South Thames Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, any students have any insight / advice on some of the hospitals in and around south thames, in particular for the "year out"... just a bit clueless. Thanks in advance!
SixSimple
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi there I'll be at South Thames next year as well and was wondering the same thing. I'm considering applying to the London links, does anyone know whether the job allocations differ significantly with the 3 different links? Any hospitals people have heard good/bad things from?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Here are the posts from the Final Year Megathread about South thames

(Original post by badatgow)
Yeah I live in South London. I would say defo put continuity, from speaking to a number of current FY1s, a lot of them got some of their highly ranked jobs in continuity even though they were in the bottom two quartiles of the group. People wrongly assume the highest ranked people all put the central London teaching hospitals first, but actually a lot of them just want to stay close to home out in the counties.

For me London Links 2 would be the closest hospitals, but i've heard so many shocking things about how unsafe they are, how they're a horrible environment for juniors etc so i'm sticking clear. I've put Continuity, and my score is 86.4.

(Original post by badatgow)
St Heliers was voted the most dilapidated hospital in the UK. They built it literally backwards by accident. The quality of staff is shocking and they have extremely poor training for juniors, according to several friends who have worked there in the last few years. Epsom and Croydon are similar. Croydon used to be called Mayday, but everyone still calls it "MayDie" because of how bad the service is, and how dangerous many of the nurses/doctors are. It's a common sentiment that the only reason Croydon remains open is because they bribe the CQC to not shut them down. Communication with patients from the very multicultural local population is difficult since a low percentage speak English fluently, and interpreters are non-existent. Secondly, the local area around Croydon (Norbury) is frankly a shithole, crime rates are through the roof. I really wouldn't recommend it, especially if you plan to use public transport as mugging on the buses is common. East Surrey is an absolute dump and I wouldn't want any family members of mine to ever be treated there. The local population you'll be treating is basically drunks.

In contrast, the hospital in the south west e.g. Royal Surrey, Kingston, St Peters are lovely, very supportive with great social scenes and teaching. The local areas are much better also. And don't forget, there are far more jobs with teaching hospitals (e.g. Kings, Georges, Tommy's, Guys) combined with nice DGHs in Link 1.

I'd say go for it. Two of my friends put continuity last year with scores of 81 and 82. Both got jobs they ranked in the top 5-10, one of them had two years in London. A lot of people that put continuity are doing it so they can have two years in a specific hospital outside of London.

(Original post by DrElliotWilcock)
Yh gotta agree w above posts. LL2 is proper shite. I made a biggggg mistake picking it. im an FY2 btw, had Epsom St Helier/Croydon. My gf had tunbridge wells/croydon. I legit knew more medicine when i graduated from uni than I do now. the lads that put LL1/LL3 have had much better experience so im kinda salty lol. I havent been mugged on the bus but its defo not a nice place to be and the seniors just treat u like dirt. i just document everything 1000x more than im supposed to cos of how unsafe this place is i cba putting my GMC registration at risk.

(Original post by DrElliotWilcock)
I was at St Helier/Epsom and then Croydon. But I went to uni in london so been to several of the hospitals down south and am familiar with them.

It's not hard to get one of your top choices, it's a big deanery.
Foundationapp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have friends working in brighton and also at medway if you have any questions about those?

Does anyone know anything about living/working in hastings?
MedMen
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi!Thank you, any general tips and info would be great! I was just wondering how likely it is in the Coast and Country deanery to get your first few choices? I want to do a paeds job but there is only a handful of jobs in actual Brighton:/ also does your friend happen to know how far out community placements can go and if we can swap them at all?
Foundationapp
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I really want paeds too! but going for a london link. it totally depends on your score but cost and country is usually the lowest out of all of the 'sub-deaneries'. also my friends recommended if you want to do paeds aim to do it in f2 as in f1 you cant really do anything you're supernumary. also was looking at their swap shop and its great, you can literally swap your whole second year or one individual job (provided someone else is interested in swapping) so dont be put off if you dont like one of the jobs in a rotation!
(Original post by MedMen)
Hi!Thank you, any general tips and info would be great! I was just wondering how likely it is in the Coast and Country deanery to get your first few choices? I want to do a paeds job but there is only a handful of jobs in actual Brighton:/ also does your friend happen to know how far out community placements can go and if we can swap them at all?
MedMen
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Thank you that's really helpful! Yes, I'm counting on the swap shop, but just so you know, they said at the open day yesterday, that it is currently not running and they aren't sure in what form it will be accessible for our year! Thanks for the tips tho, fingers crossed for all of us!
(Original post by Foundationapp)
I really want paeds too! but going for a london link. it totally depends on your score but cost and country is usually the lowest out of all of the 'sub-deaneries'. also my friends recommended if you want to do paeds aim to do it in f2 as in f1 you cant really do anything you're supernumary. also was looking at their swap shop and its great, you can literally swap your whole second year or one individual job (provided someone else is interested in swapping) so dont be put off if you dont like one of the jobs in a rotation!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads