The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Use BIDMAS

Indices come before subtraction, so you do 4^2 first and then the minus.
Okay op,
let's say you had the expression
2xx2 2x-x^2

By your reasoning, this is equal to 2x+x2 2x+x^2 ?
the question IS vague...
-4 <---- do u read that as -(4) or (-4) ?
obviously its (-4)
but yeh, there are two possibilities to that question...i'd just say its 16 tho
musicmobile
Is this GCSE or Alevel?

What? Neither. This is basic arithmetic. I was taught this when I was 11. This is why I'm so insulted at everyone giving the wrong bloody answer again and again.
depends where ur using this too...
but i think the OP now knows that it just depends where the negative sign is placed =)
If GCSE id say -(4^2)
If alevel id say (-4)^2

At alevel they assume you know that!
depends where ur using this too...
but i think the OP now knows that it just depends where the negative sign is placed =)
musicmobile
If GCSE id say -(4^2)
If alevel id say (-4)^2

Stop being an idiot.
ILoveCalpol
It is 16. With or without brackets. If you leave out brackets and put it in a calculator then it squares 2 and puts the negative sign at the front, rather than squaring -2. Then brackets don't change the question/answer, they're just needed to make sure the calculator does the correct process.

You are going to confuse the op further. Please read the rest of page 1.
generalebriety
What? Neither. This is basic arithmetic. I was taught this when I was 11. This is why I'm so insulted at everyone giving the wrong bloody answer again and again.

Yes but the answer depends on the level at which its asked.
ILoveCalpol
It is 16. With or without brackets. If you leave out brackets and put it in a calculator then it squares 2 and puts the negative sign at the front, rather than squaring -2. Then brackets don't change the question/answer, they're just needed to make sure the calculator does the correct process.

...uh, no.

(-4)^2, you square what ever's in the brackets.... Which = 16.

-4^2, you do the index first, then the minus, which = -16.

BIDMAS BIDMAS BIDMAS!
musicmobile
If GCSE id say -(4^2)
If alevel id say (-4)^2

Arithmetic doesn't change depending on which level you're doing it at.
generalebriety
Stop being an idiot.

How is that being an idiot!
Reply 33
musicmobile
Is this GCSE or Alevel?

he goes to oxford brooks
Reply 34
musicmobile
If GCSE id say -(4^2)
If alevel id say (-4)^2

LOL, at whatever level you are at, that, BASIC question will always give the same answer, -16
Maths is built on very basic rules, what you learn at 5 is true at 55. This is not chemistry!!!!!
EvenStevens
...uh, no.

(-4)^2, you square what ever's in the brackets.... Which = 16.

-4^2, you do the index first, then the minus, which = -16.

BIDMAS BIDMAS BIDMAS!

AGREED!
(-4)^2 = 16
-(4^2) = -16!
JUST DEPENDS HOW THE QUESTION IS ASKED...
and yeh, I'd assume the majority of the population on this thread would know this at the age of 11 :rolleyes:
musicmobile
Yes but the answer depends on the level at which its asked.

musicmobile
How is that being an idiot!

You're being a complete moron. You're deliberately spreading misinformation because you don't have a clue as to the answer and feel it's your place to make 'educated' guesses and pass them off as gospel truth. The answer does not depend on the level at which it's asked. It was -16 when I was eleven years old, it had been -16 for many decades before that, it's still -16 now that I'm a maths student at Cambridge, and it will continue to be so no matter how many people you force to believe it's not.
generalebriety
You're being a complete moron. You're deliberately spreading misinformation because you don't have a clue as to the answer and feel it's your place to make 'educated' guesses and pass them off as gospel truth.

you are being the moron...
theres 2 possible answers to this question, depending on where the negative sign is placed....

Latest