?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I’ve gotten conditional offers for :
Bsc economics Bristol
Ma Edinburgh
BAecon Manchester
Bsc Leeds
Bsc Birmingham
I’m an Egyptian student who has never been to any of these cities so I have no idea what life is like in any of them I think I’m gonna eliminate Bristol because it wants a 7 in ib mathematics which I cannot get and also I’m eliminating Birmingham (not feeling it) and I might eliminate Edinburgh because I don’t think I want to spend 4 years on an undergraduate course. That leaves me with Manchester and Leeds. Manchester is a very prestigious university and much higher in world ranking than Leeds but I’m not sure which one is better for economics and does it matter that Manchester is a bachelors of art and Leeds is bachelors of science? Also I care about life in the city in terms of safety, people, things to do and facilities in both universities I legit have no idea Someone please help me it’s like idk what anything is like cause I’ve never seen it and if you have any other opinions about the unis I eliminated let me know. (Oh and I tried to get the ranking in economics but the sources say completely different things)
Last edited by Marinawanis; 5 months ago
BenRyan99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
BSc Economics courses are more highly regarded than BA ones due to them normally being more maths heavy which is desirable from an employers point of view. So that would give leeds the edge but since you said you don't think you're amazing maybe you'd prefer the BA.

In terms of reputation Manchester is better than Leeds and as a student city it is also probably better (bigger, more things to do).

Kinda depends on what you value most, course Vs uni rep and city.

In my opinion I'd go with Edinburgh, best course out of the 3, nicest city and still with an amazing UK and international rep. Ik it's an extra year but once yourey a student you'll probably see that as an advantage.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Manchester, a great northern city (quite friendly). Big university & enormous number of students, maybe too many students?. Slightly wetter side of the country

Leeds, a great northern city (quite friendly). Big university. Slightly drier middle of the country. You would live in/near Headingley, it is OK, fairly safe.

Bristol, tiny place, nice uni

Edinburgh, gorgeous capital city of Scotland, quite friendly, very safe. Lots of weather. Ancient Castle & (extinct) Volcano in town centre
If you get higher IB marks you can sometimes directly get in to year Two,
I agree with BenRyan above that It is the most prestigious university on your list, at least Edinburgh University thinks-so, they are a bit snooty - a bit snobby, but is actually a great place and quite hard to get in to. Congratulations if you have received an offer from them!

Birmingham is in middle of UK, very culturally mixed city, different areas home to different 'tribes' , with Sparkbrook suburb sometimes looking like Baluchistan, I lived there for two years and like it a lot. It is perhaps second after Edinburgh for real reputation?
Ryuzaki_Light
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i also applied for economics and firmed university of Birmingham, i can tell you its really diverse which something you kind of want, you have arabs, asians and any other ethnicity you can think of here making you feel at home and making it easier for you to make friends
UniGuru25
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
They're all really good universities. All Russell Group, all prestigious. You need to think about the course and the city. I'm from the UK and work at a Russell Group university so hopefully this helps.

In order this is where I would go:

Manchester - awesome uni city, easy to get in and out of, great local and international reputation (34th in the world), lovely campus
Edinburgh - lovely historic city, friendly locals, loads of culture, good reputation
Bristol Tied 3rd with Leeds- often referred to as the destination for Oxbridge rejects (not sure how true that is), quaint city that's industrious and arty, good reputation
Leeds Ties 3rd with Bristol- really friendly northern city (close to where I am from), easy to get in and out of, historic and a good reputation
Birmingham - not the most desirable city to live in- considered a bit rough around the edges, fairly good reputation but probably not as prestigious as Edinburgh, Manchester or Bristol

Wherever you decide to go you will have access to great resources, career links and placement opportunities, make lots of lifelong friends and ultimately get a great Russell Group education. You can't go far wrong with any of these universities and if you have offers from all 5 you have done amazingly well! Keep up the good work and good luck!
(Original post by Marinawanis)
So I’ve gotten conditional offers for :
Bsc economics Bristol
Ma Edinburgh
BAecon Manchester
Bsc Leeds
Bsc Birmingham
I’m an Egyptian student who has never been to any of these cities so I have no idea what life is like in any of them I think I’m gonna eliminate Bristol because it wants a 7 in ib mathematics which I cannot get and also I’m eliminating Birmingham (not feeling it) and I might eliminate Edinburgh because I don’t think I want to spend 4 years on an undergraduate course. That leaves me with Manchester and Leeds. Manchester is a very prestigious university and much higher in world ranking than Leeds but I’m not sure which one is better for economics and does it matter that Manchester is a bachelors of art and Leeds is bachelors of science? Also I care about life in the city in terms of safety, people, things to do and facilities in both universities I legit have no idea Someone please help me it’s like idk what anything is like cause I’ve never seen it and if you have any other opinions about the unis I eliminated let me know. (Oh and I tried to get the ranking in economics but the sources say completely different things)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%