The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MSc/MPhil/DPhil Politics Oxford applicants

Hi there,

I'm looking for people who have applied to the above to discuss applications, results, etc. I have applied for the MSc in Political Theory Research in the fifth gathered field.
Sokrates5
Hi there,

I'm looking for people who have applied to the above to discuss applications, results, etc. I have applied for the MSc in Political Theory Research in the fifth gathered field.

I previously applied for the MSc research. What do you want to know?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
well, I wanna have a feel for what the competition is like because I've got no clue about my chances. based on the official information, I'd say I must be in, but then again it's Oxford
Sokrates5
well, I wanna have a feel for what the competition is like because I've got no clue about my chances. based on the official information, I'd say I must be in, but then again it's Oxford

Well if you're over the 68 borderline you should stand a good chance, I would have thought.
Reply 4
so that's why you didn't get in, or did you decline your offer? You know, I don't think that this is all they are looking for. I suppose that many applicants actually have the same, or even better, degree results
Sokrates5
so that's why you didn't get in, or did you decline your offer? You know, I don't think that this is all they are looking for. I suppose that many applicants actually have the same, or even better, degree results

I got an unconditional, I declined it for various reasons.

It's not all they're looking for, I'm sure. However, on my anecdotal evidence, the friends of mine who applied with less than a consistent 68 average were turned down, and those who applied with more than that got in. *shrug*
Reply 6
Okay, I really hope to get an offer then (I've even submitted a fully worked out research proposal). Too nervous already ;-)
Sokrates5
Okay, I really hope to get an offer then (I've even submitted a fully worked out research proposal). Too nervous already ;-)

I'm sure you'll be fine, just steel yourself for a very long wait!
Reply 8
yeah, I know. but I'm also gonna apply to Cambridge, where my chances should be better (they seem to expect less). Anyway, thanks!!
Sokrates5
yeah, I know. but I'm also gonna apply to Cambridge, where my chances should be better (they seem to expect less). Anyway, thanks!!

Are the deadlines for Cambridge still open for 2008 entry? :confused:

Good luck, anyway :smile:
Reply 10
Yep, fortunately they extended the PhD deadlines to 30th of June. Thank you!
Sokrates5
Yep, fortunately they extended the PhD deadlines to 30th of June. Thank you!

Oh brilliant! I had a panic moment because I know their standard final deadlines are 31st March :wink: Glad to hear you're already on to that one, then!
Reply 12
what are you doing now? I read somewhere that another offer of yours was declined for some reason if I remember correctly?
Reply 13
It was by accident really that I discovered their new deadline and I was really happy about it. I love Cambridge
Sokrates5
what are you doing now? I read somewhere that another offer of yours was declined for some reason if I remember correctly?

i'm doing the 1+3. I applied to three places to obviously turned down two of them :wink: Best of luck with Oxford and Cambridge, I hope you get in!
Reply 15
Thanks, best of luck for your PhD then!
Does this course require a thesis proposal with the application or is it all based on previous marks?
Original post by hitherepeeps
Does this course require a thesis proposal with the application or is it all based on previous marks?

As this is a seven year old thread, you might like to start a new one :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending