Retainers...Gaps? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey, I have recently had my braces removed (like 2 weeks prior to this post) after having braces for a long time. I've worn my retainer as advised but have noticed my front two top teeth have a slight gap between them at the bottom which formed a couple of days after my braces were removed.

I was wondering if this is normal (I don't recall my teeth originally have at a gap at the front but then again it has been a while) or whether I should call the Orthodontist (I doubt they will do anything as it's the NHS and it's probably not that important - also I don't really mind in terms of physical appearance, it's just the fact that I had the braces on for so long, it's a bit annoying).

(Also, on a side note, behind one of my teeth on the bottom row there's like a blister formed from where the retainer stops, and damn it hurts like a *****, and was also wondering if I stopped wearing my retainer for a night would it affect my teeth that much, all things considered)

Thanks.
super_hannah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It is normal, my teeth moved a tad after my braces were taken off. If you're worried about it, schedule another appointment with the orthodontist.
In terms of the blister, if you need to not wear your retainers for one night, it's really not going to do any damage to your teeth. Just make sure you don't do this every night considering you've only just had your braces taken off!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by super_hannah)
It is normal, my teeth moved a tad after my braces were taken off. If you're worried about it, schedule another appointment with the orthodontist.
In terms of the blister, if you need to not wear your retainers for one night, it's really not going to do any damage to your teeth. Just make sure you don't do this every night considering you've only just had your braces taken off!
Thank you for replying, I appreciate it very much now that it seems that it's just the natural shifting of the teeth rather than the retainers (I was partially worried due to the advice of wearing them for 2 days and then just for nights, as other people seemed to have to wear theirs for 3 months during the day as well). I will wait another week for the blister thing before I brave the no retainer night, just to make sure and hope that my teeth don't shift to different continents.

Again, thanks so much. (:
super_hannah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You're welcome
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you for replying, I appreciate it very much now that it seems that it's just the natural shifting of the teeth rather than the retainers (I was partially worried due to the advice of wearing them for 2 days and then just for nights, as other people seemed to have to wear theirs for 3 months during the day as well). I will wait another week for the blister thing before I brave the no retainer night, just to make sure and hope that my teeth don't shift to different continents.

Again, thanks so much. (:
Prussianxo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd try and refrain from not wearing your retainers as you've just got them off they are much more likely to move. Also when you put them on after a night off they hurt like hell
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed