Italy bans unvaccinated children from school Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Drewski)
So? They're idiots and wrong. Don't have to recognise something that's moronic, anti-science, and not based in any kind of fact.
Some or many of the parents being sucked into this are really victims of a what is now a significant conspiracy, involving major online players and people close to Trump and other international nasties. It's quite hard to know what really motivates the Alt-Right conspiracy-mongers who are behind a lot of this stuff - it may be a mixture of investors in the huge dodgy alternative medicines industry and people who just hate the human race and gain enjoyment from other's suffering. Whatever it is, people need protection from it.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Some or many of the parents being sucked into this are really victims
They don't get any sympathy from me because it's so easy to disprove.
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
IMO the objective should be to get parents to want vaccinations for their kids... but if that doesn't work you're going to need the stick as well.

Appears to be the alternative of paying a £425 fine... middle class ninnies might just regard that as an optional payment.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Drewski)
They don't get any sympathy from me because it's so easy to disprove.
I wasn't assuming sympathy, but an objective assessment of why this is happening. People are vulnerable to confusing messages because in the past aspects of the medical industry have been less than trustworthy. It can be very difficult sometimes to discern which critiques of existing scientific medicine have something to them and which are false.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It can be very difficult sometimes to discern which critiques of existing scientific medicine have something to them and which are false.
But, in 2019, it is not diffcult to understand that the anti-vaxxer-in-chief was actually struck off many years ago and should be paid as much attention as my left shoe.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
But, in 2019, it is not diffcult to understand that the anti-vaxxer-in-chief was actually struck off many years ago and should be paid as much attention as my left shoe.
Indeed, but even now I wonder at how much people are willing to ignore important facts when they go against a predisposed world view. I suspect that many of the parents falling for the anti-vaxx line belong to groups sceptical of science generally, for one reason or another.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Indeed, but even now I wonder at how much people are willing to ignore important facts when they go against a predisposed world view. I suspect that many of the parents falling for the anti-vaxx line belong to groups sceptical of science generally, for one reason or another.
One does wonder how they think their cars, telephones and computers work so consistently if science gets it wrong so often and so badly.
LuigiMario
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
quite a few universities recommend (some might insist) that fresher students come with as many vax as possible, and suggest especially meningitis, against particular strains.

a trip to Leeds university "reception", one week before term started last year, and I was convinced it was the United Nations general assembly instead of the Parky building. Wonderful humans (and their associated biome) from every corner of the sphere.

https://www.meningitisnow.org/how-we...-universities/
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by QE2)
There are people who cannot be vaccinated due to existing illness, poor immune system, etc. These conditions often make them especially at-risk from common diseases like measles and mumps. These are the people protected by "herd immunity". Once the number of unvaccinated people in a group reaches a certain level, herd immunity no longer works.
Let them stay at home instead. If they vaccines are working properly then no one else will be at risk.
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Some or many of the parents being sucked into this are really victims of a what is now a significant conspiracy, involving major online players and people close to Trump and other international nasties. It's quite hard to know what really motivates the Alt-Right conspiracy-mongers who are behind a lot of this stuff - it may be a mixture of investors in the huge dodgy alternative medicines industry and people who just hate the human race and gain enjoyment from other's suffering. Whatever it is, people need protection from it.
It doesn't help the argument when people resort to childish labels or cliches such as herd immunity.
People should be asking themselves how effective are these forced drugs and what is the testing and followup regime and how could it be affected by conflicts of interest instead of parroting what they have heard on mumsnet.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Great news
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
It doesn't help the argument when people resort to childish labels or cliches such as herd immunity.
People should be asking themselves how effective are these forced drugs and what is the testing and followup regime and how could it be affected by conflicts of interest instead of parroting what they have heard on mumsnet.
Herd immunity is a medical term, not a cliche. You may not like it but it is what scientists, academics, doctors and,.indeed, governments use to describe the effect.

https://www.ovg.ox.ac.uk/news/herd-i...w-does-it-work

https://www.vaccines.gov/basics/work...ion/index.html

https://campaigns.health.gov.au/immu...-herd-immunity
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
Let them stay at home instead. If they vaccines are working properly then no one else will be at risk.
What? People who can't be vaccinated should stay at home because some people choose not to vaccinate their children - for no good reason?
-Eirlys-
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ThunderBeard)
How tho? Those who don’t vaccinate are the only ones at risk from this disease since all the others have resistance.
It's a risk to those who aren't old enough to get vaccinated yet or haven't got vaccinated yet who don't want to get sick with deadly diseases. It also allows the resurgence of diseases that have been almost completely eradicated which reverses all the work done so far.
looloo2134
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Still some people won't vaccinate their children what happened to those children.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
Still some people won't vaccinate their children what happened to those children.
They're all going to die.
DSutch
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can understand the argument and why it has been done in Italy, but cannot see it happening at least country-wide in the UK. Unless the DUP believe in it, which I doubt. Presumably Jacob Rees-Mogg is against it as it was not about in the 17th Century.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Italy dont want disease in their country yet they are looking to join the belt and road initiative
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DSutch)
I can understand the argument and why it has been done in Italy, but cannot see it happening at least country-wide in the UK. Unless the DUP believe in it, which I doubt. Presumably Jacob Rees-Mogg is against it as it was not about in the 17th Century.
Eh.

Edward Jenner was active around the 18th century - I'm sure JRM can accommodate for an extra century

(Original post by AperfectBalance)
Italy dont want disease in their country yet they are looking to join the belt and road initiative
What has the Belt and Road initiative got to do with vaccinations?
laurawatt
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
herd immunity though :unsure:

EDIT: the levels have dropped to 80% which is too low for herd immunity - I'm pretty sure its 85/90% for herd immunity to work
Last edited by laurawatt; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (128)
17.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.21%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (218)
30.49%

Watched Threads