Interailing? - Am I mad? Watch

geefitzgerald
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I have decided, as many a teenager does, to go interailing. But alone.

I am leaving in September and I am both extremely excited, and extremely terrified.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight.

1- I have extremely limited time, 12 days max, and I plan on visiting 9 countries, is this insane? Even doable?
2- I am weary of hostels, but its the only way I can afford it, whats some safe advice I could follow, staying in all female dorms?
3- Being alone? Are most people in the same situation, should I do it alone? My boyfriend is going to join me for the last 3 or so days, but is loneliness a problem.

Thank you in advance,
Georgia

Edit, I'm going from London to Vienna - Prague - Berlin - Copenhagen - Stockholm - Hamburg - Amsterdam - Paris - London
Last edited by geefitzgerald; 7 months ago
MiszShorTea765
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by geefitzgerald)

I am leaving in September and I am both extremely excited, and extremely terrified.

1- I have extremely limited time, 12 days max, and I plan on visiting 9 countries, is this insane? Even doable?
2- I am weary of hostels, but its the only way I can afford it, whats some safe advice I could follow, staying in all female dorms?
3- Being alone? Are most people in the same situation, should I do it alone? My boyfriend is going to join me for the last 3 or so days, but is loneliness a problem.

Thank you in advance,
Georgia

Edit, I'm going from London to Vienna - Prague - Berlin - Copenhagen - Stockholm - Hamburg - Amsterdam - Paris - London
To the human eye it’s not feasible. However if you believe you can do it then what’s stopping you? It’s extr brave and courageous what you’re doing. About the isolation, try sightseeing it would take your mind off things for a while.

All the best!
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by geefitzgerald)

Thank you in advance,
Georgia

9 countries in 12 days is doable - but you are really only visiting one town/ city in each country. If you use couchettes you sleep while you travel so take an 8 hour train journey and all is fine.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Travelling alone is fine. More fun, even - you are both more approachable and more inclined to approach others so you meet lots of interesting people.

Staying in hostels is obviously also fine - just make sure important stuff is safe (in most cases keeping it with you is safest). All female dorms would be nice but it might not be achievable - but I don't think this is a problem in terms of safety.

My main concern is that you are doing too many countries. Do you understand how Interrail works? I'm guessing no given you've picked 9 countries and the tickets allow 3, 5, 7 or 10 travel days? Do you understand how it would apply to night trains? Also even putting all that aside - that's very little time per city! At least have a couple of days each come on!
ivo133
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Travelling alone is awesome, I think this is an experience everybody should have made at least once in their life.
I've stayed in many hostels and never had any problems, I even prefer them to hotels because they are much cheaper and it is much easier to meet lots of interesting people there.
Have fun
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads