Harris Westminster September 2019 conditional offer holders. Watch

ribbby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey everyone, I thought I'd make this thread seeing as most people have got their letters back by now.

It'd be great to get to know people beforehand as we're coming from so many different schools and areas! Also these were taken from a thread made last year, so thanks for whoever made that.

If you'd like to these in it'd be cool, cheers.

Name:
Test + interview score:
Age/birthday:
Interests:
Other places applied to:
Any societies/clubs you're considering joining:

Looking forward to hopefully seeing you all next year!
ribbby
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Name: Erin
Subjects studying: English Literature, Philosophy, Theology and Ethics, History, and Politics
Test + interview score: 567 (448+119)
Age/birthday: 16, 11.03.2003
Interests: Current affairs, Oscar Wilde, The smiths, debating, religion
Other places applied to: Tiffin Boys sixth form, Heathlands school, reach academy.
Any societies/clubs you're considering joining: Debate society (of course haha), latin for beginners, the rose possibly
What?!?
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Happy birthday
(Original post by ribbby)
Subjects studying: English Literature, Philosophy, Theology and Ethics, History, and Politics
Other places applied to: Tiffin Boys sixth form, Heathlands school, reach academy.
Any societies/clubs you're considering joining: Debate society (of course haha), latin for beginners, the rose possibly
Athenaxx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Name: Athena/A...
Subjects studying: Biology, Chemistry, English Lit... Core maths? They changed me from drama/history to core maths cos im doing 2 sciences...but no way am I going to do btec maths... so hopefully I can change that...
Test + interview score: 542
Age/birthday: 16 (virgo)
Interests: Poetry, Music (Jazz), Pole dancing/Stripping/Burlesque, Modelling, Fashion, Hair and beauty, reading, ACTING (I love the spotlight).
Other places applied to: Twyford Chruch of England.
Any societies/clubs you're considering joining: Any drama or music clubs, or something regarding science?
Muncus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Athenaxx)
Name: Athena/A...
Subjects studying: Biology, Chemistry, English Lit... Core maths? They changed me from drama/history to core maths cos im doing 2 sciences...but no way am I going to do btec maths... so hopefully I can change that...
Test + interview score: 542
Age/birthday: 16 (virgo)
Interests: Poetry, Music (Jazz), Pole dancing/Stripping/Burlesque, Modelling, Fashion, Hair and beauty, reading, ACTING (I love the spotlight).
Other places applied to: Twyford Chruch of England.
Any societies/clubs you're considering joining: Any drama or music clubs, or something regarding science?
Don't come to Harris. You'll realise why if you do end up coming here. Go to Twyford instead, you'll thank me later
rxdiyah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Muncus)
Don't come to Harris. You'll realise why if you do end up coming here. Go to Twyford instead, you'll thank me later
why whats wrong with harris
/JR/
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I go to Harris rn AMA if you’re having doubts or just interested
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Soybob
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
why do so many pupils who go there dislike it so much?
(Original post by /JR/)
I go to Harris rn AMA if you’re having doubts or just interested
/JR/
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Soybob)
why do so many pupils who go there dislike it so much?
Because it’s not your typical sixth form experience; it’s designed to be as intensive as possible as everyone does 4 a levels so days are quite long compared to other sixth forms. It’s really crucial that you pick subjects u enjoy otherwise you will find Harris hell on earth- I do humanities so I can only speak from experience for that but the workload isn’t as giant as people say it is- I’ll get lots of work, but it’s rarely ever time consuming or essays- just small bits mostly.
Soybob
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
would you say they work they give you is helpful ?
(Original post by /JR/)
Because it’s not your typical sixth form experience; it’s designed to be as intensive as possible as everyone does 4 a levels so days are quite long compared to other sixth forms. It’s really crucial that you pick subjects u enjoy otherwise you will find Harris hell on earth- I do humanities so I can only speak from experience for that but the workload isn’t as giant as people say it is- I’ll get lots of work, but it’s rarely ever time consuming or essays- just small bits mostly.
/JR/
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
would you say they work they give you is helpful ?
yeah it pretty much is- much better than having to sit down and write essays all the time
but it’s not like you don’t get essays to do but at most I personally get 1/2 a term in total
for 4 subjects that’s pretty decent
the term homework is light but there’s lot of it
Half term homework is heavy but there’s less of it
so like in half term I have anywhere from 3-4 essays for that week/2 weeks
Last edited by /JR/; 2 months ago
Soybob
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by /JR/)
i have chosen bio, chem, physics and maths which is obviously a tough combo but i’m hesitant to go there as there is such a divided opinion, apparently they do the hardest exam boards and the teachers aren’t helpful. however, some people say they love it and wouldn’t want to go anywhere else. Due to the fact there are schools like lae and brampton that seem to perform better in their results and have a bit more of a positive environment but idk if this is true.
s.m999
Badges: 16
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ribbby)
what’s your conditional offer based on?
/JR/
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i have chosen bio, chem, physics and maths which is obviously a tough combo but i’m hesitant to go there as there is such a divided opinion, apparently they do the hardest exam boards and the teachers aren’t helpful. however, some people say they love it and wouldn’t want to go anywhere else. Due to the fact there are schools like lae and brampton that seem to perform better in their results and have a bit more of a positive environment but idk if this is true.
The school works for a certain kind of a person. A hardworking dedicated student who is willing to read lots will benefit the most from this school, and they do an excellent job of funnelling you into oxbridge. I really don’t know anything about those subjects other than there are some really great teachers and some worse ones; I guess luck of the draw
Soybob
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
are the classes set depending on gcse results or is it mixed ability seeing as the level to get in is so high
(Original post by /JR/)
The school works for a certain kind of a person. A hardworking dedicated student who is willing to read lots will benefit the most from this school, and they do an excellent job of funnelling you into oxbridge. I really don’t know anything about those subjects other than there are some really great teachers and some worse ones; I guess luck of the draw
/JR/
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
are the classes set depending on gcse results or is it mixed ability seeing as the level to get in is so high
Class ability is varied; but since everyone is already smart it’s generally the same standard across all classes
Raee295
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do you think it is worth traveling over an hour to get there ? I got an offer but I live quite far
/JR/
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Raee295)
Do you think it is worth traveling over an hour to get there ? I got an offer but I live quite far
if you’re taking an hour really don’t bother. School doesn’t finish early most days so you’d probably be home 5:30/6ish if you rushed home every day. People in my school who do that honestly look so tired with everything so deffo think about whether u wanna put yourself through that. If u find a faster way I recommend considering it strongly.
HWSF Senate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi everyone, I am part of the Student Senate and would like to clarify a few things about the school.

We finish quite late because we have a few extra things we offer like societies and cultural perspective (for Year 12s) which is added to our timetable. We also have Lab every week where a speaker comes in and talks about scholarly things (we have different themes every week so something for everyone but we encourage everyone to go to broaden their horizon). I have lots of friends who live far away from school yet they get higher grades than me... Distance to school should not deter you from going to a school you want because you can really make it work if you want to.

The classes are random because everyone is as academically capable and there is no hierarchy whatsoever. We get a challenging amount of workload during holidays but we get a longer half term in October. The school does push you to work hard but the reason for that is because the school wants you to do well in your A levels and develop you as a scholar. We have a supportive wellbeing service so for example we get weekly emails about welfare outlining how to deal with stress for example. We have a school dog you can walk during lunch. We are also fortunate to have Dr Raj who comes in every week to give a talk about mental wellbeing. We also have Ms White who is an amazing lady and can help you with stressful situations and give you general advice.

I would say a lot of alumnus here talk badly about the school and this is not representative of everyone’s experiences at HWSF. Your experience at hwsf is what you make of it. If you have the ambition and drive to work hard not just to pass exams but to be a scholar, then this school is for you. If you are not stressed about A Levels then you are not being pushed hard enough by your school/teachers. Everyone gets stressed and that’s partly because you need to do well and want to do well. I can guarantee you that the stress will all be worth it when you open those results at the end of your 2 years and get your university offers!

Any questions feel free to ask
Last edited by HWSF Senate; 2 months ago
emily.atk1998
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My brother has offers from Harris Westminster, Reading School and Holland Park. A-Level choices are Bio, Chem, Maths and Eng Lit. Any advise as to which school he should accept? I heard Harris Westminster does well with Oxbridge and has some sort of collaboration with Magdalen College, Oxford. Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (407)
18.64%
The paper was reasonable (1039)
47.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (485)
22.21%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.58%

Watched Threads