Want to get into teaching, what do I have to do? Watch

anxietyncaffeine
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I'm studying a masters course in digital media and I've done my undergrad in sociology. I just wanted to know what i should do in order to get into teaching? I'm an international student, and was wondering if there was an online course or a part time certificate I can do?
yzanne
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anxietyncaffeine)
So I'm studying a masters course in digital media and I've done my undergrad in sociology. I just wanted to know what i should do in order to get into teaching? I'm an international student, and was wondering if there was an online course or a part time certificate I can do?
I believe all teachers have to do a PGCE course and DBS check, though I'm not sure entirely if the DBS check is included in the PGCE. Found a link for you:

https://getintoteaching.education.go...ng-routes/pgce

Good luck!
bwilliams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anxietyncaffeine)
What do you want to teach?
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yzanne)
I believe all teachers have to do a PGCE course and DBS check, though I'm not sure entirely if the DBS check is included in the PGCE. Found a link for you:

https://getintoteaching.education.go...ng-routes/pgce

Good luck!
Not necessarily a PGCE, though that's the most common route. The DBS usually must be done before you start the course.
yzanne
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Not necessarily a PGCE, though that's the most common route. The DBS usually must be done before you start the course.
Understood. I think because all my teachers have done one, that’s how most teachers go about it like you said.

I always wondered whether having a PHD got you straight into the job as a teacher? Another day, another mystery
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by yzanne)
Understood. I think because all my teachers have done one, that’s how most teachers go about it like you said.

I always wondered whether having a PHD got you straight into the job as a teacher? Another day, another mystery
Not really, you still need Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). PhDs do have a small component about teaching I believe, but that's because a lot of them do some part time teaching at the university they study with. To my knowledge that doesn't give you QTS and therefore wouldn't qualify you to teach in schools. Though independent schools and academies may accept you for a job if you didn't have QTS since they don't have to follow the same rules.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
bwilliams
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
To my knowledge that doesn't give you QTS and therefore wouldn't qualify you to teach in schools. Though independent schools and academies may accept you for a job if you didn't have QTS since they don't have to follow the same rules.
:yy: Correct. Although, without QTS you are likely to be payed less.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (47)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (64)
13.94%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.46%
How can I be the best version of myself? (139)
30.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed