Singapore unis ranked ridiculously high? Watch

Thar Linn Htet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
How come NUS and NTU are ranked so damn high in league tables even when their undergrad teaching is known to be horrible? With their current reputation, I'd rather do my undergrad degree at Sheffield.

A friend of mine who lives in Singapore said they don't even do their research in Singapore lol. Not sure if he's true tho.
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Thar Linn Htet)
How come NUS and NTU are ranked so damn high in league tables even when their undergrad teaching is known to be horrible? With their current reputation, I'd rather do my undergrad degree at Sheffield.

A friend of mine who lives in Singapore said they don't even do their research in Singapore lol. Not sure if he's true tho.
:hi: Moved your thread over to International Study
Did you use to study there? :gasp:
Thar Linn Htet
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
:hi: Moved your thread over to International Study
Did you use to study there? :gasp:
No but whenever I see someone asking about NTU or NUS on quora, i.e. if they are good, nearly every reply literally says that the teaching is horrible. Some of them even state that the reason they are ranked extremely high is because they call in professors who can write **** tons of research papers.
kenryou
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I work in one of the university as a research staff. I cannot comment on the teaching quality as I am not a graduate there.

You are right about high research output. The schools hire almost in a weekly basis and I see that there are more researchers compared to any elite research lab. This is no secret as almost all elite universities hire foreign talents to increase quality research output. However, universities in Singapore have a higher headcount. Why? Because the country is small each universities take in more researchers than the other big countries.
(Original post by Thar Linn Htet)

If you plan to work internationally, the prestige of the university outweighs the teaching quality.

For the latter statement, it depends whether the topic of your research interest is available in the country. You must understand that Singapore is a small nation. All the research done are relevant to benefit the country, hence, the government has poured in a lot of money compared to other countries.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.68%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (191)
29.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed