The Student Room Group

failed chemistry mock. sad

this is a level btw

i tried really hard. this one student who always gets A*s makes me feel so bad about myself (not his fault). i didn't revise properly in year 12 and it's haunting me

i have only 8 weeks left, and i got 38% in my mock last week. i thought i would do well. i've had so many failures this year (failed ukcat, bmat and 0 offers from unis)

i used to do well. i keep imagining me coming out with a U in chemistry and the top student getting an A*, and him going on to be rich and successful in life, and me ending up with a **** job.

i feel so sh tty now. i know the content. i know the answers. i dont get why im still getting lowest in my class and there's 8 week left. idk why im still here.
8 weeks is a long time, you've got plenty of time to turn this around. If you can, I'd recommend signing up to snaprevise, they're short videos which explain chemistry and have good worked examples. This might be a weird bit of advice, but I jumped up a grade by attempting the paper backwards, might be worth a try. As for the 0 uni offers, you can always apply again next year or go through clearing, plenty of universities are scouting out students to fill their spaces after results day. Also, it might be worth reading the mark scheme for your mock, sometimes the wording of an answer can make or break you, so improving by a grade might be possible if you know what the examiner is looking for (key words). Don't give up.
Reply 2
Original post by Switzerland29
8 weeks is a long time, you've got plenty of time to turn this around. If you can, I'd recommend signing up to snaprevise, they're short videos which explain chemistry and have good worked examples. This might be a weird bit of advice, but I jumped up a grade by attempting the paper backwards, might be worth a try. As for the 0 uni offers, you can always apply again next year or go through clearing, plenty of universities are scouting out students to fill their spaces after results day. Also, it might be worth reading the mark scheme for your mock, sometimes the wording of an answer can make or break you, so improving by a grade might be possible if you know what the examiner is looking for (key words). Don't give up.

thank you so much. ive more hope now after crying it out and doing 1 paper. i'll check out snaprevise. i've decided to put my head down and revise every hour of the daylight to get this chemistry grade. head down from today until my last exam. did u do the chem paper backwards in the actual exam? i did that for gcse maths and i failed that paper. lol its best to do it from easiest first.
Reply 3
it's so depressing seeing the top student unshaken from his position as top student after every mock. i dont want him to fail, i just want to be up there with him but i barely got a U. the system can be so toxic, comparisons and more comparisons. i'm seriously determined now, i almost lost all hope. i'm gonna try again. thank you.
Original post by 3957h12
thank you so much. ive more hope now after crying it out and doing 1 paper. i'll check out snaprevise. i've decided to put my head down and revise every hour of the daylight to get this chemistry grade. head down from today until my last exam. did u do the chem paper backwards in the actual exam? i did that for gcse maths and i failed that paper. lol its best to do it from easiest first.

I've done the papers backwards for all of my mocks, not the actual exam, me and my teacher came up with the strategy after analysing my end of topic tests.
I'd reccomend asking the top student ( doesn't have to be him, anyone getting an A/A*) how thy do it. Usually it comes down to understanding and practise but I boosted my chem grade by asking people who were getting top marks how. Also, what I learnt from talking to them was that they all spent little but intense time revising. Do not spend hours reading a textbook or half heartedly doing a paper- do a few hours intense , targeted revision. Best of luck and also, it doesn't matter if you aren't the top of the class, as long as on results day you know there is nothing more you could have done and you gave it your all - whatever the grade it means you are good and you did the best you could have.
Reply 6
Hello!! sorry to hear about your mock result and u have been given a lot of good advice above. I would add try not to compare yourself to other people (yes it is hard to avoid but I think it will help you). As cheesy as it sounds, everyone is different and we all face different struggles that noone else can truly know about or appreciate. There are things you can do way better than other people and there will be things this "top student" won't be able to do so well compared to others too and that is perfectly okay!

8 weeks is a very long time to turn things around, I have seen it for myself! Sending positive vibes, best of luck for the real thing when it comes! xx
update: I’m remarking and could potentially get an A (two marks off an A) don’t give up (talking to anxious people like)

Im so shocked... I don’t not know how I got 2 marks off an A. That’s 72%.... I thought I lost more marks than that becuase of how hard some questions were ????? I fully missed out on 6 marks..another chunky 5 marker...and another ..and another...and several other little marks I’m so thankful ameen and I know it’s not that deep but for me me it is!! I literally thought I’d get less than a C so I’m in shock

Ocr paper 3 I didn’t even try all the way

(Btw it isn’t a mistake I probs was very careful in my little markers)

Chemistry has driven me nuts because of the horrendous exams this year 🤯 I felt helpless a lot so I’m eternally grateful for this grade outcome. Alhamdulilah
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by anonymoussse
update: I’m remarking and could potentially get an A (two marks off an A) don’t give up (talking to anxious people like)

Im so shocked... I don’t not know how I got 2 marks off an A. That’s 72%.... I thought I lost more marks than that becuase of how hard some questions were ????? I fully missed out on 6 marks..another chunky 5 marker...and another ..and another...and several other little marks I’m so thankful ameen and I know it’s not that deep but for me me it is!! I literally thought I’d get less than a C so I’m in shock

Ocr paper 3 I didn’t even try all the way

(Btw it isn’t a mistake I probs was very careful in my little markers)

Chemistry has driven me nuts because of the horrendous exams this year 🤯 I felt helpless a lot so I’m eternally grateful for this grade outcome. Alhamdulilah

congrats :biggrin:
hope after the remark it goes up to an A
Incredible! Well done
Original post by 3957h12
this is a level btw

i tried really hard. this one student who always gets A*s makes me feel so bad about myself (not his fault). i didn't revise properly in year 12 and it's haunting me

i have only 8 weeks left, and i got 38% in my mock last week.

i feel so sh tty now. i know the content. i know the answers. i dont get why im still getting lowest in my class and there's 8 week left. idk why im still here.

im still so shocked and happy. i remember feeling soooo down in class. i'd work just as hard as them but the top 2 students would always be on A*/A and I'd be on a U. I got a higher marks than the 2nd top student for the first time and i dont know how to react. (i think I got a couple marks lower than the top student)
Original post by sherlanddris
Incredible! Well done

Original post by dont fail
congrats :biggrin:
hope after the remark it goes up to an A

thank u both :bawling:
How did you do it?! Need help lol
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest