The Student Room Group

Mature student looking for uni's to pursue math

Hie everyone,

I am a mature student looking to change my career. I have a business degree from Switzerland and now I want to pursue a career in math. Initially, I wanted to do mathematical finance and I got accepted to the university of Leicester. But I had a very limited math background, hence I decided I would instead purse a pre-masters diploma in Mathematics to get a foundation. The pre-masters diploma covers all of the first year math with some 2nd year modules in computing and stats. I have been finding linear algebra very interesting and would like continue with my math so I am trying to find the right degree and uni to pursue my masters.

Qualifications:
A's in IGCSE for math and coordinate science
Bachelors in Business Administration Distinction from Switzerland (economics and accounting modules)
Pre-masters diploma in Math at University of Leicester

If anyone has any suggestions on some of the math Msc programs and universities I will be really really grateful. I really want to pursue my interest in Math, so please do take 2 mins and give me any advice and suggestions to which uni I should be looking out for and which uni might take me in for their math courses.

It is never easy changing careers, and so I want to get it right this time around. Please help.
Original post by hphitesh
Hie everyone,

I am a mature student looking to change my career. I have a business degree from Switzerland and now I want to pursue a career in math. Initially, I wanted to do mathematical finance and I got accepted to the university of Leicester. But I had a very limited math background, hence I decided I would instead purse a pre-masters diploma in Mathematics to get a foundation. The pre-masters diploma covers all of the first year math with some 2nd year modules in computing and stats. I have been finding linear algebra very interesting and would like continue with my math so I am trying to find the right degree and uni to pursue my masters.

Qualifications:
A's in IGCSE for math and coordinate science
Bachelors in Business Administration Distinction from Switzerland (economics and accounting modules)
Pre-masters diploma in Math at University of Leicester

If anyone has any suggestions on some of the math Msc programs and universities I will be really really grateful. I really want to pursue my interest in Math, so please do take 2 mins and give me any advice and suggestions to which uni I should be looking out for and which uni might take me in for their math courses.

It is never easy changing careers, and so I want to get it right this time around. Please help.

You could always apply at the open university and then it can work flexibly around your current career.
Reply 2
Hi There!
I studied engineering abroad then a master in computer science an MBA but my passion was always Math. I tried to do it but found it really hard after so many years not seeing anything Mathematically challenging.
These are the courses I found and will add Some details:

Oxford
MSc mathematical finance. It is part time and it targets people already in employment hence why is part time. It has a great curricula.

York
Mathematical finance distance learning. I liked this program. You can do it in 3 or 2 years online.
The program resembles the one taught at campus. It is ledby reputable mathematicians, I got their books before looking at any admissions test. Yet they offer a foundation course should you not qualify for immediate entry. If you pass , you can progress to the master. The foundation course is also online.

Sheffield
Statistics and mathematical finance. I accepted this offer purely because of the statistics modules. Great course; you start with a foundation course or brush up week on campus then you go home and do all DL.
I found it tough.

I will carry on with York which has the hybrid element of quantitative finance that I was look for but I have to say the Sheffield one was good and gave me great foundations at once. you could attend to lectures as well. I live in London so that was not a choice.

Kings college
Mathematical finance. Great program but on campus. The part time option is available. I was accepted but I am as working crazy hours so it wasn’t a choice. Yet the program is very well balanced.

Queen Mary
Mathematical finance, they also accept PT students . Its PT has been running for a long time so it is mature enough to offer a good choice.

Hope it helps, if you google each of these you will get fees and further details.
York has all the info.
Best of luck
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by citygeek
Hi There!
I studied engineering abroad then a master in computer science an MBA but my passion was always Math. I tried to do it but found it really hard after so many years not seeing anything Mathematically challenging.
These are the courses I found and will add Some details:

Oxford
MSc mathematical finance. It is part time and it targets people already in employment hence why is part time. It has a great curricula.

York
Mathematical finance distance learning. I liked this program. You can do it in 3 or 2 years online.
The program resembles the one taught at campus. It is ledby reputable mathematicians, I got their books before looking at any admissions test. Yet they offer a foundation course should you not qualify for immediate entry. If you pass , you can progress to the master. The foundation course is also online.

Sheffield
Statistics and mathematical finance. I accepted this offer purely because of the statistics modules. Great course; you start with a foundation course or brush up week on campus then you go home and do all DL.
I found it tough.

I will carry on with York which has the hybrid element of quantitative finance that I was look for but I have to say the Sheffield one was good and gave me great foundations at once. you could attend to lectures as well. I live in London so that was not a choice.

Kings college
Mathematical finance. Great program but on campus. The part time option is available. I was accepted but I am as working crazy hours so it wasn’t a choice. Yet the program is very well balanced.

Queen Mary
Mathematical finance, they also accept PT students . Its PT has been running for a long time so it is mature enough to offer a good choice.

Hope it helps, if you google each of these you will get fees and further details.
York has all the info.
Best of luck

Hi there,
It's been a while since your very informative post on the subject. How did your MSc at York help you excel in your career?

I am 38. Like you I studied engineering a long time ago, followed by a MSc in Computer Science. I have worked in the IT sector for the past 12 years. However I am looking for a more intellectually stimulating career as a quantitative developer. I have the requisite software engineering skills but not the mathematics background needed for a quantitative developer role at a hedge fund.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending