B1473 – Holiday (Statutory Leave Entitlement) Bill 2019 (Second Reading) Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
B1473 – Holiday (Statutory Leave Entitlement) Bill 2019 (Second Reading), TSR Libertarian Party
Holiday (Statutory Leave Entitlement) Bill 2019

An Act to extend workers' entitlement to paid leave by ending unpaid, involuntary bank holidays.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1. Holiday Entitlement
(1) For the purpose of this Act, an employee is defined as an individual who works part-time or full-time under a contract of employment, whether oral or written, express or implied, and has recognised rights and duties. Also called worker.
(2) An employee is entitled to 7.2 weeks' paid holiday per year.
(i) This figure of '7.2' is to replace the previous '5.6' in all acts of parliament that concern paid holiday allowance.
(2) For four days of the paid leave entitlement, the decision on when these occur is to be taken at the complete discretion of the employee provided that:
(i) The employee informs their employer of their intentions fourteen days prior to the first of their chosen dates, and;
(ii) A previous Act of Parliament does not designated an employer as an essential or minimum service.

2. Repeals
(1) Schedule 1, section 1 of the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971 is hereby repealed.
(2) New Year's Day, May Day and Good Friday will no longer be considered bank holidays.

3.Notice of objection
(1) A worker to whom this section applies may at any time give his employer written notice, signed and dated by the worker, to the effect that he objects to Good Friday and/or Easter Monday working.
(2) In this Act “opting-out notice” means a notice given under subsection (1) by a worker to whom this section applies.
(3) This section applies to any worker who under his contract of employment—
(a) is or may be required to work on Good Friday and/or Easter Monday (whether or not as a result of previously giving an opting-in notice), but
(b) is not employed to work only on Good Friday and/or Easter Monday.

4.Short title, Commencement, Extent
(1) This act may be cited as the Holiday (Statutory Leave Entitlement) Act 2019.
(2) This act comes into force on 1st January 2020.
(3) This act extends to England and Wales.

Notes
This bill seeks to extend paid holiday leave for workers by abolishing bank holidays. These are days when most businesses in the country cease work due to the closure of the banks. There is no automatic right to time off on these days, however, and it is common for employers to insist that workers use up their paid leave allowance on these days.

Bank holidays in practice reduce economic activity, with one estimate predicting that the UK's gross domestic product would be £19bn higher every year without them, in spite of increased activity within the hospitality and leisure sector of the economy.

To calculate a person's holiday entitlement you multiply the number of days they work each week by the number of weeks they are entitled to. Currently, the allowance is 5.6 weeks. So a person working a 5 day week is entitled to 28 days paid holiday per year (though it should be noted that, even if you work more than 5 days, this is the highest figure you may use in determining your entitlement). Under this proposal, a worker doing a 5 day week would be entitled to 36 days of paid leave per year, instead of 28 days and 8 unpaid days.

Repeals
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1971/80/schedule/1

Changes for second reading
Added clause 3
Added definition clause 1(1)
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I hope that the amendments to this bill are sufficient for concerned parties.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For the same reason as before, I am against this. Bank holidays are good for the national spirit and we should change current laws by preventing employers from being able to count them as part of the 28 days statutory leave workers are entitled to, not by abolishing bank holidays. Our country is overworked and taking away people's ability to celebrate on particular, special days as a whole country is not the optimal solution.
Last edited by Saunders16; 3 months ago
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This seems like a sensible idea, there is no real purpose for bank holidays in my view.
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Saunders16)
For the same reason as before, I am against this. Bank holidays are good for the national spirit and we should change current laws by preventing employers from being able to count them as part of the 20 days statutory leave workers are entitled to, not by abolishing bank holidays. Our country is overworked and taking away people's ability to celebrate on particular, special days as a whole country is not the optimal solution.
Not many people care about bank holidays most people view it as extra day off work. So I don't think it makes a difference to people if they are abolished as they get an extra 8 paid days of holiday which is better than the status quo. Making bank holidays not count towards the statutory won't help either instead what you'll have is people have 8 unpaid bank holidays.

The only bank holidays that have any sort of significance is Good friday and Easter Monday which this 2nd reading allows people to object to working on those days. If you are concerned about national sprint that will remain as well, we still have Christmas and Easter Sunday.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
For the same reason as before, I am against this. Bank holidays are good for the national spirit and we should change current laws by preventing employers from being able to count them as part of the 28 days statutory leave workers are entitled to, not by abolishing bank holidays. Our country is overworked and taking away people's ability to celebrate on particular, special days as a whole country is not the optimal solution.
"National Spirit" is a weak excuse, it's not like we are all going to fall apart as a nation if they are abolished.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Mr T 999)
Not many people care about bank holidays most people view it as extra day off work. So I don't think it makes a difference to people if they are abolished as they get an extra 8 paid days of holiday which is better than the status quo. Making bank holidays not count towards the statutory won't help either instead what you'll have is people have 8 unpaid bank holidays.

The only bank holidays that have any sort of significance is Good friday and Easter Monday which this 2nd reading allows people to object to working on those days. If you are concerned about national sprint that will remain as well, we still have Christmas and Easter Sunday.
That is simple to deal with; you make public holidays paid like is done elsewhere. That way, both problems in this bill are dealt with: bank holidays remain and people receive the extra week of leave that they deserve.

That way, people have the amount of paid leave specified in this bill while bank holidays - which are indisputably good for national unity in a country where materialism has destroyed community spirit - can continue to exist.

I would be happy to concede on ending May Day Bank Holiday and Late Summer Bank Holiday in exchange for 7.2 weeks paid leave, but the other 6 bank holidays have significant historical meaning and should remain.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
"National Spirit" is a weak excuse, it's not like we are all going to fall apart as a nation if they are abolished.
New Year's Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Spring Bank Holiday (originating from Whit Monday), Christmas Day and Boxing Day are all reasonable bank holidays with justification. All, other than perhaps Good Friday, fall when many would book holidays anyway.

It is fair to say that all of these bank holidays are days that are good for the national spirit.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Speaking of May Day, I think that there should be revival attempts but I do accept that as a celebration it is pretty much dead.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
That is simple to deal with; you make public holidays paid like is done elsewhere. That way, both problems in this bill are dealt with: bank holidays remain and people receive the extra week of leave that they deserve.

That way, people have the amount of paid leave specified in this bill while bank holidays - which are indisputably good for national unity in a country where materialism has destroyed community spirit - can continue to exist.

I would be happy to concede on ending May Day Bank Holiday and Late Summer Bank Holiday in exchange for 7.2 weeks paid leave, but the other 6 bank holidays have significant historical meaning and should remain.
If you support making bank holidays paid then you essentially support adding 8 extra paid holidays, so your better of supporting this bill. Nobody cares about bank holidays like I said before it's just an extra day off to them, in fact its not like everyone takes a day off on those days many people still work on bank holidays. You are grossly over exaggerating "national unity" as if it will suddenly disappear without bank holidays.

The question is why should the state decide when people take a day off why not let them decide instead? This bill gives people more choice and freedom when to take their holiday.
SankaraInBloom
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Don't mind this at all. Archaic Bank Holidays for celebrations long since fallen by the wayside shouldn't be Bank Holidays anymore, and what better way is there for Britain to showcase its business enterprise than through improved efficiency, right from the very start of the year. Also like the fact you've allowed opt-outs for Bank Holidays of notable cultural or religious significance.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Mr T 999)
If you support making bank holidays paid then you essentially support adding 8 extra paid holidays, so your better of supporting this bill. Nobody cares about bank holidays like I said before it's just an extra day off to them, in fact its not like everyone takes a day off on those days many people still work on bank holidays. You are grossly over exaggerating "national unity" as if it will suddenly disappear without bank holidays.

The question is why should the state decide when people take a day off why not let them decide instead? This bill gives people more choice and freedom when to take their holiday.
I remember the Olympics and how united the country was. I remember times with my family at Christmas and how much worse they would have been if my parents were working. 6 of the 8 bank holidays have an exceptionally important historical reasoning and are relatively easy for people to organise holidays around, so why on earth would I want to dismantle them? We can give our workers an extra week of paid holidays, as we should, without dismantling bank holidays.

That is why the state should decide when people should take a day off: community matters. Those little moments matter.

I also object to the reasoning provided in the notes. You say that GDP would be £19 billion higher every year without bank holidays, yet this does not mean people would work more - it simply means that it will be spread across the year more. While this would provide a benefit, it would be much smaller than £19 billion for the aforementioned reasons.

Yet you clearly do not even take the notes into account, because you propose raising paid leave to 7.2 weeks. In doing so you have conceded that GDP is reliant on a workforce that are satisfied and, consequently, productive, and that our working culture is not doing this. I think you just included the figure of £19 billion because it makes it sound like this has economic backing, yet the figure does not take into account what bank holidays would be replaced with and the benefits of a more satisfied workforce.

For those reasons and others I have outlined in both debates, I am not going to vote for this.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I remember the Olympics and how united the country was. I remember times with my family at Christmas and how much worse they would have been if my parents were working. 6 of the 8 bank holidays have an exceptionally important historical reasoning and are relatively easy for people to organise holidays around, so why on earth would I want to dismantle them? We can give our workers an extra week of paid holidays, as we should, without dismantling bank holidays.

That is why the state should decide when people should take a day off: community matters. Those little moments matter.

I also object to the reasoning provided in the notes. You say that GDP would be £19 billion higher every year without bank holidays, yet this does not mean people would work more - it simply means that it will be spread across the year more. While this would provide a benefit, it would be much smaller than £19 billion for the aforementioned reasons.

Yet you clearly do not even take the notes into account, because you propose raising paid leave to 7.2 weeks. In doing so you have conceded that GDP is reliant on a workforce that are satisfied and, consequently, productive, and that our working culture is not doing this. I think you just included the figure of £19 billion because it makes it sound like this has economic backing, yet the figure does not take into account what bank holidays would be replaced with and the benefits of a more satisfied workforce.

For those reasons and others I have outlined in both debates, I am not going to vote for this.
I disagree bank holidays have little meaning in this country, most people do not care about it and I doubt they can say what the meaning or history behind them is. If you're concerned about national unity that will remain we have the Olympics, Euros, World cup and of course, Christmas and Easter Sunday, where the whole nation is united on those days and community spirit is high. The whole country is not going to fall apart just because bank holidays no longer exist, you are overexaggerating.

Abolishing bank holidays is not about people working more. Banks and many businesses are closed on those days, that means no production and no output. Abolishing bank holidays will mean business remain open and people work as normal, so it will contribute to 19bn extra to GDP.

Again I disagree, workers under our proposals would be better off and in fact more satisfied as they have more free time for their loved ones and more time for holiday and the freedom to choose when to take their holiday off.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Division! Clear the lobbies!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (256)
32.08%
The paper was reasonable (390)
48.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (90)
11.28%
It was TERRIBLE (62)
7.77%

Watched Threads