SrA character and suitability Watch

Lawyer105
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I am a paralegal with an lpc and I am looking to commence my period of recognised training within the next 6 months . In 2013 I revived a motoring conviction for driving without insurance , leaving the scene of an accident and failsure to report within 24 hrs. I am aware that I need to disclose this as part of the character and suitability test . This accident was an extremely unfortunate accident that occurred . My car insurance has expired 2 days before the accident but I was unaware , when I had the accident I left the scene in complete shock an in a state of panic. It was completely out of character.. due to my shock I wasn’t able to give the police a full statement until the following day . My license was not revoked I was just issued a fine and 6 penalty points . My current employers are willing to provide me with references I am just not sure how I demonstrate rehabilitation as part of the test , especially considering this incident was completely out of character and I am normally very vigilant with my insurance. Please help
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lawyer105)
Hi, I am a paralegal with an lpc and I am looking to commence my period of recognised training within the next 6 months . In 2013 I revived a motoring conviction for driving without insurance , leaving the scene of an accident and failsure to report within 24 hrs. I am aware that I need to disclose this as part of the character and suitability test . This accident was an extremely unfortunate accident that occurred . My car insurance has expired 2 days before the accident but I was unaware , when I had the accident I left the scene in complete shock an in a state of panic. It was completely out of character.. due to my shock I wasn’t able to give the police a full statement until the following day . My license was not revoked I was just issued a fine and 6 penalty points . My current employers are willing to provide me with references I am just not sure how I demonstrate rehabilitation as part of the test , especially considering this incident was completely out of character and I am normally very vigilant with my insurance. Please help
Presumably you have read the test and the things they consider?
Its been 5/6 years since the conviction. so what have you done since to show you have reformed? You understand the seriousness of your offence and that it wont happen again?
Does your record show convictions for all those three offences?
Did you go on any courses?
Done any voluntary work?
Had any further run ins?
Got other character references?

Your issue is if you have multiple convictions. You need to check your record to see whether you were convicted or not.
Im just a bit bemused if youve had 6 years pass by then you havent prepared for this sooner?
Lawyer105
Rep:
?
I attempted to start the character and suitability test in 2017 and I was advised by an agent that I spoke to that it would be good for me to get a job as a paralegal ( to show that a law firm is willing to put their trust behind me). I have since done that and I have worked their for over a year. I now feel I am ready to apply. I have written my summary of events and requested references from my current and ex employers which they are willing to provide when needed. I have done an enhanced CRB check and 3 convictions appear on my record becaus at the time I did not contest the conviction.

I am just a little nervous to submit my application, I want to make it the best possible to show that the accident define me.. I was a bit concerned because I know how much emphasis the SRA place on rehabilitation and I wanted to ensure I demonstrated this correctly .
Lawyer105
Rep:
?
In addition in answer to your questions

I have a clean license since the accident, and I have done pro bono work not specially relating to the incident but at a county court . I’m not sure if that would be relevant to my rehabilitation
(Original post by Lawyer105)
I attempted to start the character and suitability test in 2017 and I was advised by an agent that I spoke to that it would be good for me to get a job as a paralegal ( to show that a law firm is willing to put their trust behind me). I have since done that and I have worked their for over a year. I now feel I am ready to apply. I have written my summary of events and requested references from my current and ex employers which they are willing to provide when needed. I have done an enhanced CRB check and 3 convictions appear on my record becaus at the time I did not contest the conviction.

I am just a little nervous to submit my application, I want to make it the best possible to show that the accident define me.. I was a bit concerned because I know how much emphasis the SRA place on rehabilitation and I wanted to ensure I demonstrated this correctly .
notreddy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed