Why do many suicides not get shown in the news?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
It’s a big deal, so why doesn’t the media pay much attention to it?
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
You're asking why suicides aren't all told on the news?
thrwawy
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
there are about 13 suicides a day bro, its so horrible and under-talked about. its getting more attention though. lots of peoples thoughts are quite divisive on the topic as well.
StBernards
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Publicising suicides may get the subject more attention and may help vulnerable people However, be careful on what is said. Methods of suicide published may lead to copy cat suicides and I assume the government etc will need to think very carefully as to what information is presented to the public
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
They do, but there are just under 6000 suicides a year, so how would you like them to cover it?

Example of suicides in the news recently:

Frontpage News.
Kelly Caitlin- Cyclist commits suicide.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/47531602

Headline News.

Keith Flint. Prodigy front man- suicide by hanging. Been in the news every day and will remain so for weeks to come.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...anging-803020/

Often though the events are very personal and families want privacy.
Last edited by 999tigger; 3 years ago
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Doing an individual report on every single case would be far too time and resource consuming, and just bunging up a little listicle every week all like "this week's suicide victims" would be insensitive. I'd say how they report it now does the job.
(Original post by 999tigger)
Example of suicides in the news recently:
You've put the same same link twice there mate
Trapmoneybenny
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
No one wants to hear about people topping themselves. In case it didn't occur to you, it's a dark topic

Also, search up "suicide contagion" if the news for some reason ran a major about how one person artfully ended their life, people will want to copy that same method.
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Doing an individual report on every single case would be far too time and resource consuming, and just bunging up a little listicle every week all like "this week's suicide victims" would be insensitive. I'd say how they report it now does the job.

You've put the same same link twice there mate
Thanks- clipboard obviously didnt take. the OP made me think, but in the mainstream media there are a steady flow of suicide reports, each one a private tragedy. There was another one last week about a man killing his wife and 2 children before killing himself. Maybe we become a bit desensitised to it, but people killing themselves is regularly in the news.

Not sure we can defeat depression, life going wrong, poverty, broken hearts, relationship breakdowns, illness.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Extensive media coverage of each and every suicide could be extremely distressing for the families involved - I'm sure most would rather grieve in private rather than having every sad or sordid detail splashed across the news for other people's entertainment.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by TheNamesBond.)
You're asking why suicides aren't all told on the news?
Especially in the UK, a girl from my friends college killed herself and I feel like still not enough has been done to prevent this issue or make more people aware.
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Especially in the UK, a girl from my friends college killed herself and I feel like still not enough has been done to prevent this issue or make more people aware.
While that may be true, I don’t think showing all suicides on the news is productive at all, if anything it would cause the family prolonged pain.
doodle_333
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Putting individual suicides on the news isn't the way to do this. Most families won't want it. It can inspire copycats (suicide tends to be contagious anyway). There are far too many.

Of course more needs to be done... but that means more funding for mental health services, training for schools, mental health 1st aid courses etc... not news stories.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (30)
27.27%
Take a gap year (17)
15.45%
Resit my exams (30)
27.27%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (17)
15.45%
I don't know yet (11)
10%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.55%

Watched Threads