Scientist can bring dinosaurs back to life with genetic engineering. Watch

HucktheForde
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
In a potentially terrifying case of life imitating art, the renowned paleontologist who served as the inspiration for Jurassic Park protagonist Dr. Alan Grant is spearheading genetic research that could engineer dinosaurs back into existence within the next five to 10 years, he says.

While Dr. Jack Horner, who has consulted on all four Jurassic films, initially believed the key to recreating the prehistoric creatures lied in working with ancient DNA strands, further study about DNA degradation over time has since ruled out that possibility.

Instead, a group of scientists at Harvard and Yale have turned their eye to -- wait for it -- the modern-day chicken. “Of course, birds are dinosaurs," Horner told People magazine. "So we just need to fix them so they look a little more like a dinosaur."

In an attempt to reverse evolution, the team has already made significant strides in mutating chickens back to the very creatures from which they descended. If that wasn’t enough genetic splicing and dicing, Harvard scientists attempted a similar feat recently by inserting the genes of a woolly mammoth into elephants in order to recreate the extinct beasts. Whoa baby.

If the four major differences between dinosaurs and birds are their tails, arms, hands and mouths, Horner and team have already flipped certain genetic switches in chicken embryos to reverse-engineer a bird’s beak into a dinosaur-like snout.

“Actually, the wings and hands are not as difficult,” Horner said, adding that a ‘Chickensoraus’ -- as he calls the creation -- is well on its way to becoming reality. “The tail is the biggest project. But on the other hand, we have been able to do some things recently that have given us hope that it won't take too long."

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/247402
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by HucktheForde)
In a potentially terrifying case of life imitating art, the renowned paleontologist who served as the inspiration for Jurassic Park protagonist Dr. Alan Grant is spearheading genetic research that could engineer dinosaurs back into existence within the next five to 10 years, he says.

While Dr. Jack Horner, who has consulted on all four Jurassic films, initially believed the key to recreating the prehistoric creatures lied in working with ancient DNA strands, further study about DNA degradation over time has since ruled out that possibility.

Instead, a group of scientists at Harvard and Yale have turned their eye to -- wait for it -- the modern-day chicken. “Of course, birds are dinosaurs," Horner told People magazine. "So we just need to fix them so they look a little more like a dinosaur."

In an attempt to reverse evolution, the team has already made significant strides in mutating chickens back to the very creatures from which they descended. If that wasn’t enough genetic splicing and dicing, Harvard scientists attempted a similar feat recently by inserting the genes of a woolly mammoth into elephants in order to recreate the extinct beasts. Whoa baby.

If the four major differences between dinosaurs and birds are their tails, arms, hands and mouths, Horner and team have already flipped certain genetic switches in chicken embryos to reverse-engineer a bird’s beak into a dinosaur-like snout.

“Actually, the wings and hands are not as difficult,” Horner said, adding that a ‘Chickensoraus’ -- as he calls the creation -- is well on its way to becoming reality. “The tail is the biggest project. But on the other hand, we have been able to do some things recently that have given us hope that it won't take too long."

Don’t care if Jurassic park was real guns would easily kill dinosaurs 👀
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mildhan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by HucktheForde)

But what's the point in making dinosaurs? They've been extinct for a very long time.
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Let's keep them on an island off the coast of South America and make a theme park out of it. What could possibly go wrong?
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just because I can do something doesn’t mean I should.
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Makes good headlines but they won't do it.

Transgenic animal research always proves more complex and difficult in reality than it does on paper, and that is with far simpler examples. This is far too ambitious with current technology.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by garry price)
shut up paul i dont care about your statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Errrr ok here’s some !!!!!!!!!!! Back for you, I had too many donated to me.
Last edited by paul514; 1 week ago
Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wouldn't they suffer the same immunity problems as we would if we were out of our time zone. That said, the blue whale is the largest animal ever so the fact that every dinosaur is smaller isn't as intimidating.
Glitter 321xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Omgg would be so nice to see dinosaurs coming back to life.
ThatOldGuy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Guru Jason)
Wouldn't they suffer the same immunity problems as we would if we were out of our time zone. That said, the blue whale is the largest animal ever so the fact that every dinosaur is smaller isn't as intimidating.
Not any more than any other animal. We aren't time travelling and they aren't going to genetically engineer the bacteria and virii that existed then(Not that we even could) in to their body.
ThatOldGuy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
you use a dumb app paul garry is a better name than paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Paul Garry is definitely not a better name than Paul. Jean-Paul, maybe. Paul Garry? Never.
ThatOldGuy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
that olg guy more like that old idiot
I do hate that olg guy.
:mad:
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ThatOldGuy)
Not any more than any other animal. We aren't time travelling and they aren't going to genetically engineer the bacteria and virii that existed then(Not that we even could) in to their body.
I mean wouldn't the dinosaur suffer from modern day illnesses that aren't around during the day as they don't have the immune system unless we update them?
ThatOldGuy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Guru Jason)
I mean wouldn't the dinosaur suffer from modern day illnesses that aren't around during the day as they don't have the immune system unless we update them?
They are just chickens that have been given dinosaur forms. We have no idea what the actual immune system of a dinosaur would be, nor any way of recreating it.

Their immune system might have been two angry tiny Irishmen boxing germs in to submission for all we know. All we have are rocks in the shape of bones left of them and definitely not any of the fleshy bits.
Glitter 321xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i ate a cat
Great how did it taste?
ThatOldGuy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
you are a idiot you stupid old man
That hurts my feelings, Garry. Did you say that because you're upset your name isn't Jean-Paul, or Paul Garry?

Because I still think Jean-Paul is a better name than Paul.
ThatOldGuy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i meant to say garry is a better nam ythan paul you dumb idiot
I'm sorry Paul Garry. Can you forgive me my trespass? You are and always will be my favourite of all the Paul Garrys. Or Jean-Pauls, but that's just me projecting because I think Jean-Paul is a better name than Paul Garry.
Libtardian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I thought the dinosaurs lived in the HoL?
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ThatOldGuy)
They are just chickens that have been given dinosaur forms. We have no idea what the actual immune system of a dinosaur would be, nor any way of recreating it.

Their immune system might have been two angry tiny Irishmen boxing germs in to submission for all we know. All we have are rocks in the shape of bones left of them and definitely not any of the fleshy bits.
I suppose i just had the idea in my head of resurrecting dinos from old fossils or amber, sort of Pokemon style lol.
Glitter 321xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
get offf this website kid!!1
Well u did say u ate a cat
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads