Can't identify the 4 fundamental interactions

Watch
willdv2002
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I can tell you the difference between them in terms of range and all that jazz, but I don't actually know how to identify which interaction is happening between certain particles.

An example of the kind of question I'm on about is like this:
Two particles (proton and neutron) transform in to an electron anti-neutrino and an electron (through a W- boson), state the type of interaction that occurs in this decay.

Can anyone please explain to me the best way possible to identify the different interactions?

EDIT:
Apparently I can't read Feynman diagrams either, what I meant to say was the neutron turns into the proton through emitting a W- which decays into an electron and electron-antineutrino.
Last edited by willdv2002; 1 year ago
xNightly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are three types of interactions you need to know about. The weak, strong,electromagnetic and gravity. However, the affect of gravity is so feeble that particle physists never bother about it. The weak interaction affects all types of particles and has a gauge boson of W- and W+. The strong affects all types of particles and has pions (+,-,0) and only affects hadrons. The electromagnetic has a gauge boson of a virtual photons that only affect charged particles.

The best way to identify them is to pretty much learn them, there aren't even many to learn. Electron capture, electron-proton collision, Beta-Plus and Beta-minus are all examples of the weak interaction taking place. Electromagnetic repulsion is an example of the electromagnetic interaction. Only hadrons can interact via the strong interaction so if you have a question only involving hadrons, the interaction will most definitely be the strong interaction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads