How much money will I need to live at uni? Watch

henryf8
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've just taken a student finance calculator and found I would have -2000 a year. So then I refilled it out and tried to reduce costs. Is £20 a week enough money for food? I changed my costs to £20 a week for food and virtually removed most other costs as I know I wouldn't be able to afford the, however I still am -1,300 a year. Any suggestion on how much money I will need weekly/monthly for certain things and how I am supposed to live on minus funds?
Thanks
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by henryf8)
I've just taken a student finance calculator and found I would have -2000 a year. So then I refilled it out and tried to reduce costs. Is £20 a week enough money for food? I changed my costs to £20 a week for food and virtually removed most other costs as I know I wouldn't be able to afford the, however I still am -1,300 a year. Any suggestion on how much money I will need weekly/monthly for certain things and how I am supposed to live on minus funds?
Thanks
£20 a week on food is challenging but doable, you would at some point have to buy other things though. Are you in a high household income bracket? is that estimate with the cheapest accommodation option available to you?
henryf8
Rep:
?
Yeah I am in a high income bracket however money really is tight at home due to various reasons. However my mum is able to give me £200 a month which I am grateful for, even then I am not able to afford almost anything. I realised I wouldn't be able to live in the city campus and so I have decided on accommodation about 25 min walk so not bad at all.
(Original post by claireestelle)
£20 a week on food is challenging but doable, you would at some point have to buy other things though. Are you in a high household income bracket? is that estimate with the cheapest accommodation option available to you?
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah I am in a high income bracket however money really is tight at home due to various reasons. However my mum is able to give me £200 a month which I am grateful for, even then I am not able to afford almost anything. I realised I wouldn't be able to live in the city campus and so I have decided on accommodation about 25 min walk so not bad at all.
If you've picked the cheapest accommodation then i would try and get a zero hours job so you have something to fall back on.
henryf8
Rep:
?
Thanks I'll keep that in mind
(Original post by claireestelle)
If you've picked the cheapest accommodation then i would try and get a zero hours job so you have something to fall back on.
Dannyboy2015
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Part time job, 16 hours or under is the way to go. Spread over 2 days (ideally 1 w/e day and 1 day when you don't have lectures).

Even with the full loan - it is impossible to live in Brighton w/o extra finance, which I think is a bit of a joke but there we go.
HoldThisL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I probably average £20 a week on food but, of course, that does not include unplanned things like drinks, entertainment and travel.
Dannyboy2015
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by HoldThisL)
I probably average £20 a week on food but, of course, that does not include unplanned things like drinks, entertainment and travel.
Lol, I'm a food snob I think. I spend £50-70 a week on food.
henryf8
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dannyboy2015)
Part time job, 16 hours or under is the way to go. Spread over 2 days (ideally 1 w/e day and 1 day when you don't have lectures).

Even with the full loan - it is impossible to live in Brighton w/o extra finance, which I think is a bit of a joke but there we go.
Thanks, have you experienced this yourself? If so does a part time job strain you study-wise at all?
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Get a summer job to save up as much as you can before you start. Then get a job whilst you study to help pay for things. Buy own brand foods too. Get a student bank account with an overdraft as well.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Lol, I'm a food snob I think. I spend £50-70 a week on food.
I'd honestly struggle to spend anywhere near that and I don't buy cheap food either.
Dannyboy2015
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks, have you experienced this yourself? If so does a part time job strain you study-wise at all?
I have and it did, but I was working 4 shifts a week starting at 5 am before moving to 24-60 hour weeks. I managed to pull off a 2-1 that year.

It is certainly harder, but if you get the balance of hours and the days right then it can be much easier to deal with. However, I think we are kidding ourselves if we say that it is the same as not having to worry about money whilst at uni.
Dannyboy2015
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd honestly struggle to spend anywhere near that and I don't buy cheap food either.
Like if you buy the ingredients for a tomato soup at Sainsburys it comes to £10, so I don't get w0t black magic people are doing to not spend closer to that amount. :/ 1 meal a day? only canned food?

Pls share your weekly shop with me, I need to save money lol.
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I live on £20 a week. People say get a job but tell that to the hundreds of employers I have applied to that don't get back to me
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can't be that picky if you spend 20 quid a week. I would spend that much in M&S for me tea.
Dannyboy2015
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
You can't be that picky if you spend 20 quid a week. I would spend that much in M&S for me tea.
Right, like a pizza cost at least £2 these days, even if it is frozen. So that is 1 of your 21 meals. Even if all your shopping was that cheap, it is at least double that.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Take a gap year and use that to start saving? Not gonna lie, rushing off to uni when you know you can't afford it is irresponsible. If you're in a high income bracket but won't get much support then you need to start considering alternatives. Cutting costs can only get you so far and the practical solution to a lack of money is to get more money, not try to make what little you have go further.

Are you able to break down the numbers that led you to that -£2000 figure? Knowing how you've calculated these numbers and what exactly you have to play with will give us a better idea of how to resolve the issue. But as above, you're probably going to need to find an income source if your parents aren't substantially helping to cover costs.
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Like if you buy the ingredients for a tomato soup at Sainsburys it comes to £10, so I don't get w0t black magic people are doing to not spend closer to that amount. :/ 1 meal a day? only canned food?

Pls share your weekly shop with me, I need to save money lol.
Lots of vegetables, tend to buy meat/fish in advance so I can get bulk buy discounts, and the carbohydrates like potatoes, rice and pasta. Really not that strange.

Plus occasional purchases of seasonings, ingredients and similar.
Dannyboy2015
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Lots of vegetables, tend to buy meat/fish in advance so I can get bulk buy discounts, and the carbohydrates like potatoes, rice and pasta. Really not that strange.

Plus occasional purchases of seasonings, ingredients and similar.
I mean meat and fish are quite pricey and a tomato soup like I was saying is 100% vegetables. *shrug*
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Acsel)
Take a gap year and use that to start saving? Not gonna lie, rushing off to uni when you know you can't afford it is irresponsible. If you're in a high income bracket but won't get much support then you need to start considering alternatives. Cutting costs can only get you so far and the practical solution to a lack of money is to get more money, not try to make what little you have go further.
It's a broken system when that is the case to be honest. I got A*AA I deserve to be at uni I worked hard for those grades. Why should I have to have considered alternatives to uni just because my father earns a lot but is abusive so shares none of it. It's penalising people for no reason. The government needs to stop assuming that families will give their children their money. If it was a working class person being told to rethink uni because of money reform would be called for but this status quo is apparently acceptable to student finance :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads