How do I choose a firm and a safe choice Watch

Stressed4ever
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
I have applied to 5 UK universities for chemistry courses ; Surrey , Southampton , East Anglia, Nottingham Trent and Brighton . Fortunately I received offers from all of them and quite a few are reasonable ones . I’m thinking of putting Surrey as my firm and East Anglia as my safe choice as because the offers are pretty close to what I expect my grades to be and also because I feel that the structure of their chemistry courses cover all aspects of chemistry ( also accredited by the RSC). The thing is that I’m unsure if East Anglia is a good university to put as a safe choice , I have heard both good and bad comments by other people, saying that I should change my mind. Could anyone give me some reassurance , perhaps someone that has already applied?(motives)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Stressed4ever)
Hi,
I have applied to 5 UK universities for chemistry courses ; Surrey , Southampton , East Anglia, Nottingham Trent and Brighton . Fortunately I received offers from all of them and quite a few are reasonable ones . I’m thinking of putting Surrey as my firm and East Anglia as my safe choice as because the offers are pretty close to what I expect my grades to be and also because I feel that the structure of their chemistry courses cover all aspects of chemistry ( also accredited by the RSC). The thing is that I’m unsure if East Anglia is a good university to put as a safe choice , I have heard both good and bad comments by other people, saying that I should change my mind. Could anyone give me some reassurance , perhaps someone that has already applied?(motives)
UEA is a decent Uni - on a par with Surrey I would say. Definitely better than Nottingham Trent or Brighton
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What are the offers you have received OP?
Stressed4ever
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
What are the offers you have received OP?
As I am an international student ( from Cyprus) I have offers regarding my apolytirion. Surrey needs an 18/20 in it with 18/20 in both Maths and Chemistry . East Anglia needs also an 18/20 in the apolytirion with 17/20 in both Maths and Chemistry.Southampton needs an 18,5/20 and an A in my Chemistry A level . The last two have pretty low grades , I’m talking 15/16ish /20.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As I am an international student ( from Cyprus) I have offers regarding my apolytirion. Surrey needs an 18/20 in it with 18/20 in both Maths and Chemistry . East Anglia needs also an 18/20 in the apolytirion with 17/20 in both Maths and Chemistry.Southampton needs an 18,5/20 and an A in my Chemistry A level . The last two have pretty low grades , I’m talking 15/16ish /20.
Ok that makes sense that the last two would have the lowest grades.

Southampton, Surrey and UEA are all good Unis. In my opinion, UEA is in the best city of the 3 - Norwich is quite lively with lots going on for students but at the same time it is an attractive city with plenty of individual shops and quirky bars, cafes etc. Southampton is also quite lively but not as pretty (the Uni probably has the strongest reputation, however). Surrey is also a good uni, although the city of Guildford is small and expensive (pretty though).
Stressed4ever
Rep:
?
Ok that makes sense that the last two would have the lowest grades.

Southampton, Surrey and UEA are all good Unis. In my opinion, UEA is in the best city of the 3 - Norwich is quite lively with lots going on for students but at the same time it is an attractive city with plenty of individual shops and quirky bars, cafes etc. Southampton is also quite lively but not as pretty (the Uni probably has the strongest reputation, however). Surrey is also a good uni, although the city of Guildford is small and expensive (pretty though).
Thank you, do you also happen to know of the accommodation is good?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you, do you also happen to know of the accommodation is good?
Sorry I don't know about accommodation but like all Unis, it will range from the good (en suite, expensive) to the bad to the ugly. If you ask about accommodation on the Uni sub forums, you will be more likely to get replies from students currently studying at them
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For what its worth East Anglia has consistently ranked in the top 15 each year for the last 6 years in the Complete University guide. My feeling is it is the best of the universities that you have applied. It suffers to an extent by being in a smaller town some distance away from major centres of population. In truth there is very little difference in standard between Southampton, Surrey and East Anglia. If possible attend visit days. If you are not able to then check out videos on you tube. Look at the courses and see which you prefer then decide accordingly. There is a strong possibility that the universities might accept you with lower grades on results day.
Stressed4ever
Rep:
?
Sorry I don't know about accommodation but like all Unis, it will range from the good (en suite, expensive) to the bad to the ugly. If you ask about accommodation on the Uni sub forums, you will be more likely to get replies from students currently studying at them
Thanks for letting me know! I will check them out!
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, its great you have received offers from all your choices - congratulations! To help you decide where to study I highly suggest visiting the applicant days. Applicant Days are really useful because you get to meet current staff and students and get an insight into the department, really get a feel for the university. I know visiting Applicant Days really helped me to decide and hope they do the same for you. You can find more info on the applicant days here: https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergra...applicant-days

Also, have you heard about Ask A Student? You can post direct questions to current UEA students and ask them about university life, living in Norwich, accommodation and so much more: https://askastudent.uea.ac.uk/people?page=1

All the best!
Hi,
Stressed4ever
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep)
Hi, its great you have received offers from all your choices - congratulations! To help you decide where to study I highly suggest visiting the applicant days. Applicant Days are really useful because you get to meet current staff and students and get an insight into the department, really get a feel for the university. I know visiting Applicant Days really helped me to decide and hope they do the same for you. You can find more info on the applicant days here: https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergra...applicant-days

Also, have you heard about Ask A Student? You can post direct questions to current UEA students and ask them about university life, living in Norwich, accommodation and so much more: https://askastudent.uea.ac.uk/people?page=1

All the best!
Thank you for the information! I think ask a student will be of great help
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you for the information! I think ask a student will be of great help
Happy to help. Let us know if you have any more Qs!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (150)
18.56%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.78%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.57%

Watched Threads