is it late?

Watch this thread
TheLukeManster
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm started to be scared - I'm tired, stressed..
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Just plan 3-4 hours a day aside for revision. You should come out with respectable grades if you play your cards right
username4537966
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
And don't forgot to take regular breaks throughout your work; and try to point/make a note for the difficult things and you can always find the revision cards here for specific subjects which will help you a lot for your exam.
TheLukeManster
Rep:
(Original post by barror1)
Just plan 3-4 hours a day aside for revision. You should come out with respectable grades if you play your cards right
All right thanks! I'm planning to start properly on Thursday! Would it be too late then? My school keep saying revision should've started in the summer and I'm just so stressed. So If I do for instance, 6 hours daily and they are very effective e.g. I do past papers over and revise the mark scheme would I pass all my GCSEs? my grades are currently a mixture of mainly 5's and 6's where english & history is a 7, but maths is a 3
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheLukeManster)
All right thanks! I'm planning to start properly on Thursday! Would it be too late then? My school keep saying revision should've started in the summer and I'm just so stressed. So If I do for instance, 6 hours daily and they are very effective e.g. I do past papers over and revise the mark scheme would I pass all my GCSEs? my grades are currently a mixture of mainly 5's and 6's where english & history is a 7, but maths is a 3
they're just being ridiculous. Summer is ridiculously early even for A-levels - there is only a finite amount of content to cover, and you have finite motivation.

Some things:
  • Past papers are good but only once you've learnt the content. There is not really any point in doing papers on content you just don't know. That said, past papers are a useful tool to make sure you know topics well.
  • The danger with relying too much on past papers is that you get used to particular questions that pop up and get too comfortable with the style. This would've probably been fine on the old spec, but with the new spec, there will be content that hasn't yet been examined that you may be neglecting, and the questions will be less repetitive and more demanding. You should be prepared for curveballs and having to apply your knowledge more. It might help to do past papers/questions from other sources (eg. different exam boards), to test your knowledge in an unfamiliar setting/context. Of course content between exam boards differ slightly so you may find things that you haven't covered if you delve into resources created for different exam boards.
  • Revising the mark scheme is bad. Understand the answers and learn from them. Do not simply remember the answers verbatim since it won't help if it gets put in an unfamiliar context! Do not do papers again in succession either, revisit papers that you haven't touched in a while (the little you remember of it the better) and see how you've improved.
  • If you're getting 7s with no revision, you're in a very good place. A 3 in maths is probably workable too.
TheLukeManster
Rep:
(Original post by _gcx)
they're just being ridiculous. Summer is ridiculously early even for A-levels - there is only a finite amount of content to cover, and you have finite motivation.

Some things:
  • Past papers are good but only once you've learnt the content. There is not really any point in doing papers on content you just don't know. That said, past papers are a useful tool to make sure you know topics well.
  • The danger with relying too much on past papers is that you get used to particular questions that pop up and get too comfortable with the style. This would've probably been fine on the old spec, but with the new spec, there will be content that hasn't yet been examined that you may be neglecting, and the questions will be less repetitive and more demanding. You should be prepared for curveballs and having to apply your knowledge more. It might help to do past papers/questions from other sources (eg. different exam boards), to test your knowledge in an unfamiliar setting/context. Of course content between exam boards differ slightly so you may find things that you haven't covered if you delve into resources created for different exam boards.
  • Revising the mark scheme is bad. Understand the answers and learn from them. Do not simply remember the answers verbatim since it won't help if it gets put in an unfamiliar context! Do not do papers again in succession either, revisit papers that you haven't touched in a while (the little you remember of it the better) and see how you've improved.
  • If you're getting 7s with no revision, you're in a very good place. A 3 in maths is probably workable too.
all my teachers think I would fail maths. Do you think with hard work that's effective I could get an 8 by the real thing or 7?
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheLukeManster)
all my teachers think I would fail maths. Do you think with hard work that's effective I could get an 8 by the real thing or 7?
I don't know. You know your potential best and how hard you've been working. Eg. if you were sweating bullets but only managing a 3, I'd say a 7/8 would be a relatively ambitious target, but if you haven't started revision you really can't say. You see quite impressive jumps in people's grades with hard work, but the grades people want are not always guaranteed by hard work. Perhaps set yourself a target when you've built up some momentum and you have a better idea of what you're capable of.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
32.86%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (32)
45.71%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.43%

Watched Threads