University of York freshers (2019) Watch

Jackudy3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Welcome to the York freshers thread for 2019 entry!

:bl::banana::groovy:

I'm making this thread early to get in touch with other people who will be entering first year alongside me (my place is confirmed) :yep:.

At the moment it's looking like my top choice accommodation is going to be Constantine, Goodricke or Langwith as these are on Campus East and are therefore close to the Computer Science building where I will be studying for my degree. I'd be interested to know where everyone else is looking at staying.

Feel free to post here if you are expecting to be a York fresher in the academic year commencing 2019, and maybe we can get to know each other (way) in advance.

I'm pretty sure that York doesn't have its freshers week until October, which is a shame because I'd be starting my course now if I could!

:nopity:

Hopefully I'll see some of you there :rolleyes:.
Last edited by Jackudy3; 1 week ago
Amanda101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello

I have firmed York and will be studying Interactive Media (if results go to plan lol)

Accommodation wise, I am also hoping to get somewhere on Campus East as that is near to the Theatre, Film and Television building where my course is going to be.

I am looking forward to going to university 😁
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Kiraz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes my place is confirmed too and I went there on Saturday. I was lost from south car park to biology department and back but I am sure I will familiarize with the route soon enough. They have a huge library and I am sure I will spend many times there.
TheNewLad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello, another confirmed place here! All my accommodation choices are on campus west so I can be close to the language buildings. I can't wait to go to be honest, I'm getting really bored of college.
Jackudy3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kiraz)
Yes my place is confirmed too and I went there on Saturday. I was lost from south car park to biology department and back but I am sure I will familiarize with the route soon enough. They have a huge library and I am sure I will spend many times there.
I'll be going up to York on Sunday this week for a general look around both sides of the campus and the city itself.

Pretty much going spotting where all the stuff I need is (supermarkets, fast food places, etc) and going on a bit of a tourist trip. I've visited York before but it has been quite a while so I'm going to go back now that my place is confirmed.
Meg_x12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello

I've also firmed York and have applied to study Politics and International Relations, I'm really excited to be honest. I also applied for the same three colleges on campus east in this order: 1) Langwith 2)Constantine 3) Goodricke. I visited York a few months ago and even though my lectures are on West I really enjoyed the feel of East so hopefully I'll get one of my top three choices. Thanks for starting this thread, it would be nice to get to know some people before move-in day!
mikepeans140
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I have also firmed york having received an unconditional offer. I would like to live in Langwith and have put it as my first choice for accommodation, does anyone know the likelihood of me being allocated here? I applied fairly quickly (6 days - within a week). From what I've read there is higher demand for accomodation on the West campus and I understand Langwith is located on the East.
Mike
Meg_x12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
I put Langwith as my first choice too, however I applied on the day that accommodation opened. From what I have read Langwith is in high demand, at least in terms of the colleges campus east, you may have a better chance at getting in than me though as you have received an unconditional from the university which means they'll prioritise your application over people like me who have a conditional offer. (At least that's what I understood based on their website). What did you put as your second and third choice if you don't mind me asking? Also, if you applied for an ensuite that is most likely in higher demand than a shared bathroom in Langwith.

-Megan
(Original post by mikepeans140)
Hi, I have also firmed york having received an unconditional offer. I would like to live in Langwith and have put it as my first choice for accommodation, does anyone know the likelihood of me being allocated here? I applied fairly quickly (6 days - within a week). From what I've read there is higher demand for accomodation on the West campus and I understand Langwith is located on the East.
Mike
mikepeans140
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Megan,
Yes, it was an ensuite and my second and third choices were both ensuites as well (2nd: Constantine, 3rd: Goodricke). From what I understood based the website (and similarly for most other universities), accomodation is allocated on a first come first served basis, and so I was wondering how quick my application is likely to be in comparison with other applicants/how many spaces are there available in Langwith? I am keen to live here and so I'm looking for a rough idea of my chances.
Mike
(Original post by Meg_x12)
Hi,
I put Langwith as my first choice too, however I applied on the day that accommodation opened. From what I have read Langwith is in high demand, at least in terms of the colleges campus east, you may have a better chance at getting in than me though as you have received an unconditional from the university which means they'll prioritise your application over people like me who have a conditional offer. (At least that's what I understood based on their website). What did you put as your second and third choice if you don't mind me asking? Also, if you applied for an ensuite that is most likely in higher demand than a shared bathroom in Langwith.

-Megan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Mike
Hi Mike,
Applied Edge Hill for PE, not too sure why i am on this forum but oh well. I am 36 and applied York a few years ago now to study Sports Science. My btec was something I knew would hold me back. All I needed was a distinction. I didn't get it. Took a few years out, went to Leeds festival, nailed mutants and now find myself here...Back at square one. Anyway, the point is,, I need help, and fast. The Truth is, I dont want to go Edge Hill. it looks dirty. Lonely. However, I know York won't take a 36 year old man with a btec, on benefits and living in Southport. Please help me Mike, You seem like a good chap.
Kind regards
Darren Bercow
Last edited by 5679; 1 week ago
Jackudy3
Rep:
?
Hi,

-Megan
What on their website gives you this impression? Curious, as it might prove a saving grace for me in terms of where I end up accommodation wise.

And like Mike, I'd be interested to know what level of competition there is for the Campus East colleges so that I can more accurately assess my own chances if anyone has more information on this.
Meg_x12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jackudy3)
What on their website gives you this impression? Curious, as it might prove a saving grace for me in terms of where I end up accommodation wise.

And like Mike, I'd be interested to know what level of competition there is for the Campus East colleges so that I can more accurately assess my own chances if anyone has more information on this.
Hi,

I just went back on their website and realised I misunderstood, I mixed up how they give priority to firm choices over insurance choices, not to unconditional offer holders (sorry for the confusion). If you look through some past threads on York one person posted a chart made by the university that shows the likelihood of getting different rooms in different colleges (It may take a bit of scrolling back to find it but it's definitely somewhere on the Student room website).
mikepeans140
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Any chance you could send a link?
(Original post by 5679)
Hi Mike,
Applied Edge Hill for PE, not too sure why i am on this forum but oh well. I am 36 and applied York a few years ago now to study Sports Science. My btec was something I knew would hold me back. All I needed was a distinction. I didn't get it. Took a few years out, went to Leeds festival, nailed mutants and now find myself here...Back at square one. Anyway, the point is,, I need help, and fast. The Truth is, I dont want to go Edge Hill. it looks dirty. Lonely. However, I know York won't take a 36 year old man with a btec, on benefits and living in Southport. Please help me Mike, You seem like a good chap.
Kind regards
Darren Bercow
Hi,

I just went back on their website and realised I misunderstood, I mixed up how they give priority to firm choices over insurance choices, not to unconditional offer holders (sorry for the confusion). If you look through some past threads on York one person posted a chart made by the university that shows the likelihood of getting different rooms in different colleges (It may take a bit of scrolling back to find it but it's definitely somewhere on the Student room website).
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
cheers Mike for nothing
mikepeans140
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Daz,
Sorry berko lad been time since we last spoke didn’t recognise you with such chaotic syntax anyone would think u was still in the holophrastic stage u dope however I was impressed by your use of minor sentences. In regards to edge hill I think you’ve hit the nail on the head in that it’s dirty however having given it some thought it’s the type of places grasses like you belong. Been on the phone to york for an hour now trying to squeeze you onto the Russian course but turns out some fella called mr carrot head has just secured the last place after all 3 of his Durham applications were dissolved by Miss mee. They’re willing to give you an offer if you apply as a mature student at reading when you’re 40. The entry requirements are to be the National fell running champion. Currently trying to get through to anytime fitness to negotiate your insurance offer cos apparently there’s jobs going for head juice head after chip johnson retired undefeated. In regards to your btec I did an EPQ on btec qualifications and my conclusion was they’re absolutely worthless so probs not worth pursuing if you want an invite to Boothy’s 18. Kind regards and valedictions,
Mike P
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Daz,
Sorry berko lad been time since we last spoke didn’t recognise you with such chaotic syntax anyone would think u was still in the holophrastic stage u dope however I was impressed by your use of minor sentences. In regards to edge hill I think you’ve hit the nail on the head in that it’s dirty however having given it some thought it’s the type of places grasses like you belong. Been on the phone to york for an hour now trying to squeeze you onto the Russian course but turns out some fella called mr carrot head has just secured the last place after all 3 of his Durham applications were dissolved by Miss mee. They’re willing to give you an offer if you apply as a mature student at reading when you’re 40. The entry requirements are to be the National fell running champion. Currently trying to get through to anytime fitness to negotiate your insurance offer cos apparently there’s jobs going for head juice head after chip johnson retired undefeated. In regards to your btec I did an EPQ on btec qualifications and my conclusion was they’re absolutely worthless so probs not worth pursuing if you want an invite to Boothy’s 18. Kind regards and valedictions,
Mike P
Hello again Mike,
I appreciate this feedback greatly, however have just a few other things to say....
First and foremost, I've been on the phone to York all night who said they are looking to scout some local wonderkid. Thanks for a complete fabrication there Mike u traitor. Local I am not, but prodigee is my middle name. Im going down tomorrow morning to finalise the deal to study medicine. Apparently my science btec showed potential and was in their words 'a meaty piece'. Also the admissions chief said his ex did a Science btec and was also from Southport so he could relate!! Thank God!
I have been looking to get a job at Anytime as well, with the wages 40 grand a year, it would be hard to pass up. I asked for some advice on how to get in shape from a lad named 'Chip' , funny Cos he resembled that of a potato. Rather chunky and mushy . I am currently signed on his books in a deal that expires June 2020, so hopefully I can transform these chicken arms into arms of steel. I gave in to the temptation of steroids and noticed a black leak in my left bicep, which I will have the school nurse look at. It's getting deeper and larger, but I'm pushing through in the hope i can get myself a few lady friends at York.
Jackudy3
Rep:
?
And the award for best York comedy duo goes to Mike and Daz, before they are even attending.
daviescallum42
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi everyone,

I applied for the catering job and got an unconditional offer. Ha ha. Just kidding.

In all seriousness I have actually applied to York for Midwifery and aim to go to “Alcuin”. My only problem is I’ve heard the “dirtier” students hang outside the entrances to that accommodation, and as a mature student (34YO) myself I fear I may get bullied upon entrance. My only references for this come from Michael Booth who is one of the lecturers for P.E.

Any help would be brilliant. Thanks in advance.
username4546480
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jackudy3)
Welcome to the York freshers thread for 2019 entry!

:bl::banana::groovy:

I'm making this thread early to get in touch with other people who will be entering first year alongside me (my place is confirmed) :yep:.

At the moment it's looking like my top choice accommodation is going to be Constantine, Goodricke or Langwith as these are on Campus East and are therefore close to the Computer Science building where I will be studying for my degree. I'd be interested to know where everyone else is looking at staying.

Feel free to post here if you are expecting to be a York fresher in the academic year commencing 2019, and maybe we can get to know each other (way) in advance.

I'm pretty sure that York doesn't have its freshers week until October, which is a shame because I'd be starting my course now if I could!

:nopity:

Hopefully I'll see some of you there :rolleyes:.
Pretty much same here CS unconditional accepted looking at the same accommodation/colleges.
See you in October 👍
mikepeans140
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What course Tom ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sun, 30 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (125)
17.68%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.4%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (102)
14.43%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.9%
How can I be the best version of myself? (215)
30.41%

Watched Threads