anjolao
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No worries haha!

I really enjoy it- I work for a regulatory body so quite different than being in a law firm. Work is very intellectually stimulating which I like a lot, and my hours are great!

I haven’t done the LPC at all so feel a bit lucky I have this job, but maybe look for paralegal roles at regulators or companies as I feel they would be a bit more flexible and willing to teach, so would be more open to non LPC applicants. I think they also would be more willing to offer part-time roles, although I do think it would be difficult to be a paralegal part time. I think the only way is if a firm or company offer flexible or compressed hours to accommodate studies if they’re nice!

I hope this is helpful 😊
(Original post by Mazza-G)
Hi anjolao,
How is it, being a paralegal? Is it something graduates can do, or do you really need to have that "highly desirable LPC" and previous experience? Also, would you know if there are any firms which would offer this position part time? Which one are you in and are you happy being there?
Sorry to bombard with questions 😅
Last edited by anjolao; 1 year ago
satureia
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello! I have absolutely zero experience looking for paralegal jobs, but I can see another poster's now provided some helpful advice on that. I'd be looking for full-time roles, as after several feverish 1am cost-benefit analyses, I'm pretty much decided that if I don't get an Inns scholarship, I'll defer/reapply for the BPTC and give it another shot next year. That's of course unless I manage to secure pupillage - or more realistically, win the lottery. I'm worried that the fact I have a GDL scholarship might actually go against me if I don't get one for the BPTC: it's going to look as if my potential went unrealised. I just want to know so I can start planning!! Planning stops the tears!
(Original post by Mazza-G)
Hi Satureia,

Although I applied to Inner, so procedure might be slightly different, I would say look out for the email (you probably already do that). In my interview they told me it will be released at the end of March, last week they emailed saying results will be announced on the 29th. So it might be the case for Lincoln's too. I'm sure they can reply to you if you email. Good luck with it!
As for jobs, that's what I keep hearing from my coursemates - paralegal. Could you share any experience from looking for those? I spent a lot of time yesterday looking through LinkedIn and they are all full-time jobs! Are there no part-time paralegals? Do all of them have to say that "LPC is HIGHLY preferable"? Because that's a bit unfair. You do a law degree, you are a competent individual, yet there are no jobs for you to do after you graduate. Have you considered any other jobs, and if so, which ones? Also, is there a website that you use?
Mazza-G
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I didn't get the scholarship... how about you guys? Has anyone tried applying for the master's loan? It tells me I cannot apply for it, for some reason, and I don't know if that will change. BPP said that they'll inform 24 hours before the acceptance deadline.
pinkbuttery1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am still waiting to hear! I thought I would have heard by now seeing as we have to accept the place for the BPTC by tuesday! I rang and they that the emails havent gone out yet. I am also going to apply for the masters loan, I am so stressed out!
Mazza-G
Rep:
?
This is what I got from SFE when I tried to apply for finance: "Based on your year of study and domicile, we cannot provide a Postgraduate Master's Loan for you at this time."... There is no info on 2019-20 year for a master's loan. What kind of financing companies are you all considering? How are you going to facilitate this? I need your opinions, we're all in the same boat now...
pinkbuttery1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I dont think you can apply until 31st May 2019- thats why you are getting the error message. I am still waiting to hear from Lincoln's, apparently they are sending out emails on Monday. I will be working part time to help pay towards the cost of the BPTC along with the student finance for the masters.
satureia
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Monday?! Oh boy. Did you hear this straight from Lincoln’s?
(Original post by pinkbuttery1)
I dont think you can apply until 31st May 2019- thats why you are getting the error message. I am still waiting to hear from Lincoln's, apparently they are sending out emails on Monday. I will be working part time to help pay towards the cost of the BPTC along with the student finance for the masters.
anjolao
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have been checking my emails non-stop all day...won’t be pleasant doing that again on Monday!
LARO
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has anyone heard from Lincoln’s ? Or spoken to them directly to find out when they’re sending out emails?
anjolao
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
On the pupillage thread someone called Lincoln’s today and was told that we’ll find out on Wednesday
LARO
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Owwww. Thanks for letting me know!

I’m stuck between ULAW and BPP. I think I want to go to ULAW but drawn to the career promise at bpp.
(Original post by anjolao)
On the pupillage thread someone called Lincoln’s today and was told that we’ll find out on Wednesday
pinkbuttery1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya, I found out yesterday that Lincoln's Inn awarded me the Lord Denning scholarship! I really cant quite believe it, all the stressing out and checking emails was worth the wait!
Mazza-G
Rep:
?
Well done, pinkbuttery1!

What an outstanding achievement! Thank you for your replies on this forum, glad to have had all of you guys here during this stressful time. Unfortunately, I scored out on all 4 scholarships, but I have accepted my offer from City and will be applying again in the second round, hopefully being able to obtain feedback and put it into practice to finally get some financial help. Student Finances also replied, they said that their postgraduate applications will be opening in the summer and first payment paid on the start of the course (so I might have to cover the first instalment by my own means, unless City are aware of this).

(Original post by pinkbuttery1)
Hiya, I found out yesterday that Lincoln's Inn awarded me the Lord Denning scholarship! I really cant quite believe it, all the stressing out and checking emails was worth the wait!
jakwjgniwnf
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi all - I have a small dilemma regarding Lincoln's Inn accommodation. I have been offered a room by Lincoln's Inn which works out to much cheaper than my other option (and a MUCH better location), but the house rules seem rather strict. I am wondering if anybody knows through experience how strictly they are enforced, particularly with regards to bringing guests? Feel free to DM. Thank you!
millie10111111
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi - just wondering whether anyone here has a copy of the application form for Lincoln's Inn bar course scholarship? TIA! xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (177)
24.58%
Better than expected (145)
20.14%
Worse than expected (398)
55.28%

Watched Threads