Detective Constable, DAY 2 Assessment. How can I prepare? What to expect? Watch

cyclomania
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
There are general practice ones online. I remember signing up for free to some site where you could practise. The met uses general ones, so not police specific.
JaneAnnie1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi Karolinaz, Well done on getting through. Can I ask what day 3 consists of ? We've been told day 2 is medical, fitness and vetting and that if we pass that TDC's will go on to day 3 which involves critical analysis but that's all I know.
cyclomania
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by JaneAnnie1)
Hi Karolinaz, Well done on getting through. Can I ask what day 3 consists of ? We've been told day 2 is medical, fitness and vetting and that if we pass that TDC's will go on to day 3 which involves critical analysis but that's all I know.
It will be an in-tray exercise, a briefing and an interview (similar to that on day one but longer)
JPson77
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Why am I not seeing any mention of a Day 3 assessment on any of the police recruitment website, nor in any of the emails. Where did any of you get this information?
cyclomania
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by JPson77)
Why am I not seeing any mention of a Day 3 assessment on any of the police recruitment website, nor in any of the emails. Where did any of you get this information?
They possibly just call it detective assessment. That's on the website and should be in your emails too. That's what you get invited to once you pass the verbal reasoning test.
JPson77
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by cyclomania)
They possibly just call it detective assessment. That's on the website and should be in your emails too. That's what you get invited to once you pass the verbal reasoning test.
Thanks for your quick response. I was invited to partake in a health assessment after I passed my online verbal reasoning test. Maybe they’ve changed the order.
cyclomania
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks for your quick response. I was invited to partake in a health assessment after I passed my online verbal reasoning test. Maybe they’ve changed the order.
That is sort of parallel ton it but you should get an invite to the detective assessment top. If not, make sure to call recruitment and chase!
karolinaz96
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Because they dont want people to know what its about? Day 3 info is on here.
karolinaz96
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
INTERVIEW: the interview is the same as day one but it lasts 50 minutes.. so you need to really be ready with your examples and in depth answers! Remember to learn the Met values! Check the internet what the met stands for, their values and make sure you are confident in it.

INTRAY: the intray is 90 minutes long. Imagine its your first day at work and you get loads of emails and letters and tasks to do.. you need to prioritise all of them and write down what youre going to do and why.. is anything connected? Are the roads the same? Can you handle 3 tasks at once? Etc. Make sure you practice, you can find like 2 tests online. The real one goes by really fast so GET ON WITH IT straight away, make 3 piles on your table as you go along - important/medium/low importance..

PRESENTATION: the easiest bit! Once you do your itray, you have to go to your “boss” and talk to him about what you just wrote, he might ask you questions as to why or what or who with u will do it.. its easy no need to learn anything.

(Original post by JaneAnnie1)
JPson77
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thanks for the detailed reply and what the assessment will be about. Should be a simple task as that’s the kind of work I’m doing at the moment anyway. Juggling 4/5 tasks at once (not to mention colleagues approaching me asking silly questions), sorting out the priorities, and explaining to my line manager why I’ve done what I’ve done so I stay out of trouble and guidance, of course. But I’ll never take anything with a pinch of salt.
(Original post by karolinaz96)
INTERVIEW: the interview is the same as day one but it lasts 50 minutes.. so you need to really be ready with your examples and in depth answers! Remember to learn the Met values! Check the internet what the met stands for, their values and make sure you are confident in it.

INTRAY: the intray is 90 minutes long. Imagine its your first day at work and you get loads of emails and letters and tasks to do.. you need to prioritise all of them and write down what youre going to do and why.. is anything connected? Are the roads the same? Can you handle 3 tasks at once? Etc. Make sure you practice, you can find like 2 tests online. The real one goes by really fast so GET ON WITH IT straight away, make 3 piles on your table as you go along - important/medium/low importance..

PRESENTATION: the easiest bit! Once you do your itray, you have to go to your “boss” and talk to him about what you just wrote, he might ask you questions as to why or what or who with u will do it.. its easy no need to learn anything.

Thanks for the detailed reply and what the assessment will be about.

Should be a simple task as that’s the kind of work I’m doing at the moment anyway. Juggling 4/5 tasks at once (not to mention colleagues approaching me asking silly questions), sorting out the priorities, and explaining to my line manager why I’ve done what I’ve done so I stay out of trouble and guidance, of course.

But I’ll never take anything with a pinch of salt.
JaneAnnie1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by karolinaz96)

Thanks Karolinaz, that's really helpful
So23
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi guys, I did my medical and fitness assessment on 26th July 2019. Its been 10 weeks since and haven't had anything back. I called them few times and they said they are waiting for dates for day 3. Is anyone in same situation or knows more than what I do? Please help
Eposdog
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The process is rather flawed and takes a long time. Often the people you are speaking to just don’t know the answers.
They will be waiting for the Met to give them dates. You will then attend, pass and then be put into another pool of candidates waiting for Met to give them start dates (or turn around and say they have enough people for that years intake, which happened to a load of us this year)

There are only two things you can do - keep calling them and hope they give you a date or switch to pc. Going the pc route, you could be in training feb/mar. Waiting on the dc route, you could be waiting far far longer.
So23
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Eposdog)
The process is rather flawed and takes a long time. Often the people you are speaking to just don’t know the answers.
They will be waiting for the Met to give them dates. You will then attend, pass and then be put into another pool of candidates waiting for Met to give them start dates (or turn around and say they have enough people for that years intake, which happened to a load of us this year)

There are only two things you can do - keep calling them and hope they give you a date or switch to pc. Going the pc route, you could be in training feb/mar. Waiting on the dc route, you could be waiting far far longer.
Thank you for your response, I will call them tomorrow. Applied in May and was expecting to start by October but its very unlikely
cyclomania
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by So23)
Thank you for your response, I will call them tomorrow. Applied in May and was expecting to start by October but its very unlikely
On average you'll be looking at a year give or take from application to starting. Unless they run out of places for that year, then it might be longer. It's unlikely to be significantly under 1 year, it's been 11.5 months for me and I know that's about average from speaking to others.
Eposdog
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Sorry, that was never going to happen. I passed day 3 in May and was only recently offered January. There’s another thread on here that will give you an idea of what’s happened with the recruitment.

This years intake is full, next year had dates for January, February and March. I don’t know if there are any after that. Allow for another 6 months at least, but who knows with recruitment, could be 12!
So23
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
So frustrating! I am so looking forward to work for Met police but delays are killing me 🙄
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Routine intensive interrogation, you have no rights in this matter!
Rafi11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I am awaiting news of a day 3. I started my application in January and recruitment are no help whatsoever. Each member of staff tells you a different story. I thought maybe it would be an idea to contact the met directly and ask for more information instead of the recruitment company they hire but I am unsure on who to contact at the met regarding the matter?
cyclomania
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Rafi11)
I am awaiting news of a day 3. I started my application in January and recruitment are no help whatsoever. Each member of staff tells you a different story. I thought maybe it would be an idea to contact the met directly and ask for more information instead of the recruitment company they hire but I am unsure on who to contact at the met regarding the matter?
There is no contact with the met directly, unfortunately. We've all been through this. All you can so is call and call again. Keep chasing them and don't trust they will update you. It's super frustrating, I know. I wish there was a better advice than this, but there isn't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (214)
52.97%
No (190)
47.03%

Watched Threads