The Student Room Group

Are applicant days important?

Okay so I've applied to 5 unis and have received 5 offers for Maths from:
Nottingham
Sussex
Sheffield
Bristol
Southampton

Out of those 5 I am only remotely interested in going to 3/5 of them, Sheffield is the worst at maths out of the 5, and I am from the Bristol area so it'd be too close.

I attended the Nottingham, Sussex and Southampton open days. And with school dominating my life I haven't looked at any information for a couple of weeks, and I know I've missed the Southampton applicant day, I haven't missed Sussex and I may have missed Nottingham.

My mum is shouting the roofs off at me and now i'm really worried, how much do applicant days matter, and are there other opportunities if you've missed them?
Original post by TAEuler
Nottingham
Sussex
Sheffield
Bristol
Southampton

Out of those 5 I am only remotely interested in going to 3/5 of them, Sheffield is the worst at maths out of the 5, and I am from the Bristol area so it'd be too close.

I attended the Nottingham, Sussex and Southampton open days. And with school dominating my life I haven't looked at any information for a couple of weeks, and I know I've missed the Southampton applicant day, I haven't missed Sussex and I may have missed Nottingham.

My mum is shouting the roofs off at me and now i'm really worried, how much do applicant days matter, and are there other opportunities if you've missed them?

You don't have to go to applicant days, and some universities have campus tours and similar events if you miss them.
They are important, it’s a good way to see if the university lives to your expectations. Most unis look good on paper but when you get there you might find you don’t like the area. The teaching style, the overall vibe itself, and the only way to figure it out is to go and visit them in person. I knew when I visited Kent uni, I didn’t like it as much but when I went to sussex I did, I wouldn’t have known that hadn’t I gone to the applicant day
Original post by TAEuler
Nottingham
Sussex
Sheffield
Bristol
Southampton

As you have already visited the 3 you are seriously interested in (at Open days) I wouldn't say it is vital to attend applicant days also. Obviously it is nice to see the unis for a second time in a less hectic environment, but you also need to juggle this with the demands of school work. This is a sensible priority in my opinion, although some people want to visit their Firm choice a second time, just to be sure. But nothing vital happens at applicant days - just another tour of the department and a chance to ask questions etc. As long as there's no interview it won't affect the grades they ask for or anything like that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending