Italy bans unvaccinated children from school Watch

-Eirlys-
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47536981

"Italian children have been told not to turn up to school unless they can prove they have been properly vaccinated.
The deadline follows months of national debate over compulsory vaccination.

Parents risk being fined up to €500 (£425; $560) if they send their unvaccinated children to school. Children under six can be turned away.

The new law came amid a surge in measles cases - but Italian officials say vaccination rates have improved since it was introduced."
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hannxm)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47536981

"Italian children have been told not to turn up to school unless they can prove they have been properly vaccinated.
The deadline follows months of national debate over compulsory vaccination.

Parents risk being fined up to €500 (£425; $560) if they send their unvaccinated children to school. Children under six can be turned away.

The new law came amid a surge in measles cases - but Italian officials say vaccination rates have improved since it was introduced."
That's just dum. Poor kids :erm:
Palmyra
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Great idea. The unvaccinated kids can all go to the same school and spread their diseases freely, but they don't have a right to infect the children of non-retarded parents.
-Eirlys-
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by thestudent33)
They should get vaccinated then. You should be saying poor kids because their parents aren't protecting them from disease.
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They should get vaccinated then. You should be saying poor kids because their parents aren't protecting them from disease.
Some parent's don't want this done tho, so the school should recognise that.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Isn't the risk that these unvaccinated kids could carry diseases and infect kids who cannot accept vaccinations for medical reasons?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How so? Many countries have equivalent rules, including Belgium, France, USA and several Australian states. It makes sure that society is protected by herd immunity from dangerous diseases.

Perhaps the space vacated by ISIS in the Middle east can be turned over to the anti-vaxxers so they can have their own civilisation without modern medical techniques.
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sure, let's open the kids up to catching diseases that should have died out centuries ago. :rolleyes:
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So? They're idiots and wrong. Don't have to recognise something that's moronic, anti-science, and not based in any kind of fact.
-Eirlys-
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
There's a reason the government is getting involved; it's in the best interest of the rest of the country/world when people get vaccinated. The few who choose not to vaccinate can lead to an epidemic.
(Original post by Notoriety)
Isn't the risk that these unvaccinated kids could carry diseases and infect kids who cannot accept vaccinations for medical reasons?
I've not heard of people not being able to have vaccines for medical reasons? If that was the case though, they could just get a note from their doctor to say so.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The best recognition of a child, unvaccinated without medical reason, is to keep it away from the school in the interests of society.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've not heard of people not being able to have vaccines for medical reasons? If that was the case though, they could just get a note from their doctor to say so.
I am not familiar with the anti-vax debate -- as some on here who enjoy it. I thought this was an aspect of it.

No, I mean the harm in not vaccinating is in what it does to others. I.e. I was providing a justification for this rule (if what I said is correct).

You seem to think I was rejecting it and saying "the poor kids cannot get vaccinated and they're gonna be kicked out of school".
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe there is a God
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some people don't want to pay tax, or obey the speed limit, or not murder people.
Did you have a point?
ThunderBeard
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The few who choose not to vaccinate can lead to an epidemic.
How tho? Those who don’t vaccinate are the only ones at risk from this disease since all the others have resistance.
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Those parents are intellectually barren pinheads who think chatrooms are a more credible source of information that scientific research.
Excuse me? Poor kids?

We’ll see how poor they are when all the children are safe from measles, polio, tetanus, Hepatitis B and whopping cough and they actually live to graduate.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I am not familiar with the anti-vax debate
It is very simple: on one hand, some idiots believe that vaccines cause harm, based on coincidental conditions arising after a vaccine in some people, and refuse to have them; on the other side of the debate are scientists who say, with evidence, that they are wrong.

It is rather like choosing not to drink water because people have been known to have a heart attack immediately after doing so.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ThunderBeard)
How tho? Those who don’t vaccinate are the only ones at risk from this disease since all the others have resistance.
No. There are always people (babies, for instance) who are as yet unvaccinated and need the herd immunity for protection, and there are a few people (ones with life-threatening allergies or cancer sufferers) who cannot use vaccine. We need 95% of all people to be vaccinated to protect these people, so don't want people unvaccinated because of anti-vaxxing.
Last edited by Good bloke; 1 week ago
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
No. There are always people (babies, for instance) who are as yet unvaccinated and need the herd immunity for protection, and there are a few people (ones with life-threatening allergies or cancer sufferers) who cannot use vaccine.
That and no one want's to be tripping over all the rotting corpses of medieval diseases, gross :mad:
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ThunderBeard)
There are people who cannot be vaccinated due to existing illness, poor immune system, etc. These conditions often make them especially at-risk from common diseases like measles and mumps. These are the people protected by "herd immunity". Once the number of unvaccinated people in a group reaches a certain level, herd immunity no longer works.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads