially but can up the amount based on your interview. Theres just so much to think about.
pinkbuttery1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi Mazza-G

Well done with your advocacy scholarship and good luck! I haven't received anything yet from BPP so maybe it is something different for each type of scholarship. I am still undecided who to pick to be honest. Although BPP have offered the £1000, ULAW take some money off if you accept your offer in the first round of applications, and I like the fact that you can pay in 10 instalments, whereas BPP I think its 4. I am also doing the LLM in order to help pay towards it, but also as it seems like better value for money somehow?! I also got a place at city but I am not accepting based on the amount of money they want before September. It is stressful right now along with uni work and dissertation!
Mazza-G
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Thank you!
From what I've calculated, ULaw is the most expensive to begin with as it is £19,985 (basically 20) if you do the BPTC LLM, and then with the discount it becomes £18,735 (these are London prices). BPP then becomes the most expensive one with £19,070 and City is stable at £18,500 and will discount you if you get a first by £1500. I cannot find the information about the 4 instalments in BPP, their website takes you to finance page where it's supposed to have more detailed payment plan, where it says go on course page to find it, and it's just a loop which is missing this important piece of information! :cyber:
It does seem to be better value for money if you do it with the LLM as from what I have understood, it will give you better chances of gaining pupillage etc.
I am quite upset with City's rigidity in this financial plan, I thought it was the least commercial out of all three, but now it seems like it's just as bad as it wants your money "right here, right now", which is difficult to produce just like that! Hopefully, I will manage to find out more about it tomorrow and post it on here in case anyone else is interested...
Update: I just tried to start my finance application and this is the message I got from it: "Based on your year of study and domicile, we cannot provide a Postgraduate Master's Loan for you at this time." - anyone else experiencing this problem? How does one overcome that? :dontknow:
Hi Mazza-G

Well done with your advocacy scholarship and good luck! I haven't received anything yet from BPP so maybe it is something different for each type of scholarship. I am still undecided who to pick to be honest. Although BPP have offered the £1000, ULAW take some money off if you accept your offer in the first round of applications, and I like the fact that you can pay in 10 instalments, whereas BPP I think its 4. I am also doing the LLM in order to help pay towards it, but also as it seems like better value for money somehow?! I also got a place at city but I am not accepting based on the amount of money they want before September. It is stressful right now along with uni work and dissertation!
Last edited by Mazza-G; 2 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (161)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.9%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.69%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (125)
14.38%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.67%
How can I be the best version of myself? (268)
30.84%

Watched Threads