The Student Room Group

Gcse English literature revision tips

Hello I was wondering if you have any revision tips that could help me get a grade 9 in English literature. I am with AQA and studying Macbeth a Christmas carol an inspector calls and the power and conflict poems.
I am using mr bruff on YouTube but it takes me like 2 hours to go over one video as I am making notes so do you have any good ways in which I could get the information that I need but not having it take too long
Also do you also have any useful ways to revise quotes and memorise the information that you need.
Please reply if you have any ideas and Thanks x
Definitely write practise essays and expand!! Ask your teacher for feedback, look at grade 9 analysis exemplars etc. At this point, you should be able to know how to structure your answer. Also, make your answers unique, the examiners probably get bored of reading the same points- relate the texts to modern day (Macbeth, acc and aic are still relevant in this day- explain this and link to the question)
For quotes, quizlet is a brilliant app. You can create your own flashcards with analysis, or if you're lazy like me look at other peoples'
Stacy reay is also somebody you should follow- she posts lots of revision resources as well as on her ig stories she does short rev and brings up interesting points. Whilst Mr bruff is excellent, do look into other english teachers on youtube,one of the videos I had found gave a really brilliant point to use in AIC!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GFRrZIeraQ&t=58s
Original post by tanteseo
Definitely write practise essays and expand!! Ask your teacher for feedback, look at grade 9 analysis exemplars etc. At this point, you should be able to know how to structure your answer. Also, make your answers unique, the examiners probably get bored of reading the same points- relate the texts to modern day (Macbeth, acc and aic are still relevant in this day- explain this and link to the question)
For quotes, quizlet is a brilliant app. You can create your own flashcards with analysis, or if you're lazy like me look at other peoples'
Stacy reay is also somebody you should follow- she posts lots of revision resources as well as on her ig stories she does short rev and brings up interesting points. Whilst Mr bruff is excellent, do look into other english teachers on youtube,one of the videos I had found gave a really brilliant point to use in AIC!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GFRrZIeraQ&t=58s

Thank you for replying! Please could u give an example of what you mean by linking texts to Morden society please :smile:
Reply 3
I’m getting around an 8 in English right now, I usually write quotes on sticky notes and put them in my book so I constantly see them. I ask my teacher for practice papers, she’s marks it and the things I get lower on, she will sit with me and go over it. Other than that I just watch videos of Stacey and Mr bruff. Also, when analysing quotes try to do multiple suggestions as well as include context, a range of punct and a few different effects on the reader.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jeanderson14
Thank you for replying! Please could u give an example of what you mean by linking texts to Morden society please :smile:

The easiest texts to do with this are AIC and ACC since they focus on society but lets take the representation of the poor in ACC for example:
Dickens showcases the struggles of the poor as a reference to the Poor Law etc etc however in today's society this is still relevant as we still have poverty (I just had a acc mock today and I'm struggling to think of an example- sorry!)
In Dec I had a AIC mock and the question was on the representation of gender. I linked the relationship between Eric and Eva to the #MeToo movement as my teacher had mentioned it in class before
Original post by tanteseo
The easiest texts to do with this are AIC and ACC since they focus on society but lets take the representation of the poor in ACC for example:
Dickens showcases the struggles of the poor as a reference to the Poor Law etc etc however in today's society this is still relevant as we still have poverty (I just had a acc mock today and I'm struggling to think of an example- sorry!)
In Dec I had a AIC mock and the question was on the representation of gender. I linked the relationship between Eric and Eva to the #MeToo movement as my teacher had mentioned it in class before

Thank you for your reply, I found this very helpful😀
Original post by Aimee_98
I’m getting around an 8 in English right now, I usually write quotes on sticky notes and put them in my book so I constantly see them. I ask my teacher for practice papers, she’s marks it and the things I get lower on, she will sit with me and go over it. Other than that I just watch videos of Stacey and Mr bruff. Also, when analysing quotes try to do multiple suggestions as well as include context, a range of punct and a few different effects on the reader.

Thank you!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest