Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This is anonymous because I’m so embarrassed and disappointed.
I did my year 12 mocks (a levels) and I got a U in Psychology...half of the marks from the paper came from 16 markers and I messed them all up because I didn’t know what to write and forgot to evaluate. Basically I just panicked. I wasn’t in the best state of mind because I’d just done a 2 hour mock and then not had time to eat properly so I was telling myself I’d fail before I even got into the exam hall. I’d revised for a few weeks before but obviously what I did didn’t work.
The class average was 60 something percent (I think this was a C) and I got about 40. I was planning to do psychology/criminology at uni and now I don’t know what to do or whether to drop it (we have to drop one of our 4 subjects). I feel like an idiot but I got As and Bs in all of the practise questions etc. I don’t think I’ve ever got below a C before.
Please give me advice/try and make me feel better if you can because I feel seriously down and hopeless and I don’t know what to do. I’m not sure if there’s any way I can get a good grade in Psychology anymore and even if I could I’m not sure if I could persuade anyone to let me carry on doing it and drop another subject when so far I’ve got As and Bs in them...
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I did my year 12 mocks (a levels) and I got a U in Psychology...half of the marks from the paper came from 16 markers and I messed them all up because I didn’t know what to write and forgot to evaluate. Basically I just panicked. I wasn’t in the best state of mind because I’d just done a 2 hour mock and then not had time to eat properly so I was telling myself I’d fail before I even got into the exam hall. I’d revised for a few weeks before but obviously what I did didn’t work.
The class average was 60 something percent (I think this was a C) and I got about 40. I was planning to do psychology/criminology at uni and now I don’t know what to do or whether to drop it (we have to drop one of our 4 subjects). I feel like an idiot but I got As and Bs in all of the practise questions etc. I don’t think I’ve ever got below a C before.
Please give me advice/try and make me feel better if you can because I feel seriously down and hopeless and I don’t know what to do. I’m not sure if there’s any way I can get a good grade in Psychology anymore and even if I could I’m not sure if I could persuade anyone to let me carry on doing it and drop another subject when so far I’ve got As and Bs in them...
Honestly for the ones that used to get Us we always thought it was failing with style.

1. ID where you went wrong and compare your answers to the model ones. See where you lost marks.
2. Talk to the teacher.
3. List down all the mistakes you made and then what you should have done.
4. Try the exam paper again. You should score more as you have seen the answer.
5. Check your result.
6. Calm down.
7. Explain to your teacher you will put double work in and then try another couple of exam papers under exam conditions.
8. Get them marked and you should have scored better and recovered some confidence.

No point beating yourself up about it. Just id the problem and sort it.
It was just a mock and you are only year 12.
Its no big deal. As long as you learn from it you will be fine.
Laurenloops
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got an E in my actual biology exam a few years ago, retook it and got a C. Lucky for you, this is just a mock! It doesn't mean you are going to get a U in the actual exam, especially if you are getting good grades previously. You obviously understand the content, it's just a case of revising harder and staying relaxed during the exam. If you want to do psychology at Uni definitely don't drop it, I assume you enjoy it. Everyone has worse exams than others, this should act as a learning experience to motivate you to not make the same mistakes next time Just don't worry too much about it, there are countless stories from people out there who do much better in their actual exams than in their mocks.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I know it doesn't feel great that you got a U in your mock, but at least you still have time to prepare for the real thing. Get some feedback from the exam and assess where you went wrong, and use this to improve for the exam. Try to get in some practice papers or questions too (in mock exam conditions can test your time and organisation skills) and compare to the mark scheme or ask your teacher for feedback if they have time. It is definitely possible to still do well in the real exam, just keep calm and work effectively!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (93)
5%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.1%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (198)
10.64%
Lack of purpose or motivation (262)
14.08%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (82)
4.41%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (107)
5.75%
Loneliness (162)
8.7%
Financial worries (66)
3.55%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (81)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (88)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (102)
5.48%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (164)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (175)
9.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed