hayls9335
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Manchester Met or Leeds Trinity

My dilemma-
I’m studying forensic psychology. I live in Wakefield and these are the only 2 universities relatively near by that offer the course.

Background- Driver, mum to 2 under 3 years old, mature student (26) , will be living at home and commuting.

Leeds is the closest at 40 mins travel time
MMU is 1hr 15 mins

I feel like picking Leeds trinity just for the distance is ‘settling’ I really haven’t heard great things about the uni and my tutor on my access course says I’m lowering my prospects choosing Leeds trinity (currently have distinctions throughout)

Leeds pros:
Closer
Offers placement
Parking available
Leeds cons:
Not exactly reputable
Poor reviews

MMU pros:
Offers masters in forensic psych
Reputable course and recognised
MMU cons:
Distance (what happens if I’m called by childcare to pick up an ill child?)
Fuel consumption - can I afford to travel? Eventually train fares/ petrol will rack up. Plus parking fees
Doesn’t offer placement

I will HAVE to choose MMU for my masters so should I bite the bullet and study it all there?

I genuinely don’t know what to do and time is running out fast.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thankyou
Last edited by hayls9335; 2 years ago
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hayls9335)
Manchester Met or Leeds Trinity

My dilemma-
I’m studying forensic psychology. I live in Wakefield and these are the only 2 universities relatively near by that offer the course.
Background- Driver, mum to 2 under 3 years old, mature student (26) , will be living at home and commuting.
Leeds is the closest at 40 mins travel time
MMU is 1hr 15 mins
Can anyone offer any advice?
Thankyou
It's a genuine question, good luck for when you finally choose!. I look at it from a slightly different perspective, from EU, as most European students simply (and always) choose their most local university for Undegrad studies, for cost and travel reasons: It is in UK that we seek to travel all over the country "to get to a univ as far away from home as possible" in some cases :-) I don't think that is your mnotivation!

In your case the simple, unfallible, 'EU closest' that would logically be Leeds. (but leeds has other colleges?)

How to get to Leeds Trinity, surely you might be able to get there by Train?. There's a nice old station at Horsforth, on t'commuter line to York, ten minute walk uphill to Trinity. This University is about ten minutes from where I grew up near Yeadon Airport, tho' it was a Nunnery with a Shrubbery or something religious with sports-fields before it became 'new university' (found that it was a Catholic convent of the Sisters of the Cross and Passion!). You could drive to Horsforth, best bet would be to take either the M-1 to Garforth, then eastern ring-road to Horsforth. Or depending on the (terrible) Leeds traffic you could try the White Rose centre, Pudsey western ring-road. Car Sharing might be another option to ease the week?

Big no-no is that MMU is at the otherside of the 'dreaded' M-62, some days it is nose-to-tail HGV's and so MMU is more like 4 hours away! Not every day, but I think you might see a lot of dawn driving, to make a 9:30 lecture? Google Maps can help as they report the live traffic delays on these urban and inter-urban routes, so check transit times, check in mornings and evenings, simulate a real trip to LT or MMU.

Doesn't Sheff Hallam, or perhaps Sheffield Uni also do forensics psych? and Masters in such. M1 is a lot nicer than the M-62.

You are right that Trinity Leeds seems to have mixed reviews (in general - not specifically for your subject), it has 3000 students, and I'd guess a lot will be locals, hence some people complain it's not a "proper student life" drinking & etc It is a nice place just at the start of Wharfedale, Airdale, rolling hills in the distance. I think it is still considered to be a teaching university for teaching teachers, as opposed to a 'general research' university (much ranking is gained by 'research')

I found a few negative (general) reviews also for MMU, but again not specifically for psych. It certainly has a longer history as a research university than LTrinity, but could you actually reliably get there, when needed, driving in all weathers

[Quoting here, unforgivably, from Wikipedia. The section between junctions 18 (with the M60) and 29 (with the M1) through Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire has been identified as one of the most congested roads in Britain.[35][36] The motorway provides a direct link between three of the five largest metro areas in England, and is the most practical route for HGVs and other commercial traffic between Manchester and Leeds. There are a significant amount of warehouses in these urban areas, which require commercial delivery to the ports at Merseyside and around the Humber, all of which are transported via the M62.]

In my case I got a great qualification at a "worse" place than both LT & MMU, completely ignored now when I apply for a job as they only wish to see where I did my most recent studying. If you can work hard at either of these you will do great. But for a "less complicated , zen-like, life" try Horsforth)

Why 'must' you do your Master's in Manch? (answering: I guess its for a specific role/job over that side of the pennines) good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads