Netanyahu says Israel is for Jews not Arabs Watch

akbar0123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...lity-1.7003348

But hang on, all this time the pro-Israel conservatives have been reassuring us that Israel isn’t an apartheid state and Arab “Israelis” are actually treated equally to Jews and don’t need their own homeland...
Ascend
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What a disgraceful and disgraced bigot.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is the weakness of all forms of identity politics. When you start to define a people around which a state is based, you explicitly endorse an orthodox culture, identity or whatever else. Netanyahu is taking that to an extreme, but entirely logical, conclusion.

I generally find myself speaking in defence of Israel. It is basically a liberal democracy in an area where they are few and far between and they are too often criticised for their military responses to situations that no other state would tolerate. But this sort of rhetoric, this branch of what is essentially strong Zionism, I do not like.

It's worth looking at the wider quote though, since I suspect people may well read what they want to see into it. He said: “an important correction: Israel is not a country of all its citizens. According to the Nation-State Law that we passed, Israel is the nation-state of the Jewish nation – and its alone. As you wrote, there is no problem with Arab citizens – they have equal rights like everybody and the Likud government has invested in the Arab sector more than any other government.”

That, to me, is still a uncomfortable thing to say. But is it categorically different from how many other states see themselves?
Last edited by L i b; 1 week ago
Palmyra
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From a radical, militarised, racist society in which 48% of Israeli Jews think all Arabs living in Israel (not including the millions of Palestinians living in the Occupied Territories) should be expelled, this is not surprising.

From the same PM that previously warned, during an election, of Arabs "voting in droves", also not surprising.

Of course, if Arabs were so accepted and welcome in Israeli society a one-state solution wouldn't be a problem for Israel.
Ascend
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Palmyra)
From a radical, militarised, racist society in which 48% of Israeli Jews think all Arabs living in Israel (not including the millions of Palestinians living in the Occupied Territories) should be expelled, this is not surprising.
This is a last-ditch Trumpian effort by Bibi to go full-in and rally his populist base in the face of a crisis of his leadership.
Palmyra
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ascend)
This is a last-ditch Trumpian effort by Bibi to go full-in and rally his populist base in the face of a crisis of his leadership.
He has been like this for decades: in 1992 he warned that Iran was 3 years away from developing nukes, then promised America that "if you take out Saddam's regime, I guarantee you that it will have enormous positive reverberations on the region". There was no crisis to his leadership when he warned of Arabs "voting in droves", or when he promised there would never be a Palestinian state whilst he is in power (over many years).

I agree that his current corruption scandal has driven him to new extremes, though; such as his accepting and legitimising the terrorist Kahanists into his electoral coalition, a low even for the Likudites.
Last edited by Palmyra; 1 week ago
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Palmyra)
I agree that his current corruption scandal has driven him to new extremes, though; such as his accepting and legitimising the terrorist Kahanists into his electoral coalition, a low even for the Likudites.
Much as I don't care much for Gantz, Bibi going to prison if he wins is a compelling reason to cheer him on.
Qup
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Who cares?
Palmyra
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)
It's worth looking at the wider quote though, since I suspect people may well read what they want to see into it. He said: “an important correction: Israel is not a country of all its citizens. According to the Nation-State Law that we passed, Israel is the nation-state of the Jewish nation – and its alone. As you wrote, there is no problem with Arab citizens – they have equal rights like everybody and the Likud government has invested in the Arab sector more than any other government.”

That, to me, is still a uncomfortable thing to say. But is it categorically different from how many other states see themselves?
In which modern developed society would it be acceptable for a leader to proudly boast that their country is "not a country of all its citizens"?

(Original post by anarchism101)
Much as I don't care much for Gantz, Bibi going to prison if he wins is a compelling reason to cheer him on.
Ah, Gantz. He who boasted about returning Gaza to the stone age and whose electoral campaign centres on appeasing the Israeli right (of society - as a necessity to get elected more than anything else). I don't see a difference between him and Bibi, but at least there's the silver lining that you mention and perhaps the change will bring hope of some form (though he already ruled out settlement removal and I don't think he's ever supported a two-state solution, and he really hates a one-state solution).
Last edited by Palmyra; 1 week ago
Just my opinion
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just remind us. What happened to many Jews that lived in Arab countries throughout the ME?

https://mfa.gov.il/MFA/ForeignPolicy...mber-2016.aspx
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Netanyahu is not what Israel needs, corrupted = we need one undivided Israel with all equal citizens under full Israeli sovereignity
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)
Just remind us. What happened to many Jews that lived in Arab countries throughout the ME?

https://mfa.gov.il/MFA/ForeignPolicy...mber-2016.aspx
this is horrific. Jews are banned from living in Gaza too.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well, the country's flag is the Star of David.

I mean, it's a bit of a clue.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)
His choice of pronouns is particularly interesting and revealing - he refers to the Jewish people as "it", rather than "they"/"them". Jews are, in his mind, a single actor of one mind, not a diverse collection of millions of different individuals.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anarchism101)
His choice of pronouns is particularly interesting and revealing - he refers to the Jewish people as "it", rather than "they"/"them". Jews are, in his mind, a single actor of one mind, not a diverse collection of millions of different individuals.
He is very much endorsing the conspiratorial view of Jews there.
Last edited by ChaoticButterfly; 1 week ago
Mohamed SaIah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The Jews only took land because of the World War. Although Jews struggled it was not their's to take and no one's to give.
Mohamed SaIah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Free Free Palestine.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mohamed SaIah)
The Jews only took land because of the World War. Although Jews struggled it was not their's to take and no one's to give.
no one religion can lay claim to all of Israel....
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

(Original post by Mohamed SaIah)
Free Free Palestine.
Mohamed SaIah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads