The Student Room Group

Veterinary Nurse

Hey, I'm looking at starting this from the start. I have the GCSE's needed, however there a lot of sketchy places to start.
Can anyone recommend a great course to start with and how it would look to progress in this field?
Thanks,
Ellie
Original post by egmary
Hey, I'm looking at starting this from the start. I have the GCSE's needed, however there a lot of sketchy places to start.
Can anyone recommend a great course to start with and how it would look to progress in this field?
Thanks,
Ellie

There are two different ways of training to be a veterinary nurse, the degree route and the diploma route. They are very different but both mean you are a qualified veterinary nurse at the end. Personally I like the diploma route. The RCVS website is the best place to get more information, try this link and explore the links from that page
https://animalowners.rcvs.org.uk/veterinary-careers/i-want-to-be-a-veterinary-nurse/
Reply 2
Thanks! I’ve seen this recently too. I am working at a vets at the moment (only as a receptionist). Do you know if I can do the diploma whilst working, or do I have to be in an apprenticeship whilst studying?
Original post by egmary
Thanks! I’ve seen this recently too. I am working at a vets at the moment (only as a receptionist). Do you know if I can do the diploma whilst working, or do I have to be in an apprenticeship whilst studying?

The best way to do it is while employed as a student vet nurse at a training practice and they will usually fund your college fees and pay you a salary. Often the best way in is by working as a receptionist in a training practice until they have a student nurse vacancy. Does your current practice employ SVNs? If so then make sure they know you would like to train.
Reply 4
Thanks this is really helpful. They don’t know I’m looking to train yet, but they do employ trainees sometimes, maybe annually? So I could let them know prior to next years admittance.
Is there anything I can do in the meantime that can help me prepare/study?
Original post by animalmagic
The best way to do it is while employed as a student vet nurse at a training practice and they will usually fund your college fees and pay you a salary. Often the best way in is by working as a receptionist in a training practice until they have a student nurse vacancy. Does your current practice employ SVNs? If so then make sure they know you would like to train.
Original post by egmary
Thanks this is really helpful. They don’t know I’m looking to train yet, but they do employ trainees sometimes, maybe annually? So I could let them know prior to next years admittance.
Is there anything I can do in the meantime that can help me prepare/study?

I would double check the entry requirements for vet nursing at your local college(s), your practice probably has one in particular that they use already. If you need any additional qualifications then obviously try and get those. Otherwise just try to impress them in your current role, volunteer for any training courses or qualifications that receptionists can do at your practice, and make sure they are aware of your long term career aspirations. If you aren't successful in getting a training position at the practice you work at now, keep an eye out for training vacancies at other local practices. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending