The Student Room Group

Am I wasting my money doing a law degree

Hi all,I have always wanted to study law as been fascinated by the legal system for as long as I can remember and would love to go to uni.I’ve got offers from Swansea, Nottingham Trent, Oxford Brookes, Manchester Met and Plymouth.However my parents have told me that paying all that money to do a law degree at one of these unis is pointless as it’s too competitive and I’ll never earn good money.Are they right and if I don’t go to a better university I’m wasting my time or should I just go?I’d like to earn a lot of money in the future but maybe it won’t be possible from one of my choices.

Scroll to see replies

Law will probably get you a job as either a Lawyer, a criminal Lawyer, a barrister or either a crown court or magistrates court judge. Law will get you very good money but you will constantly be at work and you will only start earning loads of money if you are good at your job. If you have poor negotiation or English skills then the course is pointless but if you really want to study throughout your 20’s then it might be worth it but it’s your call
At those probably yeah
Original post by CoreyTheMans
Law will probably get you a job as either a Lawyer, a criminal Lawyer, a barrister or either a crown court or magistrates court judge. Law will get you very good money but you will constantly be at work and you will only start earning loads of money if you are good at your job. If you have poor negotiation or English skills then the course is pointless but if you really want to study throughout your 20’s then it might be worth it but it’s your call

So you think these universities will still be good enough to achieve that?
Original post by DarthRoar
At those probably yeah

Why’s that?
Original post by Villalad2001
So you think these universities will still be good enough to achieve that?

I can’t go university yet so no point asking me. Why don’t you go on their websites and have a gander at their courses and pass rate
Aren't you interested in nursing or teaching or engineering?
Original post by Notoriety
Aren't you interested in nursing or teaching or engineering?

What do you mean by that?

I’d really like to study law as it’s something that interests me.

Are you saying I’m wasting my time?

I know this is irrelevant to me but I’d say u are but it’s ur choice at end of the day

The answer is complicated.

I think that you could get into a legal career from those unis. Tends to be high street firms/CPS -- and you normally have to start from paralegal and work your way up. People from those unis tend not to end up at the elite firms -- partly cos they don't meet the A-Level requirements of elite firms and self-select out.

In theory, you could get to an elite firm. But people tend not to from those unis. If you wanna go off probabilities, you'll have a higher chance of making some OK money by doing a more employment-leading degree. Law is a difficult academic degree that you've yet to study; it is quite difficult to know that it interests you just yet.
Original post by CoreyTheMans
I know this is irrelevant to me but I’d say u are but it’s ur choice at end of the day

Guess you wanna go to oxbridge or something though haha
I will give an honest opinion, if you are thinking of doing legal work then yes you are just wasting your money at those unis. Law is just so competitive now, a lot of people I come across all say they want to or are studying law. There are more lawyers in the country than police officers. Although you can still become a lawyer if you study at those unis, you won't be one of those lawyers who earns like 80k at a prestigious firm.
This is all personal opinions btw, I may be wrong of course.
Guess you wanna go to oxbridge or something though haha

Like I’m smart enough for oxbridge which I’m not
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi all,I have always wanted to study law as been fascinated by the legal system for as long as I can remember and would love to go to uni.I’ve got offers from Swansea, Nottingham Trent, Oxford Brookes, Manchester Met and Plymouth.However my parents have told me that paying all that money to do a law degree at one of these unis is pointless as it’s too competitive and I’ll never earn good money.Are they right and if I don’t go to a better university I’m wasting my time or should I just go?I’d like to earn a lot of money in the future but maybe it won’t be possible from one of my choices.

Not the best selection.
Whether you make it depends on.
How good.
How determined.
How lucky.

People will make it, but be realistic about how in demand you will be or not.
The more mediocre you are the less chance so you have to be good and put in the effort.

I dont think its quite as grim as what Rar says, so take it with a pinch of salt. If you are going to those unis though it is probably you arent in the top tier of A level students and you will be competing against them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
The answer is complicated.

I think that you could get into a legal career from those unis. Tends to be high street firms/CPS -- and you normally have to start from paralegal and work your way up. People from those unis tend not to end up at the elite firms -- partly cos they don't meet the A-Level requirements of elite firms and self-select out.

In theory, you could get to an elite firm. But people tend not to from those unis. If you wanna go off probabilities, you'll have a higher chance of making some OK money by doing a more employment-leading degree. Law is a difficult academic degree that you've yet to study; it is quite difficult to know that it interests you just yet.

Thank you, that’s appreciated.

I’m more interested in the criminal side of law if I’m honest.

I know I won’t be able to make huge money as it’s so competitive but I don’t see why it’d hold me back from getting into law?
Original post by 999tigger
Not the best selection.
Whether you make it depends on.
How good.
How determined.
How lucky.

People will make it, but be realistic about how in demand you will be or not.
The more mediocre you are the less chance so you have to be good and put in the effort.

I’m pretty determined I’m just not as clever maybe as some of the people that can go to the better unis but I do work hard.
I’m pretty determined I’m just not as clever maybe as some of the people that can go to the better unis but I do work hard.

Why don't you take a year out and find a way to put that work ethic to good use doing something to help you get into a top university. Or you know, sign up for a foundation course at a better uni?

Bcos these are the 'fake' universities of the country so to say.

I doubt our ideas of determined are the same thing. You have to work out some way to be as good if not better than your fellow applicants or you will be left behind.
Thank you, that’s appreciated.

I’m more interested in the criminal side of law if I’m honest.

I know I won’t be able to make huge money as it’s so competitive but I don’t see why it’d hold me back from getting into law?

It's not that it holds you back; it's previous students and what they've ended up doing. Chances are you'll be like them in what activities you do, what characteristics and qualities you have, motivation, and which firms you apply to.

It's complicated. I think that's the best I can do to answer your question.
how come you chose those 5 to apply to? did you have predicted grades that ruled you out from others? or some localilty issue (I am a mature student so restricted to London Universities for example)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending