Faizan Sultan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Which one is more renowned for economics internationally, Lancaster uni or uni of Sheffield?
username4207886
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sheffield is ranked in the World Top 100 and is an old red-brick Uni, whereas Lancaster isn't in the Top 100 and it isn't a historical University (I think it was founded in the 1960s). I would definitely say Sheffield has the better reputation.

Also, this is subjective, but I would say that Sheffield is a more desirable place to live in than Lancaster. I have visited Sheffield University three times, and visited Lancaster twice (including a three-day summer school). I think that Sheffield offers a much more vibrant community, a much bigger and more buzzing city, and ultimately a much more interesting lifestyle. Parts of the city of Lancaster are historic, but much more of the city is tacky. The Uni is isolated in a field outside the city so you can't casually walk into the city, and both the shops and nightlife are lacklustre. Also, it is over an hour away from the nearest major city. On the other hand, Sheffield has a nicer campus in a city with good nightlife, gig venues, lots of shops and a large shopping centre - Lancaster has none of this. If you want a day out, you are under an hour away from Leeds, York, Manchester or Nottingham.
Faizan Sultan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by DanielOnTSR)
Sheffield is ranked in the World Top 100 and is an old red-brick Uni, whereas Lancaster isn't in the Top 100 and it isn't a historical University (I think it was founded in the 1960s). I would definitely say Sheffield has the better reputation.

Also, this is subjective, but I would say that Sheffield is a more desirable place to live in than Lancaster. I have visited Sheffield University three times, and visited Lancaster twice (including a three-day summer school). I think that Sheffield offers a much more vibrant community, a much bigger and more buzzing city, and ultimately a much more interesting lifestyle. Parts of the city of Lancaster are historic, but much more of the city is tacky. The Uni is isolated in a field outside the city so you can't casually walk into the city, and both the shops and nightlife are lacklustre. Also, it is over an hour away from the nearest major city. On the other hand, Sheffield has a nicer campus in a city with good nightlife, gig venues, lots of shops and a large shopping centre - Lancaster has none of this. If you want a day out, you are under an hour away from Leeds, York, Manchester or Nottingham.
Thanks brother, the information provided by you is really helpful for me to decide between these two.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (279)
33.98%
No (542)
66.02%

Watched Threads