MOT and Tax expired Watch

studentbertie68
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am a 68 year old female drive...never had any convictions in all years driving..yesterday having had a particularly bad week due to death of family pet I drove 50 miles to a shopping centre...left car...came back...to clamped...rang number...it seems MOT ran out...my fault totally...as garage didnt inform me as they promised...as a result my monthly debit payments for my car tax were stopped by DVLA...I noticed stopped last month and was on my list to do...surely they should have advised me of this???????????????????????// I am now back in Carlisle having got the train home..they said at the latest it would be 12.00 today before release...so then I have to get train back to Newcastle....surely DVLA should have advised me?????I was putting car in garage next week anyway to get shocks sorted so left them voicemail booking it also in for MOT and wil leave it at their premises on way back with it..hopefully I can get it released today.Just spent ten minutes on phone to them and very busy so had to leave a message!!!!
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by studentbertie68)
I am a 68 year old female drive...never had any convictions in all years driving..yesterday having had a particularly bad week due to death of family pet I drove 50 miles to a shopping centre...left car...came back...to clamped...rang number...it seems MOT ran out...my fault totally...as garage didnt inform me as they promised...as a result my monthly debit payments for my car tax were stopped by DVLA...I noticed stopped last month and was on my list to do...surely they should have advised me of this???????????????????????// I am now back in Carlisle having got the train home..they said at the latest it would be 12.00 today before release...so then I have to get train back to Newcastle....surely DVLA should have advised me?????I was putting car in garage next week anyway to get shocks sorted so left them voicemail booking it also in for MOT and wil leave it at their premises on way back with it..hopefully I can get it released today.Just spent ten minutes on phone to them and very busy so had to leave a message!!!!
You can't get it released without taking it directly to an MOT centre for a test (in the area!) and paying your tax. Your insurance is also null and void.

At 68, you should know better.

Please don't bump old threads.
studentbertie68
Rep:
?
No...I have chcked with DVLA you can drive a very very long way to your chosen MOT centre...in an ideal situation it should be prebooked..but sorted that by a phone call...and also told guy it was going in next week .,..he seemed very satisfied with that.....and some insurance companies cover cars with no active MOT...mine does...check with the company...some do some dont....so I can get it bring it home...drop it at garage...tho they wont check...then send MOT to them..all good....the tax I can reactivate online as thats the way they do with monthly tax which is my chosen way to pay...as to your coment at 68 I should know better...my dog was put to sleep this week...hence brain not in right place...and other personal family problems including another death....I aware my fault...that remark was not required...and you were actually incorrect in your assmption..I checked the facts!!! Perhaps you have some growing up to do...................
(Original post by IWMTom)
You can't get it released without taking it directly to an MOT centre for a test (in the area!) and paying your tax. Your insurance is also null and void.

At 68, you should know better.

Please don't bump old threads.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No...I have chcked with DVLA you can drive a very very long way to your chosen MOT centre...in an ideal situation it should be prebooked..but sorted that by a phone call...and also told guy it was going in next week .,..he seemed very satisfied with that.....and some insurance companies cover cars with no active MOT...mine does...check with the company...some do some dont....so I can get it bring it home...drop it at garage...tho they wont check...then send MOT to them..all good....the tax I can reactivate online as thats the way they do with monthly tax which is my chosen way to pay...as to your coment at 68 I should know better...my dog was put to sleep this week...hence brain not in right place...and other personal family problems including another death....I aware my fault...that remark was not required...and you were actually incorrect in your assmption..I checked the facts!!! Perhaps you have some growing up to do...................
You cannot tax your car without a valid MOT.

Your insurance will be null and void without tax and an MOT - read your small print.

The fact you're planning on driving a significant distance on what could be an unsafe car without any coverage for third party risks signifies that you should NOT be on the road.

Either put it in for an urgent MOT in the area where your car currently is, or get it towed to your local area. Don't be a fool.

Your attitude stinks given your current proposed situation.
studentbertie68
Rep:
?
I repeat what I said I have contaqcted my car insurance and they cover my car....some do some dont...I said that...having a current MOT does not actually confirm the car is roadworthy....again contacted my MOT centre and DVLA and my local police...I am a neighbourhood Watch Co ordinator...all confirmed oK...DVLA website confirms you can drive your car without a tax...to an MOT centre.....hundreds of miles if required.....can you actually read I wonder...plonker

Your insurance will be null and void without tax and an MOT - read your small print.

The fact you're planning on driving a significant distance on what could be an unsafe car without any coverage for third party risks signifies that you should NOT be on the road.

Either put it in for an urgent MOT in the area where your car currently is, or get it towed to your local area. Don't be a fool.

IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I repeat what I said I have contaqcted my car insurance and they cover my car....some do some dont...I said that...having a current MOT does not actually confirm the car is roadworthy....again contacted my MOT centre and DVLA and my local police...I am a neighbourhood Watch Co ordinator...all confirmed oK...DVLA website confirms you can drive your car without a tax...to an MOT centre.....hundreds of miles if required.....can you actually read I wonder...plonker
You're going to drive it directly from where it's currently parked to the MOT centre are you?

I can't wait to see you on an episode of Police Interceptors.

It would seem that with age does not come wisdom! Hope I never come across you on the roads!
Emma:-)
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I agree
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I don't currently have car insurance so don't have a policy to check, but I'm not convinced that you're correct here. If you were correct then you'd have no legal way to get a SORN'd car to a pre-booked MOT without having it towed there.
mphysical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is an urban myth that having no tax means that insurance is void.
Same for having no MOT.

There may be some obscure company that does enforce this, but generally you are still insured
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
I don't currently have car insurance so don't have a policy to check, but I'm not convinced that you're correct here. If you were correct then you'd have no legal way to get a SORN'd car to a pre-booked MOT without having it towed there.
(Original post by mphysical)
It is an urban myth that having no tax means that insurance is void.
Same for having no MOT.

There may be some obscure company that does enforce this, but generally you are still insured
If the OP drove directly from the car park to the appointment then technically everything is above board, but I have serious doubts that they're going to drive from Newcastle straight to their appointment in Carlisle; what it they hit traffic?

Any Police officer who comes across the car will have serious concerns about the length of the journey despite what the bloke in an office at the DVLA said.

Any stops or detours and they'd be in seriously hot water. I cannot fathom why they wouldn't just put it through its MOT there to save risk!
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If the OP drove directly from the car park to the appointment then technically everything is above board, but I have serious doubts that they're going to drive from Newcastle straight to their appointment in Carlisle; what it they hit traffic?

Any Police officer who comes across the car will have serious concerns about the length of the journey despite what the bloke in an office at the DVLA said.

Any stops or detours and they'd be in seriously hot water. I cannot fathom why they wouldn't just put it through its MOT there to save risk!
Oh I agree putting it through the MOT first is the way to go. I just don't think that no MOT on its own is sufficient for insurance to be invalid.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh I agree putting it through the MOT first is the way to go. I just don't think that no MOT on its own is sufficient for insurance to be invalid.
After glancing at my policy documents, it's never explicitly stated either way.

I was quite confident there'd be something along the lines of "a valid MOT certificate is required unless you are travelling to a pre-booked MOT appointment", but I struggled to find anything. Interesting.
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I was quite confident there'd be something along the lines of "a valid MOT certificate is required unless you are travelling to a pre-booked MOT appointment", but I struggled to find anything. Interesting.
I did a bit of googling last night and it seems that the worst case would be that your insurance might try to refuse a claim for damage to your vehicle, but wouldn't be able to declaim responsibility for damage to a third party and you wouldn't be liable for prosecution for no insurance. That's only info from forums though!

Incidentally some vehicles, such as tractors and cranes, don't require an MOT in the first place!
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did a bit of googling last night and it seems that the worst case would be that your insurance might try to refuse a claim for damage to your vehicle, but wouldn't be able to declaim responsibility for damage to a third party and you wouldn't be liable for prosecution for no insurance. That's only info from forums though!

Incidentally some vehicles, such as tractors and cranes, don't require an MOT in the first place!
Thinking about it, new cars too - what is it, three years before an MOT is required? Hmm.
mphysical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Having no tax / MOT invalidates your insurance has been doing the rounds for years, and is simply incorrect.
However if you write off your car with no MOT you will likely only get bottom book valuation,
because any car is worth less with no MOT. Having no tax is irrelevant.
I think the confusion surrounds the rule that MOT and insurance is needed for tax.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads