The Student Room Group

Living with a partner

I am a mature student with three children, currently receiving maximum loan and will be recieving tuition fee loan as well. If I move in with my partner, how much will I still be able to receive? I've been searching online but the advice is confusing.
Hi,

Based on your message we are likely assessing you as an independent student. This means you don't require a sponsor and are receiving funding based on your unearned income.

If you have a cohabiting partner and are over 25 years old then we would use their income details to assess you. Are you receiving and grants such as Parental Learning Allowance or Childcare Grant? If so you would need to tell us as soon as possible and we would reassess your current year.

Alternatively, if you are only receiving Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fee Loan then you can advise us of the change when you next apply.

Thanks, Tégan
Reply 2
Hi

I do receive parents learning allowance and childcare grant. I didn't realise that they are means assessed as well. My question really is what is the minimum I will be eligible to still receive?

Thanks
Corrine
Hi Corrine,

We can't advise what the minimum grants would be as if your household income is over threshold following this change you would not be entitled to them.
In terms of Maintenance Loan, which year of your course are you in?
Have you checked our Student Finance Calculator here?

Thanks, Tégan
Reply 4
On my partner's highest likely income I get this result

12754B10-DE0C-4ACD-86F8-8D3109021614.jpg.jpeg

At what level do you lose those grants?
Reply 5
I'm still in year one by the way
Okay Corrine,

For the 19/20 academic year the household income needs to be below £26212.04 for Childcare Grant if you have 2 or more children and £18,342 for Parental Learning Allowance.

Thanks, Tégan
Reply 7
The calculator results show the above result though with an income of £70,000?
Hi Corrine,

The thresholds are different for the grants and your Maintenance Loan. The calculator will show you the estimates for your Maintenance Loan based on the information you provide. Whereas the figures I have advised above are for grants.

Thanks, Tégan
Reply 9
The calculator is highly misleading then. I'll be lost without the childcare grant, losing the loan amount was bad, it looks like we can't afford to live together. I'm right in thinking that no matter how separate we want to keep our finances you will still consider his income anyway?
Hi Corrine,

The calculator is an estimate as it advises, to know exactly what your finance would be you would need to make an application and have an assessor review this.

If you have a cohabiting partner then this means it would be taken into account regardless of how you use that income.

Thanks, Tégan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending