The Student Room Group

A-level Psychology Study Group

hi guys! thought i'd set this up and hope that there's a good few of you doing a-level psychology:wink:

so as usual, a few icebreakers:
what exam board are you on?
what part of psychology have you enjoyed the most so far and why?
any bits of the subject you haven't enjoyed as much; why?
why did you pick psychology?
what are your other subject choices?
tell me one fun fact about yourself:jive:
what options are you doing for paper 3?

specs:

Spoiler

good resources:

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AQA
Biopsychology as it is the most easy to remember in terms of strategic cause and effect.
Didn't enjoy eating behaviour/relationships as they had little to no real grounding. Mostly just hypothesis with vaguely supporting research.
As an extension from GCSE which I enjoyed.
Biology and physics
Original post by THS2018
AQA
Biopsychology as it is the most easy to remember in terms of strategic cause and effect.
Didn't enjoy eating behaviour/relationships as they had little to no real grounding. Mostly just hypothesis with vaguely supporting research.
As an extension from GCSE which I enjoyed.
Biology and physics

i'm on aqa too:awesome:
currently doing psychopathology so there's a bit of biology in there but i'm finding it pretty interesting:yep:
i presume you're in year 13 if you've done eating behaviours?:ninja:
YEAR 12 AQA

want to do economics but i like behavioural economics so i thought i might as well study psychology

panicking about how much content there is and how i forget everything after a week
Reply 4
Original post by entertainmyfaith
i'm on aqa too:awesome:
currently doing psychopathology so there's a bit of biology in there but i'm finding it pretty interesting:yep:
i presume you're in year 13 if you've done eating behaviours?:ninja:

Yep year 13, last couple of months till exams. How are you finding psychopathology. Guessing you are on OCD if it's the biological treatments you are on. How are you finding the content?
I'm in year 13
AQA
I enjoy Paper 1, Approaches and Issues
I hate Biospschology and RMs
If any year 13 psych students want to join my WhatsApp gc heres the link

https://chat.whatsapp.com/ER4r4e0biC7LCPnNuXfly4
Original post by Presence
YEAR 12 AQA

want to do economics but i like behavioural economics so i thought i might as well study psychology

panicking about how much content there is and how i forget everything after a week

best of luck you'll smash it :hugs:
Original post by THS2018
Yep year 13, last couple of months till exams. How are you finding psychopathology. Guessing you are on OCD if it's the biological treatments you are on. How are you finding the content?

psychopathology's been alright tbh:yep: think i prefer it to attachments
content generally has been fine, just a lot to remember but have been performing well in my assessments:smile:
Original post by *Alisha*
I'm in year 13
AQA
I enjoy Paper 1, Approaches and Issues
I hate Biospschology and RMs
If any year 13 psych students want to join my WhatsApp gc heres the link

https://chat.whatsapp.com/ER4r4e0biC7LCPnNuXfly4

best of luck:rave:
am looking forward to approaches :smile:
hi guys! thought i'd set this up and hope that there's a good few of you doing a-level psychology:wink:

aqa, currently year 12
really liked memory as i found it interesting:yes:
nothing as so far- research methods has been a bit dry though
hoping to do psychology at uni:gah:
also doing maths and english literature
uh i'm half french and half chinese :awesome:
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey im in yr 13 doing aqa too
So far ive really enjoyed topics like memory and biopsychology, theyre really interesting
I havent been enjoying aggression, its soooo long and tedious and concepts are difficult to remember
Other subjects i do are socio and maths

What are the three options you decided to do?
im doing cognitive development, aggression and schizophrenia

specs:

Spoiler

good resources:

Spoiler

Psychology is easily my favourite subject! :biggrin: I chose it because I've always been interested in human behaviour and disorders and was considering a career path in forensic psychology when I was younger (after watching way too many crime shows lol).
I think I'm on OCR and my favourite parts have been the Social and biological case studies, along with mental health and forensics for the applied section (it's hard to choose just one area whoops). Least favourite topic was probably research methods as I suck at remembering scientific methods and stat tests.
I also take biology and fine art, although I wish I'd chosen chemistry or sociology instead of art haha.

specs:

Spoiler

good resources:

Spoiler

Original post by StarxScreamx
Hey im in yr 13 doing aqa too
So far ive really enjoyed topics like memory and biopsychology, theyre really interesting
I havent been enjoying aggression, its soooo long and tedious and concepts are difficult to remember
Other subjects i do are socio and maths

What are the three options you decided to do?
im doing cognitive development, aggression and schizophrenia

i loved memory:gah:
we're doing relationships, forensic psychology and relationships methinks
what are you planning to do at uni?
Original post by medicmae
Psychology is easily my favourite subject! :biggrin: I chose it because I've always been interested in human behaviour and disorders and was considering a career path in forensic psychology when I was younger (after watching way too many crime shows lol).
I think I'm on OCR and my favourite parts have been the Social and biological case studies, along with mental health and forensics for the applied section (it's hard to choose just one area whoops). Least favourite topic was probably research methods as I suck at remembering scientific methods and stat tests.
I also take biology and fine art, although I wish I'd chosen chemistry or sociology instead of art haha.

that's an interesting mix of subjects :redface:
human behaviour's very interesting:yep:
Ooh those are interesting topics as your options, especially forensic psychology however there is a lot of content to it.

For uni, ive applied to law with criminology because i have a keen interest in crime in general. However, i really enjoy psychology a level so might even change my course, its still a continuous internal debate im having lol

What are you planning to become, career wise?

i loved memory:gah:
we're doing relationships, forensic psychology and relationships methinks
what are you planning to do at uni?

that's an interesting mix of subjects :redface:
human behaviour's very interesting:yep:
Great thread! I did OCR and got an A* so if anyone has any questions about the spec or revision techniques etc feel free to ask
Ooh those are interesting topics as your options, especially forensic psychology however there is a lot of content to it.

For uni, ive applied to law with criminology because i have a keen interest in crime in general. However, i really enjoy psychology a level so might even change my course, its still a continuous internal debate im having lol

What are you planning to become, career wise?

ugh man:hide:
ooh sounds interesting:gah:
i'm hoping to do a psychology degree and then after i'm not entirely sure- either mh nursing, clinical psychology (though it's stupidly competitive), therapy or something like marketing, though options aren't set in stone yet:laugh:
What do i need to focus on specifically to obtain top marks??
Original post by DrawTheLine
Great thread! I did OCR and got an A* so if anyone has any questions about the spec or revision techniques etc feel free to ask

ugh man:hide:
ooh sounds interesting:gah:
i'm hoping to do a psychology degree and then after i'm not entirely sure- either mh nursing, clinical psychology (though it's stupidly competitive), therapy or something like marketing, though options aren't set in stone yet:laugh:

Yeah thats why im a bit skeptical in studying psychology, not sure what careers to pursue in around it haha
Do you have any specific uni you have in mind that you want to go to?

Yeah thats why im a bit skeptical in studying psychology, not sure what careers to pursue in around it haha
Do you have any specific uni you have in mind that you want to go to?

so far am considering st andrews, cardiff, bham, manchester n not too sure about my fifth one yet

Exam technique is really important. Make sure you know exactly what you need to include to get the marks. The mark scheme is like a checklist. If you include xyz then you'll just collect the marks easily.

Also you need to remember your research. Include the main studies you get taught about but then also 1 or 2 smaller studies you can use as further evidence.
How did you revise before exams, what was ur revision timetable like?
Original post by DrawTheLine
Exam technique is really important. Make sure you know exactly what you need to include to get the marks. The mark scheme is like a checklist. If you include xyz then you'll just collect the marks easily.

Also you need to remember your research. Include the main studies you get taught about but then also 1 or 2 smaller studies you can use as further evidence.

so far am considering st andrews, cardiff, bham, manchester n not too sure about my fifth one yet

what other subjects do you do in a level?

I did a day for each subject. E.g. Monday was psychology, Tuesday was biology etc. Obviously when it actually got to doing the exams I revised for whichever exam was next.

what other subjects do you do in a level?

english lit and maths

Quick Reply