The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Uni

Disclaimer:

I personally don't intend on dropping out unless something serious in my life goes wrong.

However, I would be interested if dropping out after 2nd year with a 2:1 Had any benefit to someone at all?

Could it potentially get you a job or at least a look at on the economy?
Original post by Realitysreflexx

Yes, If your family name used to be battenburg and you have a castle or three available, the odd trust-fund...why study
but some motivated people who HAVE done this: drop out, and do good are those who had a clue about where to go

Steven Paul Jobs, he confessed to attending almost only one useful lecture in his time at university.
What a lecture! - it led to a revolution in society, was taught by an off-duty trappist Monk, Father Robert Palladino.
https://www.businessinsider.com/robert-palladino-calligraphy-class-inspired-steve-jobs-2016-3

Harvard gave "Zuck" an honorary degree twelve years after he quit, to earn a billion or trillion , or everything
https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/7/14847968/facebook-mark-zuckerberg-harvard-commencement-honorary-degree

Another Harvard dropout, William Gates, http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1988080_1988093_1988082,00.html
Tho as I heard it, his mother pushed IBM business in his direction, a bit 'Battenburgish", as she worked at IBM at the time.

that last link Time.com has quite a few other mega-dropouts, but you should also weigh up the merit of potentially sleeping in a shop doorway?
Yep, the only dropouts that became successful were those that started their own businesses. The rest were all stuck in bottom rung jobs where the interviewer wasn't interested in how the degree course went :wink:
Original post by hello_shawn
Yep, the only dropouts that became successful were those that started their own businesses. The rest were all stuck in bottom rung jobs where the interviewer wasn't interested in how the degree course went :wink:

Though in theory, I mean how much more do you really learn in an extra two semesters... You should get some sort of credit lol.

I plan on going straight to masters so no idea why this is crossing my mind.

Guess I'm just trying to see the value year for year of degree.
in many of the courses that I'm looking at , especially Scottish 4-year degrees, the last year tends to be a heavy research project - hardware or weighty research tome - hence the first few years seem to get you ready for this.

A university degree is supposed to teach you how to teach yourself, as in many subjects they admit that 50% of the content that you study is (probably) wrong - but it is not (yet) known which 50%, will be in a few years. As we are in the advent of the life-long learning society, which requires perpetual adaptation of the individual to meet the evolving job challenges, outsmarting the Robots/AI-ML, then if you are ready to go. Take your 120 ECTS of the Bologna process and bank them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by LuigiMario
in many of the courses that I'm looking at , especially Scottish 4-year degrees, the last year tends to be a heavy research project - hardware or weighty research tome - hence the first few years seem to get you ready for this.

A university degree is supposed to teach you how to teach yourself, as in many subjects they admit that 50% of the content that you study is (probably) wrong - but it is not (yet) known which 50%, will be in a few years. As we are in the advent of the life-long learning society, which requires perpetual adaptation of the individual to meet the evolving job challenges, outsmarting the Robots/AI-M, then if you are ready to go. Take your 120 ECTS of the Bologna process and bank them.

The Scottish system is meh, hope your looking at Edinburgh. Obviously there's Alot of things AI can't do yet and won't be able to do affordably for years.

Even Elon stated alot of what Robots.can do humans can still do much more effectively.

Further read an article on CNBC stating 40% of European AI firms just use the buzzword to secure investor funding. Digital transformation isn't nearly as invested in as they make it seem in the media.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/03/06/40-percent-of-ai-start-ups-in-europe-not-related-to-ai-mmc-report.html

However, I would be interested if dropping out after 2nd year with a 2:1 Had any benefit to someone at all?

After 2 years you'd get a Diploma of Higher Education. Employers would probably recognise it as a failed degree.

Though in theory, I mean how much more do you really learn in an extra two semesters... You should get some sort of credit lol.

I plan on going straight to masters so no idea why this is crossing my mind.

Guess I'm just trying to see the value year for year of degree.

Sure, you'd get credits which you could put toward a degree... which you would be doing already...
You'll probably need several years experience before thinking about masters courses.
A lot of the value in a degree is that opens doors to jobs for graduates.
specifically on AI-ML, I've already published two papers which used machine learning tools to examine 'real world things' and derive very much valuable information from. My lead colleague on one of these projects got a signed letter of thanks from EUROPOL in Den Haag. (Sigh, Nice but I think he would've liked ca$h, or a job) The other object of my research, my idea this time, was a 55" 3D Samsung TV set, what could I possibly throw AI at that for?

Musk is OK, I tested his tesla S in my laboratory recently, with Thermal IR systems to anylyse the super-charging, and it was good.
He really did a wonder with his South Australian 12 minute battery. Ignore the twitter stuff

And back to AI-ML, as most of my ML work could have been calculated by using 12 minutes rental of the whole Amazon elastic cloud, it is very much better than what humans can do, for the price and accuracy that humans cost. There still (currently, thankfully) remain many jobs for us on the planet, but tomorrow? (decades actually, but soon)
Original post by Duncan2012
After 2 years you'd get a Diploma of Higher Education. Employers would probably recognise it as a failed degree.

Sure, you'd get credits which you could put toward a degree... which you would be doing already...
You'll probably need several years experience before thinking about masters courses.
A lot of the value in a degree is that opens doors to jobs for graduates.

Coooool.
Original post by LuigiMario
specifically on AI-ML, I've already published two papers which used machine learning tools to examine 'real world things' and derive very much valuable information from. My lead colleague on one of these projects got a signed letter of thanks from EUROPOL in Den Haag. (Sigh, Nice but I think he would've liked ca$h, or a job) The other object of my research, my idea this time, was a 55" 3D Samsung TV set, what could I possibly throw AI at that for?

Musk is OK, I tested his tesla S in my laboratory recently, with Thermal IR systems to anylyse the super-charging, and it was good.
He really did a wonder with his South Australian 12 minute battery. Ignore the twitter stuff

And back to AI-ML, as most of my ML work could have been calculated by using 12 minutes rental of the whole Amazon elastic cloud, it is very much better than what humans can do, for the price and accuracy that humans cost. There still (currently, thankfully) remain many jobs for us on the planet, but tomorrow? (decades actually, but soon)

It looks like YOU will go far...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending