D_ecrivaine
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm applying to management master's programmes and my CV is pretty unimpressive so I'm trying to make the best of what I have. For info, all academic backgrounds are accepted and the programmes are in English.
Any thoughts?
Attached files
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by D_ecrivaine)
I'm applying to management master's programmes and my CV is pretty unimpressive so I'm trying to make the best of what I have. For info, all academic backgrounds are accepted and the programmes are in English.
Any thoughts?
The CV you've written is utterly irrelevant to the course. The point of submitting a CV is to enhance your application, not just to give a generic description of your life history. You need to focus on demonstrating your potential for management - so you need to ditch al the childcare to start with.

Make a list of management skills - the course outline should give you a clue. Then list every experience you've got in life that indicates you've got the potential to develop and enhance those skills, ie where you've had some management experience, however junior.

I've no idea what format the French expect CVs to be written in, but it must contain evidence of relevant skills, it's not just a life-story.
D_ecrivaine
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
The CV you've written is utterly irrelevant to the course. The point of submitting a CV is to enhance your application, not just to give a generic description of your life history. You need to focus on demonstrating your potential for management - so you need to ditch al the childcare to start with.

Make a list of management skills - the course outline should give you a clue. Then list every experience you've got in life that indicates you've got the potential to develop and enhance those skills, ie where you've had some management experience, however junior.

I've no idea what format the French expect CVs to be written in, but it must contain evidence of relevant skills, it's not just a life-story.
Thanks for your reply. I'll have to do some reflection on the management skills I have.

I still should list work experience though, right? Just without specific details unless relevant?

Should I list classes which are at all related to management also?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by D_ecrivaine)
Thanks for your reply. I'll have to do some reflection on the management skills I have.

I still should list work experience though, right? Just without specific details unless relevant?

Should I list classes which are at all related to management also?
No, don't list the skills, put them in the context in which you got them. So for example, if you think leadership is a relevant skill, then write down as many times in your life that you've shown leadership. That may be leading the Uni sports team you played for, leading a Uni academic project and leading a team in the workplace.

Then you make bullet points that say

Led University football team to victory in 2018 BUCS regional league
Led a team of 4 students in a 3rd year engineering project to develop a lightweight, portable wind turbine
Led a team of 10 staff in the relocation of the store over a single weekend

Then you put those bullet points (and the second two would probably need sub-bullets giving more specific detail of further skills applied eg organised, negotiated, planned etc) under a Football Interest, an Experience about the Uni project and an experience about the shop work.

Then leadership occurs repeatedly through the CV and in difference contexts (technical, workplace, outside the workplace)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads