How do you deal with a job you hate that causes anxiety? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve got my first ever job after graduating and I was really excited. A few months in and it causes me so much anxiety now. I feel so incompetent being around experienced people and I’m constantly asking questions over small things which I think annoys other colleagues. I’m the youngest which is also hard as it’s hard to relate to others and I feel like people look down on me. Maybe it’s just me thinking this but that’s the worst part about anxiety. I find it hard to speak up at meetings and in front of people. It’s overwhelming and makes me dread going in on busy days as I feel like I’ll mess up. I hate this feeling and I want to stay at this company for a few years but I don’t know how to handle this constant anxiety. I want to talk to my manager about this but I’m worried he’ll think I’m just moaning about work. There’s a colleague who joined after me and constantly talks to me in a patronising way and has a very weird vibe towards me. She’s friendly with all other colleagues but with me she seems hostile. This also impacts my days as I’m constantly worried that she’s talking about me to other colleagues/my manager. I also feel as if they talk about me behind my back but I want to learn how to not care anymore.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
They thought you were good enough to offer you a position so you must have what they’re looking for!!

Look at it like this, it’s sink or swim...
-Eirlys-
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think now it's a good time to speak to a doctor who can refer you for some counselling as it seems this is appearing due to your own self esteem issues. I would recommend a small dose of medication too, if you're open to that. I found medication incredibly helpful for my anxiety. Also making sure that you're minimising stress levels and getting enough sleep. I hope things get better for you. ♥
TheRareSamuel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What is your reason for wanting to stay on? Maybe this isn't for you? But before thinking like this, I agree with hannxm that you should consult your doctor and see what support is available. Hope you have the best possible outcome!
(Original post by hannxm)
I think now it's a good time to speak to a doctor who can refer you for some counselling as it seems this is appearing due to your own self esteem issues. I would recommend a small dose of medication too, if you're open to that. I found medication incredibly helpful for my anxiety. Also making sure that you're minimising stress levels and getting enough sleep. I hope things get better for you. ♥
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve got my first ever job after graduating and I was really excited. A few months in and it causes me so much anxiety now. I feel so incompetent being around experienced people and I’m constantly asking questions over small things which I think annoys other colleagues. I’m the youngest which is also hard as it’s hard to relate to others and I feel like people look down on me. Maybe it’s just me thinking this but that’s the worst part about anxiety. I find it hard to speak up at meetings and in front of people. It’s overwhelming and makes me dread going in on busy days as I feel like I’ll mess up. I hate this feeling and I want to stay at this company for a few years but I don’t know how to handle this constant anxiety. I want to talk to my manager about this but I’m worried he’ll think I’m just moaning about work. There’s a colleague who joined after me and constantly talks to me in a patronising way and has a very weird vibe towards me. She’s friendly with all other colleagues but with me she seems hostile. This also impacts my days as I’m constantly worried that she’s talking about me to other colleagues/my manager. I also feel as if they talk about me behind my back but I want to learn how to not care anymore.
Top123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i would say you're feeling this way, this paranoid anxious feeling because you dont think you're amazing at what you do. Seems to me those feelings will alleviate once you improve, keep asking questions, keep highlighting things you do wrong and really focus on how you can improve on them and do so, its all about progression...but you just feel the progression isnt fast enough? Once you get good, those feelings of inferiority will disappear.
Doesnt sound like u hate ur job, just social aspects of it which are in all jobs.
(Original post by Anonymous)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads