The Student Room Group

Would anyone be able to make a definitive tier system for law at unis

Hi,I’ve seen so many of these threads where people are asking if X uni’s reputation is better than Y uni’s for law or if they should go to X or Y for law so would anyone knowledgable be able to make a close enough list to stop these debates?Not an order obviously as that’s going to be subjective but maybe a tier system that’ll stop people from making the threads?Thanks so much as I’m curious as well :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I find them frustrating as well because people ask if their job prospects will be better if they go to Warwick over Leeds or something like it doesn’t matter 😂

From what I’ve gathered:

Tier 1: Oxbridge
Tier 2: UCL, LSE
Tier 3: Kings, Durham, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Warwick, York, Exeter, Manchester, Newcastle, Bristol, Sheffield, Glasgow
Tier 4: Birmingham, Southampton, Liverpool, Leicester, UEA, Reading, Sussex, Dundee, Kent

Now everyone can come and attack me
Don't know. Don't care.
Reply 3
Not one of these again 😂

Just go to the place which you like the most and feel happiest at - people put too much emphasis on what uni when it won’t matter too much to employers.

But your ranking seems fair enough and about right, don’t see why Birmingham is any worse than Sheffield or Newcastle though.
Original post by Arisapo
Not one of these again 😂

Just go to the place which you like the most and feel happiest at - people put too much emphasis on what uni when it won’t matter too much to employers.

But your ranking seems fair enough and about right, don’t see why Birmingham is any worse than Sheffield or Newcastle though.

That's why these games never work. They're arbitrary selections.
Original post by MaiaHughes2000
I find them frustrating as well because people ask if their job prospects will be better if they go to Warwick over Leeds or something like it doesn’t matter 😂

From what I’ve gathered:

Tier 1: Oxbridge
Tier 2: UCL, LSE
Tier 3: Kings, Durham, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Warwick, York, Exeter, Manchester, Newcastle, Bristol, Sheffield, Glasgow
Tier 4: Birmingham, Southampton, Liverpool, Leicester, UEA, Reading, Sussex, Dundee, Kent

Now everyone can come and attack me

erm, no. just, no.

Sheffield, Newcastle in the same tier as Bristol, Kings, Durham?
Reply 6
Original post by Notoriety
That's why these games never work. They're arbitrary selections.

Clearly - I mean most of the RG ones are roughly the same apart from Liverpool which seems to be a notch below.

Don’t hear anything about Cardiff either.
Reply 7
Original post by Princepieman
erm, no. just, no.

Sheffield, Newcastle in the same tier as Bristol, Kings, Durham?

I think more or less the point is that an employer won’t really care too much if you went to Sheffield over Bristol at the end of the day.
Original post by Arisapo
I think more or less the point is that an employer won’t really care too much if you went to Sheffield over Bristol at the end of the day.

It's not about "not caring", if we're talking straight reputation (which is pretty easy to verify based on law firm ££££s, eventual VS/TC placement #s and attention aka events) there is literally no way you can compare those universities. it would be a much smoother ride to a top law firm going to a Bristol or Durham or Exeter where law firms literally just thrust money at the unis than it would going to Sheffield or Newcastle.
Reply 9
Original post by Princepieman
It's not about "not caring", if we're talking straight reputation (which is pretty easy to verify based on law firm ££££s, eventual VS/TC placement #s and attention aka events) there is literally no way you can compare those universities. it would be a much smoother ride to a top law firm going to a Bristol or Durham or Exeter where law firms literally just thrust money at the unis than it would going to Sheffield or Newcastle.

Reputation is a different ballgame and obviously Durham is more reputable than Sheffield say but it’s still a good university and there’s too much emphasis on “reputation”’ which is completely subjective.

It’s like when people say “is Durham or Exeter better for law” - there’s no real right answer.
There can’t be a definitive tier system as it’ll keep on changing and is completely subjective.

If you go to Exeter say and get a 2:1 and have lots on the side, you’ll be at no real disadvantage to someone from Newcastle who did exactly the same.
Where does your hatred for Notts stem from? Before I go ahead and choose it... 😂
I definitely have time considering I could make it my firm choice 😂
Original post by MaiaHughes2000
Hi,I’ve seen so many of these threads where people are asking if X uni’s reputation is better than Y uni’s for law or if they should go to X or Y for law so would anyone knowledgable be able to make a close enough list to stop these debates?Not an order obviously as that’s going to be subjective but maybe a tier system that’ll stop people from making the threads?Thanks so much as I’m curious as well :smile:

They are best to be avoided imo.
Some unis imo are elites and better than others, but its a handful, then there are a few groups of good respected unis and so on.

The arguments come from those who think their selection is correct and how much it matters to employers. They forget the complexity of recruitment and the other factors that go into deciding whether a candidate is successful or not. People often want to put their uni much further up the list.

They also fail to take into account that not every student wants to go to MC or that there are other firms outside the MC.

Get the best A levels you can and go from there.
Christ, you weren't joking about the story being petty, long and boring.
Don't know. Don't care.

Have they put something in the water? I thought the other thread was enough to last months.
Did you think it made a good read?
And long? Might be a bigger burn if it makes sense, kiddo.

I like how you said you didn't need to do "ILETS" because you speak English. That was cracking.
With absolutely no bias or axe to grind, then it wasnt fun to read. You made yourself sound a bit special. Would benefit from a redraft or two.
You only backed down cos tigger dunked on you as well. HAHHAA.

Bit unfair to drag me into your lovers tiff.

On an impartial basis I clicked on the thread, started to read it and as it went on and on, started to think what on earth is this, let me out. Felt more like stream of consciousness.

I'm sure her English is far better than my version of whatever her native language is.

Just be nice to each other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending