Stirling or Dundee? Watch

aronofskygal
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I'm sat here with relatively attainable conditions from both Stirling and Dundee, and I was wondering.. what university or city/town has the best..

- Student life
- Accommodation
- Things to do
- Nightlife

Could anyone weigh anything in, here? I'm at a loss. I've visited Stirling and it just seems so out of the way - I'm a girl from the country so I'd like to experience some form of city life..
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
aronofskygal
Rep:
?
Oh, and flexibility is a biggie for me!
LuigiMario
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Dundee has a reputation of a "student" city, whatever that is.
As for flexibility, I read the autobiography of a student of Dundee who never attended a single lecture, from day one (he had his own ideas),
he did present for the final exams and scored a first. (years later he became Rector of the University of Dundee, serving for 3 year or so in that position of honour) I think now that you don't need to be that extreme, unless you feel the need, but they do specifically have their "Liberal Arts" path where you can combine your interests, English , French whatever with many other wider modules. They also have received TEF certificate No. 10007852 University of Dundee assessed as "Gold" in June 2017 (teaching excellence framework = student survey etc) you don't get better than that!

Stirling is a beautiful campus, in a smallish town, where you'd also have a great time. I can't find any teaching excellence framework data for either 2017 or 2018 for Stirling
swelshie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's like asking if you want to be shot in the arm or the leg... :P Glasgow or Edinburgh if city living is of importance to you.

Although Stirling has the best (lowest) cost of living of all university cities across the UK.
aronofskygal
Rep:
?
(Original post by swelshie)
That's like asking if you want to be shot in the arm or the leg... :P Glasgow or Edinburgh if city living is of importance to you.

Although Stirling has the best (lowest) cost of living of all university cities across the UK.
I didn't apply to any of those, hence why I'm asking for the best out of both Stirling and Dundee...
aronofskygal
Rep:
?
bump
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aronofskygal)
So I'm sat here with relatively attainable conditions from both Stirling and Dundee, and I was wondering.. what university or city/town has the best..

- Student life
- Accommodation
- Things to do
- Nightlife

Could anyone weigh anything in, here? I'm at a loss. I've visited Stirling and it just seems so out of the way - I'm a girl from the country so I'd like to experience some form of city life..
Hi there! I'm currently studying in Dundee so I can provide some insights on this

-Student Life
Dundee has two universities, the University of Dundee and Abertay Dundee. As I'm studying at UoD I can only comment on that but I'm in my first year and so far it has been great! The UoD regularly comes top in Scotland for student satisfaction and we have an outstanding SU with loads of societies to join! We even have a skydiving society! The Union regularly has events on with cheap drinks (Skint) so you shouldn't have any problems there!

-Accommodation
You shouldn't have any problem finding affordable accommodation in Dundee, it's probably one of the cheapest cities I've lived in

-Things to do
Provided you get involved with the societies you should find plenty to do in and around Dundee. The city itself has the V&A exhibition (if you're into art) and various other arty things. Like any other city you find your own entertainment. Edinburgh is an hour and a half away by train also if you get bored

Dundee's main strengths lie in its biological sciences and medicine departments in which it comes in the Top 10 in the UK for. I'm not sure about Stirling or if you're studying any other subject

-Career prospects
Like any other course at any other university your career and degree is what you make out of it. I must say though that unlike another university I have attended we constantly have summer internships and voluntary work being advertised to us even in first year.

-Nightlife
Not really an area I can comment on but aforementioned SU and Skint should cover most of what you need. There are a few gay bars around town. various pubs and a few nightclubs.

I hope this helps somewhat
aronofskygal
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Hi there! I'm currently studying in Dundee so I can provide some insights on this

-Student Life
Dundee has two universities, the University of Dundee and Abertay Dundee. As I'm studying at UoD I can only comment on that but I'm in my first year and so far it has been great! The UoD regularly comes top in Scotland for student satisfaction and we have an outstanding SU with loads of societies to join! We even have a skydiving society! The Union regularly has events on with cheap drinks (Skint) so you shouldn't have any problems there!

-Accommodation
You shouldn't have any problem finding affordable accommodation in Dundee, it's probably one of the cheapest cities I've lived in

-Things to do
Provided you get involved with the societies you should find plenty to do in and around Dundee. The city itself has the V&A exhibition (if you're into art) and various other arty things. Like any other city you find your own entertainment. Edinburgh is an hour and a half away by train also if you get bored

Dundee's main strengths lie in its biological sciences and medicine departments in which it comes in the Top 10 in the UK for. I'm not sure about Stirling or if you're studying any other subject

-Career prospects
Like any other course at any other university your career and degree is what you make out of it. I must say though that unlike another university I have attended we constantly have summer internships and voluntary work being advertised to us even in first year.

-Nightlife
Not really an area I can comment on but aforementioned SU and Skint should cover most of what you need. There are a few gay bars around town. various pubs and a few nightclubs.

I hope this helps somewhat
Hi! Thank you so much for your response.. I just have a few more questions. I've applied for the MA in English if that helps!

- Why did you choose Dundee, personally? What about it appealed to you?

- I live quite a fair distance from Dundee, and I'd like to bring my car... is it possible for first years to obtain parking permits or would I have to find somewhere close by to park it?

- I've heard snippets about the SU and how it has five floors but.. what does it actually contain?

Thank you so much!!
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aronofskygal)
Hi! Thank you so much for your response.. I just have a few more questions. I've applied for the MA in English if that helps!

- Why did you choose Dundee, personally? What about it appealed to you?

- I live quite a fair distance from Dundee, and I'd like to bring my car... is it possible for first years to obtain parking permits or would I have to find somewhere close by to park it?

- I've heard snippets about the SU and how it has five floors but.. what does it actually contain?

Thank you so much!!
Hey thanks for getting back to me

-I chose Dundee as I wanted to move away from northern England to Scotland and Dundee has a good reputation in life sciences. It is the best choice for me with my situation

-As I don’t drive I’m unsure about this. Most other universities bar Oxbridge allow students to have cars so I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t. This page should help you: https://www.buyat.dundee.ac.uk/produ...arking-permits

-The SU contains various things including a bar, a nightclub, a few shops, a swimming pool amongst other things.

Hope this helps
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
this website suggests that people read widely, when choosing, and check the source of the info

https://www.studentcrowd.com/univers..._dundee-dundee

they seem to like Dundee, and I eventually found Stirling on the list too (no.53 was it)
but were the 15000 students questioned after a few bevvies?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed