Hay fever help Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
After that *magic* heatwave the UK experienced, all the pollen has decided to come and attack me. :rofl:

I was wondering if anyone knew any quick fixes/how to stop all the symptoms. The main ones I get are the itchy eyes and blocked nose.

Spoiler:
Show

I'm taking my prescribed cetirizine tablets but it doesn't seem to be working...
CatnipGlows
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
After that *magic* heatwave the UK experienced, all the pollen has decided to come and attack me. :rofl:

I was wondering if anyone knew any quick fixes/how to stop all the symptoms. The main ones I get are the itchy eyes and blocked nose.

Spoiler:
Show

I'm taking my prescribed cetirizine tablets but it doesn't seem to be working...
Not exactly the same issue, but I have a bad dust allergy and it's essentially the same reaction. Aside from meds, there are a few things that help me 'manage' my symptoms so I don't feel like death.

1. Keep moving. Not super active but I find going for walks outside helps clear my sinuses. Staying still for a long time makes me feel bunged up (not very helpful in terms of classes/lectures however!)
2. Strong mints. I find these help clear me up as well. I don't like very strong mints so I just have mint mentos, but I think the stronger the better.
3. Make sure you drink plenty! It can be easy to forget to stay hydrated but the last thing you want on top of all of this is a dehydration headache.
4. Warm drinks/soup can be very soothing as well.

A final word on your medication - there are different types of tablets, and not all work for everyone. Cetrizine doesn't work for me, but loratadine does (key ingredient, not brand name). If they're not working, either try asking your doctor to try a different one, or go to a pharmacist and try out some other ones.

Hope this helps!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by CatnipGlows)
Not exactly the same issue, but I have a bad dust allergy and it's essentially the same reaction. Aside from meds, there are a few things that help me 'manage' my symptoms so I don't feel like death.

1. Keep moving. Not super active but I find going for walks outside helps clear my sinuses. Staying still for a long time makes me feel bunged up (not very helpful in terms of classes/lectures however!)
2. Strong mints. I find these help clear me up as well. I don't like very strong mints so I just have mint mentos, but I think the stronger the better.
3. Make sure you drink plenty! It can be easy to forget to stay hydrated but the last thing you want on top of all of this is a dehydration headache.
4. Warm drinks/soup can be very soothing as well.

A final word on your medication - there are different types of tablets, and not all work for everyone. Cetrizine doesn't work for me, but loratadine does (key ingredient, not brand name). If they're not working, either try asking your doctor to try a different one, or go to a pharmacist and try out some other ones.

Hope this helps!
Thank you! The strong mints idea is new to me, I should try that! :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads