Can you die from sleep deprivation and stress?

Watch
Fear-of-failure
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can you die from sleep deprivation and stress? I’m a gcse student and I’m doing 11 GCSEs and 1 A-level outside of school as well as volunteering in my local community and doing both DofE and my silver Arts Award. On bad weekdays I get about 4h 20mins of sleep because I stay up late doing homework and on a good night I get about 6h of sleep. (On weekends I get more sleep). So I was just wondering can you die from sleep deprivation and stress? Just wondering because I read something about people dying in Japan due to overworking.
Last edited by Fear-of-failure; 1 year ago
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes; in Japan it is a well known phenomenon.
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not good for you, put it that way, and long periods of undersleeping can do a lot of damage to a person. Also, while you think you're doing yourself a favour by sleeping less to get more work done, you'd be able to concentrate better and probably be more productive and get your work done quicker if you got more sleep.

Sleep more, I'd suggest.
That'sGreat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fear-of-failure)
Can you die from sleep deprivation and stress? I’m a gcse student and I’m doing 11 GCSEs and 1 A-level outside of school as well as volunteering in my local community and doing both DofE and my silver Arts Award. On bad weekdays I get about 4h 20mins of sleep because I stay up late doing homework and on a good night I get about 6h of sleep. (On weekends I get more sleep). So I was just wondering can you die from sleep deprivation and stress? Just wondering because I read something about people dying in Japan due to overworking.
Lol, you aren’t going to die of sleep deprivation... because you’re sleeping. 6 hours is fine, you’re sleeping on weekends, but why are you only sleeping 4 hours a night on weekdays?

Why are you staying up late doing homework? You’re at GCSE level, homework is nothing at that level, and 1 A level isn’t that bad either. Are you seriously telling me you’re volunteering 3 hours every night or doing arts award every night? No. Stop watching YouTube videos and go to sleep
xx_clove
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know I didn’t start this tread, but since I am in a very similar situation (11 GCSEs, 1 A-level, volunteering but no arts award) and I am also up late every night, I feel like I can relate to the OP. It’s not that I watch YouTube videos, it’s that I take hours perfecting each and every bit of homework I do. I know it’s not necessary, but I want to get good grades and if that takes staying up late, that’s what I’ll do. And considering I have to get up for school at 6:30-6:45, to get a healthy 8 hours of sleep would require me going to sleep at 10:30-10:45. I literally do not have time to do that. I do have it better than OP because I usually get 5-6 hours on a weekday and I lie in on the weekends, but I can see how homework can build up and lead to sleep deprivation without procrastinating.
(Original post by That'sGreat)
Lol, you aren’t going to die of sleep deprivation... because you’re sleeping. 6 hours is fine, you’re sleeping on weekends, but why are you only sleeping 4 hours a night on weekdays?

Why are you staying up late doing homework? You’re at GCSE level, homework is nothing at that level, and 1 A level isn’t that bad either. Are you seriously telling me you’re volunteering 3 hours every night or doing arts award every night? No. Stop watching YouTube videos and go to sleep
ridwan157
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Study smart, not hard. Learn proper revision techniques such as active recall and interval learning and you will do 10x more work in an hour. Not sleeping so you can do work sounds good but you’re essentially borrowing willpower from the next day. Eat healthy, exercise and stay consistent.
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xx_clove)
I know I didn’t start this tread, but since I am in a very similar situation (11 GCSEs, 1 A-level, volunteering but no arts award) and I am also up late every night, I feel like I can relate to the OP. It’s not that I watch YouTube videos, it’s that I take hours perfecting each and every bit of homework I do. I know it’s not necessary, but I want to get good grades and if that takes staying up late, that’s what I’ll do. And considering I have to get up for school at 6:30-6:45, to get a healthy 8 hours of sleep would require me going to sleep at 10:30-10:45. I literally do not have time to do that. I do have it better than OP because I usually get 5-6 hours on a weekday and I lie in on the weekends, but I can see how homework can build up and lead to sleep deprivation without procrastinating.
If you’re spending hours on “perfecting” homework at a GCSE level, I fear you will do terribly in your exams. Homework doesn’t require hours that will result in you finishing very late, you are simply spending an extremely long time on homework that shouldn’t take that long. And 5-6 hours is fine, don’t complain.
xx_clove
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That’s not my point. My point is that I don’t do as many extra-curriculars, and I get 5-6 hours. So with them, it would make sense that they would get about 4 hours. And as for doing terribly in my actual exams, I do fine (a mark or two off 100%) in timed essays at school, I just have a slightly perfectionist attitude and can’t relax knowing that there’s something more I could be doing to my homework. I’m sure OP is aware that they should sleep more, but presumably there’s another factor stopping them and it’s not all the workload.
(Original post by That'sGreat)
If you’re spending hours on “perfecting” homework at a GCSE level, I fear you will do terribly in your exams. Homework doesn’t require hours that will result in you finishing very late, you are simply spending an extremely long time on homework that shouldn’t take that long. And 5-6 hours is fine, don’t complain.
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xx_clove)
That’s not my point. My point is that I don’t do as many extra-curriculars, and I get 5-6 hours. So with them, it would make sense that they would get about 4 hours. And as for doing terribly in my actual exams, I do fine (a mark or two off 100%) in timed essays at school, I just have a slightly perfectionist attitude and can’t relax knowing that there’s something more I could be doing to my homework. I’m sure OP is aware that they should sleep more, but presumably there’s another factor stopping them and it’s not all the workload.
Slightly perfectionist? Spending hours on homework every night (to the point it impacts your sleep) is moronic, especially considering it’s only GCSEs
username4280702
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fear-of-failure)
On bad days you get 4 h20 minutes? That's a good day for me and i've been doing this for a long time dw. :lol: And as you can see not dead (only on the inside)
Last edited by username4280702; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.67%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (83)
27.67%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (115)
38.33%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (39)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.33%

Watched Threads