The Student Room Group

Brexit voting week: 'Extension to Article 50' vote passes 412-202

Scroll to see replies

Looks like no deal or no Brexit at this point - neither ideal
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Looks like no deal or no Brexit at this point - neither ideal

I would call no brexit at all ideal. Common sense would have prevailed...
Original post by Burton Bridge
The problem we have now is we will almost certainly we will have an extension of A50. This means we will get screwed by the EU, with heavy fines and longer extensions of A50.

We are now telling businesses we have no idea what's going to happen for longer and we are far more likely to get even more I certain in the future.

I personally think unless we leave no deal 29th we are going to accelerate the damage we are likely to suffer.

The uncertainty surrounding extending article 50 means a no deal is the best way forward, and it always was when the UK voted to leave. New trade patterns will form overtime, I assure you. Both the EU and the UK will suffer short term, but long term the UK can open itself up to more trade as the EU is nothing more than a giant protectionist scheme.

The likelihood of article 50 being extended is very small, due to the tight time frame and the fact many eurosceptics are all across the continent (particularly in Hungary, Poland, Italy, Greece) who would like to see us crash out, either to see the true consequences/benefits or to destabilise the union.
The problem we have now is we will almost certainly we will have an extension of A50. This means we will get screwed by the EU, with heavy fines and longer extensions of A50.

We are now telling businesses we have no idea what's going to happen for longer and we are far more likely to get even more I certain in the future.

I personally think unless we leave no deal 29th we are going to accelerate the damage we are likely to suffer.

So you are now openly admitting that we are likely to suffer damage as a result of this entire farcical process.

Riddle me this. If this situation is likely to cause damage, as you have stated, why would we proceed? Surely common sense should dictate to go with the choice that will result in no damage whatsoever, which would be to remain, rather than some half cocked solution which we seem to have on the table at the moment? The fact that the pound has shot through the roof because remaining looks more likely than ever should tell you that remaining is the only logical option...
what happens if we vote to extend article 50 but the EU says no?
Original post by goatiee
The uncertainty surrounding extending article 50 means a no deal is the best way forward, and it always was when the UK voted to leave. New trade patterns will form overtime, I assure you. Both the EU and the UK will suffer short term, but long term the UK can open itself up to more trade as the EU is nothing more than a giant protectionist scheme.

The likelihood of article 50 being extended is very small, due to the tight time frame and the fact many eurosceptics are all across the continent (particularly in Hungary, Poland, Italy, Greece) who would like to see us crash out, either to see the true consequences/benefits or to destabilise the union.

You assure us? Brilliant. Now that I know the fate of my country is safe over your assurances I completely agree... Lets just piss into the wind and throw this country off the side of a cliff...
Original post by AperfectBalance
Honestly at this point my faith in not just may but the whole of our government system is at rock bottom, I would much rather we bring back the monarchy in full or at least get rid of this broken and diseased system called democracy

British democaracy at its very core is set up to stop large, significant and wide ranging change and it has only ever increased it's enfranchisement when it has become untenable not to. Brexit has broken the system because it's supposed to stop stuff like this ever happening in the first place.

Original post by Retired_Messiah

As far as I can tell... no deal exit on the 29th.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
No-deal vote tomorrow. The PM sounded almost tearful.

She did not sound good in the slightest
Original post by Retired_Messiah

Then we leave with no deal on 29th March. The EU is unlikely to want that to happen and will agree to extend A50, BUT I wouldn't be surprised if they want to extend for a longer period, almost certainly beyond the upcoming EU elections (end of May). My money is on 6-12 months.

Then the UK calls a snap GE (or a 2nd referendum) and it all kicks off again...
(edited 5 years ago)
Honestly at this point my faith in not just may but the whole of our government system is at rock bottom, I would much rather we bring back the monarchy in full or at least get rid of this broken and diseased system called democracy

Presidential style system for the UK while keeping the monarchy? At least Trump can get things done.
Original post by Doones
Then we leave with no deal on 29th March. The EU is unlikely to want that to happen and will agree to extend A50, BUT I wouldn't be surprised if they want to extend for a longer period, almost certainly beyond the upcoming EU elections (end of May). My money is on 6-12 months.

Then the UK calls a snap GE (or a 2nd referendum) and it all kicks off again...

The EU will want an extension till before elections, or long past them, more likely a year.

They have also made clear they want the UK to actually offer them something worth waiting for, I don't think the UK can do that.
Original post by mojojojo101
The EU will want an extension till before elections, or long past them, more likely a year.

They have also made clear they want the UK to actually offer them something worth waiting for, I don't think the UK can do that.

The problem with a short extension is the EU won't materially change it's position, and TM is very unlikely to get parliament to pass yet another series of meaningful votes on her deal.

I agree a long extension is more preferable from the EU's side.
Original post by Myaniad
Presidential style system for the UK while keeping the monarchy? At least Trump can get things done.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38663043
Original post by Myaniad

Is that a joke? He's been terrible at getting things done, even his own campaign promises. It's the most dysfunctional administration in living memory.
Original post by imlikeahermit
You assure us? Brilliant. Now that I know the fate of my country is safe over your assurances I completely agree... Lets just piss into the wind and throw this country off the side of a cliff...

Well, yeah, it's pretty obvious that new trading patterns will form overtime. Before joining the EU most of our trade happened with the US and African countries (north-south trade was common), and trade with European countries was a very small percentage compared to what it is today.

Obviously when joining a customs union or anything deeper our trade will be diverted to mainly trading with EU countries. It's not at all optimistic to say that new trade patterns will form with other countries once we leave, because they most definitely will as long as tariffs are kept low or non-existent in the UK - which would be fine for us since any tariff revenue we got previously went straight to Brussels at the cost of consumers!

And referring to your previous comment, the pound had not shot through the roof (????) and remaining is not looking ever more likely.

I think many feel exactly the same regarding faith in the Westminster MPs, I k ow I certainly do.

I fear the coming days are going to cause serious damage to our country. Its not no deal I fear, it's the backlash from the people if the politicians ignore the 2016 referendum.

But regards the monarchy..... I want rid of it never mind anything else
(edited 5 years ago)
I would call no brexit at all ideal. Common sense would have prevailed...

Is this a typo? Are you actually saying you would call no brexit ideal?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by goatiee

While I voted for Brexit I am a passionate believer in democracy and the UK far more than I'm hard core brexiteer.

As I said above I personally fear the damage in the coming days are going to cause serious damage to our country. Its not no deal I fear, it's the backlash from the people if the politicians ignore the 2016 referendum, this will be far worse than any fall out from no deal.

I genuinely hope you are right, I don't think I agree with you regarding no deal being ultimate ideal but it's certainly the lesser evil compared to no brexit at all in consequence terms anyway.

The hard core remainers on here need a reality check, if they get what they want the damage they will do to our democracy will be massive and if we look to his history or global examples, it's unsavory leaders that emerge from the Ashes of a burning democracy.
(edited 5 years ago)
So you are now openly admitting that we are likely to suffer damage as a result of this entire farcical process.

Riddle me this. If this situation is likely to cause damage, as you have stated, why would we proceed? Surely common sense should dictate to go with the choice that will result in no damage whatsoever, which would be to remain, rather than some half cocked solution which we seem to have on the table at the moment? The fact that the pound has shot through the roof because remaining looks more likely than ever should tell you that remaining is the only logical option...

Both hard core side and this forum seems to have its quoter of totally deluded remainers, I think need to take their blind folds off and look at the reality of the situation at hand.

Do you just make random rubbish up as you go along? I just had a quick look at the pound exchange rate on reading you're message and I found nothing to back you're claim at all

https://www.exchangerates.org.uk/British-Pound-GBP-currency-table.html

I can say I'm a sex god and the meandulful vote got me a hot threesome last night celebrating, but that don't make it true! FFS, we can all just talk BS of what we actually want to happen but it doesn't mean it's actually happening!!

Both sides seem to get so eat up in political point scoring they can't open their eyes to what's actually happening, show me where I have ever said no deal is ideal and will not cause any pain/problems? If you do find this (which you won't because I've never said it) then I'll apologise for talking rubbish.

You are saying and I quote

"commonsense should dictate to go with the choice that will result in no damage whatsoever, which would be to remain"

How will that cause no damage? Go on how...
(edited 5 years ago)
While I voted for Brexit I am a passionate believer in democracy and the UK far more than I'm hard core brexiteer.

As I said above I personally fear the damage in the coming days are going to cause serious damage to our country. Its not no deal I fear, it's the backlash from the people if the politicians ignore the 2016 referendum, this will be far worse than any fall out from no deal.

I genuinely hope you are right, I don't think I agree with you regarding no deal being ultimate ideal but it's certainly the lesser evil compared to no brexit at all in consequence terms anyway.

The hard core remainers on here need a reality check, if they get what they want the damage they will do to our democracy will be massive and if we look to his history or global examples, it's unsavory leaders that emerge from the Ashes of a burning democracy.

I completely agree with you on pretty much all your points.

Expanding on the point that no deal brexit is the "best way forward" (not the ultimate deal) - obviously in the beginning a trade deal would've been ideal more so than a no deal, but not the one May has negotiated now or before, and it's not the UK's fault in my opinion. It's just incredibly hard to negotiate trade deals with the EU regardless because every country is trying to protect their own interests and their own trades within the union.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending