What Laptop shall I buy?

Watch this thread
sweatysalami
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am currently revising for my GCSE's, and i need a laptop that will be suitable for college and university; meaning that it has to have wide accessibility to a range of facilities. However, i am not knowledgeable in tech, and so I do not know which laptop is best for college and university... please drop down the laptop you use and the pros and cons, or any good laptops that you recommend and why?

Thanks
death07/08/17
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sweatysalami)
I am currently revising for my GCSE's, and i need a laptop that will be suitable for college and university; meaning that it has to have wide accessibility to a range of facilities. However, i am not knowledgeable in tech, An and so I do not know which laptop is best for college and university... please drop down the laptop you use and the pros and cons, or any good laptops that you recommend and why?

Thanks
An important factor is your price range. I could suggest a hundred good laptops but without knowing your price range, whether you'd also want it for gaming, how long you want it to last etc. it is very hard to assist.
sweatysalami
Rep:
(Original post by death07/08/17)
An important factor is your price range. I could suggest a hundred good laptops but without knowing your price range, whether you'd also want it for gaming, how long you want it to last etc. it is very hard to assist.
Price Range: does not matter

Purpose: Entertainment and Studying
ineedtorevise12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I’d recommend the Microsoft surface laptop, but you should look into their whole range cause they also have the surface pro, and a bunch of different models that you can also use as a tablet and a laptop so it depends which one takes your fancy
username2871748
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Do you want to game too?

You could get a desktop as its more powerful unless you want the portability?
sweatysalami
Rep:
nah, I'll just use the laptop for studying and entertainment. I don't game.
(Original post by kurro)
Do you want to game too?

You could get a desktop as its more powerful unless you want the portability?
won.of.a.kind
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I am currently revising for my GCSE's, and i need a laptop that will be suitable for college and university; meaning that it has to have wide accessibility to a range of facilities. However, i am not knowledgeable in tech, and so I do not know which laptop is best for college and university... please drop down the laptop you use and the pros and cons, or any good laptops that you recommend and why?

Thanks
Honestly I know they are pricey but for work apple are hands down the best especially for college. Lemme tell u why:

1. They are reasonably light and small - practical to carry
2. Responsive and easy to use for work
3. Durable - metal-like alloy casing makes them very hardwearing
4. It is very aesthetically pleasing and easy to customised - screen brightness - light dim -keyboard brightness. This means it suitable and easy to use at night as-well
5. It has many installed apps (apart from word which you can download) this means it is very easy to get started .
6. Lastly depending on your phone you can pair it with you phone or other apple devices so they are in sync this is very useful.

In terms of a good and on there cheaper side model the MacBook Air is probably the best. If you want to buy an apple laptop as cheaply as possible - America and New York sell them really really cheaply as you don't have to pay for importing or shipping.
Or you could waltz into the apple stall and be a really likeable person and convince the assistant to give you a discount - yea that really did happen with me before *>_<*

so yea that concludes it pretty much hope this was useful. !!
Last edited by won.of.a.kind; 3 years ago
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Generally, you get what you pay for, so just search up "workstation laptop" on eBay or Amazon, pick the most expensive one you can realistically afford in your budget, and maybe post here if you're thinking of buying it to see if people think it's worth the money.
won.of.a.kind
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Oh forgot to say apple laptops are rubbish for gaming yea for gaming your better off with another brand - Apple's are just amazing for working long hours, researching, filing and watching movies and videos.
username2871748
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
So I just went on laptopsdirect and sorted out laptops for 8gb ram+, i5+, 256 SSD+ (SSD's are much faster than normal HDD)

I ordered it from cheapest to highest as you only need it for studying and entertainment:

This was the cheapest with more than enough specs for what you want to do:
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-2...es/version.asp
It is 14" and £404.98

Then I found this laptop, it is more expensive, has the same specs but is thinner (£554.98) :
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/-81hq00deuk/version.asp

This laptop has a better Intel processor, looks thin like the second laptop. But this one has a bigger screen if that is what you want. (£647.98):
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/-ps5...en/version.asp

If the price range does not matter you could get any laptop. But if you don't like any of the ones I suggested, you really want to have an i5 processor, 8gb ram, and 256 SSD or more. (You could get lower specs, but those will be more than enough and will give you great user experience for your tasks.)

There are hundreds of options.
Last edited by username2871748; 3 years ago
sweatysalami
Rep:
Sir, this response is a godsend! Thank you for taking your time to do this. I will definitely check out the website and the laptops, the second and third one look very promising. Thank you for take your time, you perhaps have had a huge impact on my education by helping me choose a laptop and I appreciate that✊🏼 once again, thank you and I hope you live a good life💜
username2871748
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Sir, this response is a godsend! Thank you for taking your time to do this. I will definitely check out the website and the laptops, the second and third one look very promising. Thank you for take your time, you perhaps have had a huge impact on my education by helping me choose a laptop and I appreciate that✊🏼 once again, thank you and I hope you live a good life💜
All good
Best of luck for your GCSE's, A levels and uni
heheheehexd
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Go get the hauwhei matebook x pro or the dell xps 13 remastered the two best laptops in 2019

Thanks
sweatysalami
Rep:
Whoever is looking for a laptop to study from look into the great laptops mentioned above ^

I bought a refurbished MacBook air for ~£500 and it works just like the original £2000 thing

If you’re looking for cheap options then those mentioned above are great, alternatively refurbished laptops work just as well.

Thank you for helping me out 👍
Last edited by sweatysalami; 3 years ago
heheheehexd
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
ok I don't care
johnmorgan13
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for the suggestion. I would also like to know about the price, model and some extra features.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (138)
29.93%
It went fairly well (219)
47.51%
It didn't go too well (66)
14.32%
TERRIBLE! (38)
8.24%

Watched Threads