Hull York Medical School vs Norwich Medical School Watch

imgoodthanks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hi all. i’ve received offers from both of these med schools for 2019 entry and i’m really struggling to choose between them. can i get some opinions/ideas on which might be better or just some pros and cons?

right now i’m pretty torn because i have good reasons to choose either uni. i have family friends near York, where i’ve been assigned and i like the place, but UEA seems to have a slightly higher ranking and seems to be more recognised for its med course.

unfortunately, i’m an international student and i haven’t had the chance to visit Norwich, so it’s really hard for me to make a decision based on the location and student life. this plays a pretty big part in determining my decision considering that i’m going to be so far away from home. (that is, if i don’t mess up my finals!!)

if it helps, i guess i’m looking for a more LGBT-friendly area and if possible, somewhere with an alternative music scene (e.g. punk, goth, alt-rock). an accepting environment is at the top of my list. regarding stuff like nightlife, i’m still not sure where i stand but i definitely know i don’t want my uni years to be boring!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
University of East Anglia
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by imgoodthanks)
hi all. i’ve received offers from both of these med schools for 2019 entry and i’m really struggling to choose between them. can i get some opinions/ideas on which might be better or just some pros and cons?

right now i’m pretty torn because i have good reasons to choose either uni. i have family friends near York, where i’ve been assigned and i like the place, but UEA seems to have a slightly higher ranking and seems to be more recognised for its med course.

unfortunately, i’m an international student and i haven’t had the chance to visit Norwich, so it’s really hard for me to make a decision based on the location and student life. this plays a pretty big part in determining my decision considering that i’m going to be so far away from home. (that is, if i don’t mess up my finals!!)

if it helps, i guess i’m looking for a more LGBT-friendly area and if possible, somewhere with an alternative music scene (e.g. punk, goth, alt-rock). an accepting environment is at the top of my list. regarding stuff like nightlife, i’m still not sure where i stand but i definitely know i don’t want my uni years to be boring!
Hello,

It's great to hear that you're thinking of studying at UEA! You might want to take a look at this Unistats page which provides you with a comparison between Medicine at UEA and Hull York which might be useful

Although I don't have personal experience of studying Medicine, I do have plenty of experience with the university and Norwich. Before I graduated in July 2018 I had been studying Media Studies here for four years (including a foundation year) and now work here as the result of an internship. The campus is really lovely, it's the perfect combination of concrete and green space, and there is a great sense of community with many societies and different events going on throughout the year. Someone actually asked a very similar question regarding LGBT at UEA on our AskUEA page

As for Norwich, I have lived here my entire life (so perhaps a little bias...) but it is a wonderful place to live, especially as a young person. Although it is a slightly smaller city there is a lot to explore! As for alternative music, there are plenty of places that accommodate this! One example is The Waterfront which is a great venue for live music and club nights to suite different music tastes, including metal, goth and alternative rock. It's certainly very popular here with students :headbang:

Hopefully that's answered your questions but please do let me know if you have anymore!

Heidi
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads